Several questions from different areas

Just like the title says, I have some questions about a few things:

Just to set the stage (per se), I'm finally starting a website for my computer repair business. I have 2 domains purchased already, so all I need are some hosting answers. I plan to use my .net domain for hosting (reselling) and other "internetty" things (touting our website design services, etc.) and my .com for my service/repair info. I did some research, though I think it made me more confused rather than more enlightened. Anyway, in no particular order, my questions are:

I'm not forseeing how I would necessarily need much resource-wise. However, I'm also hoping to offer webhosting (as a reseller) to my clients if they need something small (the accounts would likely be no larger than 1GB/25GB, which seems to be sufficient). Would I be best ordering a Reseller Account or a VPS? That leads into question 2 - what advantages would a VPS have? I can't honestly answer how many sub-accounts I'd have, as it depends on my clients' needs - I would start with hosting 4 accounts [both of my computer website domains - the reseller account and service account, as well as two of my hobby websites], with the possibility of having 2 or 3 more added as quickly as the next few months as a "true" reseller, not counting any subsequent transfers. Thus I'd like something easily expandable. Would there be an advantage of either Windows or Linux hosting?

Next, for payment, I'm planning to use PayPal's Website Payments Standard. If I'm understanding correctly, I would not need a separate SSL (and subsequently, dedicated IP address) for that since PayPal processes everything? Would SSL be used for anything other than receiving payments?

That's all I can think of now; though I'm certain I had a few more questions. Maybe I got those answered already... Anyway, thanks for straightening out a few things for me!
    Last edited by a_loser; 01-11-2008 at 04:13 PM.
    -Kevin
    KG Customs - meeting all of your computer-related needs

Trains N Planes - my hobby-related forum

It's probably a good idea to start off as a reseller. If you're doing computer repair, you no doubt have technical skills, but it'll be easier for you if you don't have to learn everything at once. That's where a good reseller will help you.

As for platform, unless you have a particular reason to do Windows, Linux is much more common.

IF you need SSL certificate and if your future clients also may want to use it, go for a reseller that will be able to allow you to buy more IP-addresses since each SSL. (Also, I recommend you to start with a shared reseller account instead of VPS - maybe go for a reseller with the option to upgrade to vps to make the transition less painful)
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by a_loser View Post
    Just like the title says, I have some questions about a few things:

Just to set the stage (per se), I'm finally starting a website for my computer repair business. I have 2 domains purchased already, so all I need are some hosting answers. I plan to use my .net domain for hosting (reselling) and other "internetty" things (touting our website design services, etc.) and my .com for my service/repair info. I did some research, though I think it made me more confused rather than more enlightened. Anyway, in no particular order, my questions are:

I'm not forseeing how I would necessarily need much resource-wise. However, I'm also hoping to offer webhosting (as a reseller) to my clients if they need something small (the accounts would likely be no larger than 1GB/25GB, which seems to be sufficient). Would I be best ordering a Reseller Account or a VPS? That leads into question 2 - what advantages would a VPS have? I can't honestly answer how many sub-accounts I'd have, as it depends on my clients' needs - I would start with hosting 4 accounts [both of my computer website domains - the reseller account and service account, as well as two of my hobby websites], with the possibility of having 2 or 3 more added as quickly as the next few months as a "true" reseller, not counting any subsequent transfers. Thus I'd like something easily expandable. Would there be an advantage of either Windows or Linux hosting?

Next, for payment, I'm planning to use PayPal's Website Payments Standard. If I'm understanding correctly, I would not need a separate SSL (and subsequently, dedicated IP address) for that since PayPal processes everything? Would SSL be used for anything other than receiving payments?

That's all I can think of now; though I'm certain I had a few more questions. Maybe I got those answered already... Anyway, thanks for straightening out a few things for me!
    I think a reseller account would be a good place to start, VPSs offer more freedom, but server administration skills are needed. I would recommend linux over windows, based on performance and security.

