The Planet - Dual Xeon vs. Quad Core

Hey everyone,

About a month ago (I think) ThePlanet had an offer where you could double your RAM, HDD and BW for ~$50 monthly.

We chose to go with this configuration:

Dual Xeon 3.2 - SCSI
    RAM (MB): 4,096
    HDD (GB): 300
    BW (GB): 5,000

The server came online super fast, we're using it at the moment for a hobby gameserver and it's working great.

HOWEVER

I was in Orbit earlier and noticed that in the hardware configuration it states we have a single processor setup.

It turns out we are on the following configuration:

Intel \ 2.13 GHz 1066FSB - Kentsfield \ Xeon 3210 (Quad Core)
    RAM (MB): 4,096
    HDD (GB): 300
    BW (GB): 5,000

I submitted a ticket asking about this and here's the response:

We have received your ticket, According to your hardware object it states that you have a Intel \ 2.13 GHz 1066FSB - Xeon 3210 (Quad Core) CPU, You do have a single physical processor in your server, but your CPU is a quad core so it works its as a dual xeon cpu. If you need more info on your CPU you can click the link listed below to read more about the current proccessor you have in your server.

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ifications.htm

Like I said, the server is running great. I just don't want to sell ourselves short as we did want the Dual Xeon setup.

Thanks guys.

Perhaps this is only a nice "trick" of ThePlanet to save money, as a single Quadcore CPU is cheaper than two Xeons (espacially if it would be Dualcore Xeons). Perhaps they save money with the Mainboard, too, as there are much cheaper Socket 775 Boards than 771 or 604.

But I think you got a more powerful server - Xeon Quadcore single CPU will be better than Xeon Singlecore dual CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by space2rent View Post
    Perhaps this is only a nice "trick" of ThePlanet to save money, as a single Quadcore CPU is cheaper than two Xeons (espacially if it would be Dualcore Xeons). Perhaps they save money with the Mainboard, too, as there are much cheaper Socket 775 Boards than 771 or 604.

But I think you got a more powerful server - Xeon Quadcore single CPU will be better than Xeon Singlecore dual CPU.
    As long as it should be on par or better I won't cause a stink. If this was a business server I'd be a little mad but I guess this all worked out.

Thanks again for the help.

Regardless if one was more powerful or equivalent to the other, shouldn't they at least notify the client prior to setup? This definitely would have helped
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan View Post
    Regardless if one was more powerful or equivalent to the other, shouldn't they at least notify the client prior to setup? This definitely would have helped
    Agreed. I had a good chuckle when I noticed it. Anyways, no harm no foul I guess.

Basically they gave you the next level up server in terms of pricing.

The kentsfield base pricing is 309 and the dual xeon 3.2 base is 299. But yeah you got a nice deal there now It's definitely better.
    My education is finally over at 28... But now I am looking for a full time job and tru lurrv...
    Have you found the WHT rules & guidelines? Took me 4 years!