Anybody used or using 1and1

They look like they have their decent share of the market and they are having good offers - 50% discount.
    Has anybody tried or currently using one of their dedicated servers?

Thanks

Just do a search of 1and1 review.

I used 1and1 back in 2003. But my needs exceeded so I ordered one of their better servers. Waited for 3 weeks, never did get it, so I moved on.

When I was there they were great, despite numerous complaints on WHT. I guess mainly because I never contacted their tech support cause I could take care of everything by myself.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

They have a custom kernel that may get annoying for power users, their network routing isn't always that good, and if you ever need to open a ticket, you'll never get a competent reply.

Besides that, they're pretty good.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

We use their dedicated servers (windows) and have had great uptime, network speed is always fast and reliable. The functionality they offer is great for disaster recovery you can use the control panel to perform a hardware reboot if the machine is completely down or shutdown inadvertently. You can also reboot into safe mode if necessary. You have full serial port access so you can access the server even if network is down, this even allows you to monitor the real time status of the server as it boots up. In real disaster situation you can even reprovision the entire server from scratch with new OS.

Now I give all these positives as I really think the reason that you have so much control is that 1and1 understand that they are going to provide you with little to no top level support. This is the big catch and the glaring complaint you will hear throughout these forums. Their support without doubt is probably on par with the worst out there. As we've never had any critical hardware issue or major downtime we've not yet had to put this level of support to the test but when and if we do let's say I am a little concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by bitserve View Post
    They have a custom kernel that may get annoying for power users, their network routing isn't always that good, and if you ever need to open a ticket, you'll never get a competent reply.
    Totally agree that the support sucks (like 19+ days with no backup server, nothing but BS from tech support during that period - and the data gone when it returned) - *but* the kernel can be rebuilt by the power user with no problem.

When I was hosting with them the service was OK, but the tech support, help and paperwork when you needed to upgrade your service or change something was a pain... but that was a few years ago, they might have changed now. But the service was OK from what I remember.

Used them from 2002 to 2004.

Avoid like the plague. You want to cancel then they make that hard and always lose your cancellation forms which you have to fax! Nope they will not accept signed, scanned and emailed!

Support is always a few days to reply. And then you get a useless response. A support issue could go on for days.

Overbilling. Well try proving they are wrong. Accounts will ignore you. Techs will ignore you. You end up paying otherwise they hijack your entire account including all domains.

And the control panel is extremely slow and buggy.

I'd avoid 1and1 if I were you.
    ...loading

I had a root server for a year and was happy with everything (cost, speed, services) until my first need for support. My server hung while shutting down on a Friday night and they would not fix it over the weekend. My 12 production websites were down because nobody would go over to my server and press the power button. Their call center (at least for the US) is outsourced and has no effective communication with their data centers. The heavily accented customer support folks read from FAQ cards as I begged them to restore my server. If you choose to get 1and1 and your server has a hardware or network issue on a weekend, god help you.

Ive got 3 servers with. No major issues to speak off. Had a couple of disk failures which resulted in days of downtime (you need to convince them the disk has gone, and thats not easy). Price isnt too bad.

If you do a search on the net, I found a site (forgot the name) which had the numbers of all their data centres. I called one of these and within minutes the disk was changed! I suppose you have to know who to complain too
    Damien

Very VERY good as long as you know what you're doing.

Don't expect support. At all.
    semi-retired

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon View Post

The truth of 1 and 1. Make a search here and you would find a lot of negative reviews

We've never had a dedicated server or webhosting from them. But we did hold a large portfolio of domains with them years ago and I can pledge that ANY accounting issue that arises (your fault or theirs) results in your entire account being frozen. So if you have dedicated servers, webhosting, domains etc... all in the same account, your going to be really SOL if something happens. Our problem was the domains we were purchasing (in bulk) didn't have their prices listed. So we assumed the pricing was one thing when it was actually ALOT more.

1&1 has positioned itself the way it has because it's pretty much exempt from certain laws. They come in with a Pennsylvania address but the more you look into that, you end up in another country with sailboat picture of 1&1. Im pretty sure it would really really be hard taking any type of legal action against them in the event you were taken advantage of. Judging only from the domain busines we've had and hosting reviews we've seen, NEXT
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

Even if you know what you're doing, you shouldn't trust 1and1 for any website or service that can't be down for 72 hours and not suffer. I can administer my boxes (security, patching, config) just fine. What I can't do is to push the power button when it needs it.

I've heard some positive things about their tech support. But trust me, if your issue isn't something that the guys in the Philippine call center can't remotely do, you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by bread_man View Post
    Even if you know what you're doing, you shouldn't trust 1and1 for any website or service that can't be down for 72 hours and not suffer. I can administer my boxes (security, patching, config) just fine. What I can't do is to push the power button when it needs it.

I've heard some positive things about their tech support. But trust me, if your issue isn't something that the guys in the Philippine call center can't remotely do, you're screwed.
    i've had 100% uptime for ..the past 2 years
    semi-retired

i've had 100% uptime for ..the past 2 years
    I had 100% uptime for 1 year. That doesn't say anything about the quality of 1and1's support. When my server went down and I needed them to recycle the power, I was ignored for days and my production websites inaccessible. That does say something about their support.

I moved on. With sincerity, I hope you don't run into any need for data center support (especially on the weekend) during the remainder of your stay with 1and1.

Quote Originally Posted by bread_man View Post
    I had 100% uptime for 1 year. That doesn't say anything about the quality of 1and1's support. When my server went down and I needed them to recycle the power, I was ignored for days and my production websites inaccessible. That does say something about their support.

I moved on. With sincerity, I hope you don't run into any need for data center support (especially on the weekend) during the remainder of your stay with 1and1.
    I get your point. Even asking them if they support <apache module> takes 3 days for a response.
    semi-retired

They outsource their support to the Philippines ...
    Purchased a server with them, never did receive it. One month later did a charge back.

We had a dns at 1&1 in Germany (you know, just to have DNS in different networks). They needed 4 days to replace bad CPU fan, because they didn't worked on holidays.

Regards,
    Alex

OK, I am not here to defend their support as it is well below acceptable but just want to give our experience feedback fwiw.

8 months - 5 dedicated servers 100% uptime hardware and network.

Now what I don't understand about this post is for all the things bad about 1&1 the things that are great are exactly what SHOULD have helped you to quickly resolve your issue by yourself.

Namely
    1. Full serial (sercon) access
    2. Full control to trigger a hard reset of your server directly from your control panel.

Both the above have saved me several times and as much as I fear and dread the day I need real support from them I am missing why you actually needed someone on the dc to power cycle your server when you can do this yourself whenever needed directly in the 1&1 control panel?

Quote Originally Posted by centralusa View Post
    1. Full serial (sercon) access
    2. Full control to trigger a hard reset of your server directly from your control panel.

Both the above have saved me several times and as much as I fear and dread the day I need real support from them I am missing why you actually needed someone on the dc to power cycle your server when you can do this yourself whenever needed directly in the 1&1 control panel?
    Fair question. I tried. Serial console was garbled and hard reset from the 1&1 control panel didn't work. I wish I could tell you why, but I never got an explanation, only a vague email 3 days later that my server was restored.

I have had a couple 1and1 dedicated unix boxes in the past. Cant say i had any complaints besides what has been posted about slow tech support.

But also the answer has been posted here aswell, 1and1 arent great for guys who cant solve their own problems. If you need to contact your provider everytime your server isnt acting how you want need not apply.

Always remember you have "root" access for a reason
    Use it!

On another note like another guy said some of their servers have a modified kernel making some actions such as hosting game servers and some other programs a headache. But if you know what your doing you will have no problems with 1and1.
    Sweetgameservers LLC.

www.sweetgameservers.com

I think you summed things up perfectly here. As you said with 1and1 you are essentially on your own so if you do not have 100% confidence in your ability to manage a server correctly stay far away. The problem noted here was obviously an OS misconfig that rendered the server unable to boot, should 1and1 be available to help troubleshoot this stuff faster? absolutely but you may also want to check your bill each month as for what they are supplying network/hardware/backup ftp/raid/control panel access apples to apples is unmatched anywhere at double the price.

With 1and1 you have the full capability to re-image your entire server to a fresh install, serial port access and full hardware reset.

So lets assume 2 worst case scenarios.

1. You fry your OS. You should be down at most 2 - 3 hours (time it takes to re-image the server) plus time it takes to restore your latest backup (from supplied free ftp backup array)

2. You have a complete hardware meltdown and cannot get any reasonable help from 1and1 support due to incompetence, or whatever other infuriating reason they inject into the situation. Well you have an option here also and I think of it as premium support. It will cost you roughly $200 if you have a level 1 server - sign up for a new account pay $99 setup fee and you are up and running with a fresh server within usually a few hours that you can restore your latest backup directly to and move on (after cancellation your current failed server).

This is rational I use and am OK with considering the price point 1and1 offers. In an ideal world I'd kill for first rate data center based direct support but hey at $99 / month for a first rate server with all the specs 1and1 offers connected to their powerhouse network this is not realistic. This does not mean I as a customer don't beg and complain to them for it but from a business perspective I see where they are coming from. Try calling Godaddy and talking with their support and see if its any more enjoyable experience! With 1and1 you have a textbook case of "You get exactly what you pay for!"