I also think that you should purchase an SSL for your site(s) from the start, rapid issue certs are available for as little as $9 - $10 a year, and the required IP will set you back only a $1 - $2 a month. Internet buyers like to see the "lock" in their browser when making an online purchase.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Thanks for the prompt replies

Next question; I've been doing my research and found Jodohost to be highly respected here. The feature I like about their packages the most is the combined Windows/Linux reselling (I have a few potential clients who would use Windows for various reasons). I'm curious as to whether they are the only respected company that offers this dual hosting in the same package? Thanks again!
    -Kevin

If memory serves, cartikahosting also offers both. I've not had any direct experience with them, but they seem very reputable.

I'm curious as to whether they are the only respected company that offers this dual hosting in the same package?
    A number of HSphere providers will. You can start your search over at http://www.psoft.net/resellers.php.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hosting Team View Post
    If memory serves, cartikahosting also offers both. I've not had any direct experience with them, but they seem very reputable.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    A number of HSphere providers will. You can start your search over at http://www.psoft.net/resellers.php.
    Great; thanks for the link I will definitely report back when I decide.
    -Kevin

Thanks again for all the responses. I've decided on JodoHost due to their pricing structure. I checked out many hosts in the past several days, and Cartika came in a very close second. In all honesty, the only thing that prevented me from choosing them was the exchange rate (this crazy economy we're in right now).

Jodo's monthly price was competitive with most other hosts I checked on; however, the clincher was the "addon costs" (overage amounts for utilizing extra resources) - theirs were much more reasonable.

As to presales support, I asked a few questions that were clearly and thoroughly covered in the documentation, yet was greeted with a concise and equally informative answer, not something derogatory such as "go read the manual" or other similar response.

One downside I found was the lack of "long-term" discounting, e.g. purchasing 1 or 2 years of service at a lower monthly rate. However, as mentioned previously, the "addon pricing" makes up for that to a certain extent. One reason I am slightly concerned (as are many others I'm sure) is that, as a reseller, it's nice to have some degree of certainty of not needing to move your accounts to a new host. However, as many sites pointed out, this lack of "contract pricing" means that you're not locked in for a long term if something is unsatisfactory, as well as feeling as though the host is earning your business.

All in all, based on my searching both here and over the internet, I'm confident to say that this is the right choice. I will post a review once I get more thoroughly acquainted with the service.
    -Kevin

Thanks again for all the responses. I've decided on JodoHost due to their pricing structure. I checked out many hosts in the past several days, and Cartika came in a very close second. In all honesty, the only thing that prevented me from choosing them was the exchange rate (this crazy economy we're in right now).
    Hello and thanks for your consideration. I think you will be happy with JodoHost and wish you all the best with them.

Regarding your comment on exchange rates, can you please clarrify. Are you talking about Currency Exchange or MS Exchange services?

If it is currency exchange (which is what I "think" you are referencing) - I believe Jodohost uses the same currency we do (USD).

Eitherway, congratulations on finding a provider and thanks again for your consideration.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting View Post
    Regarding your comment on exchange rates, can you please clarrify. Are you talking about Currency Exchange or MS Exchange services?

If it is currency exchange (which is what I "think" you are referencing) - I believe Jodohost uses the same currency we do (USD).
    Yes, currency exchange.

Evidently my research wasn't as thorough as I had thought. One of the review sites I found on the internet (which I'm unable to locate presently ) indicated that prices are in CDN. Well, now I know - and if things end up not working out with Jodo, you're still my first choice as a replacement host.
    -Kevin

Yes, currency exchange.

Evidently my research wasn't as thorough as I had thought. One of the review sites I found on the internet (which I'm unable to locate presently ) indicated that prices are in CDN. Well, now I know - and if things end up not working out with Jodo, you're still my first choice as a replacement host.
    Hello Kevin,

this isnt your fault

We used to process in Canadian Dollars until recently. As you so noted, the economy is a little strange right now - and when the CAD$ gained so heavily against the USD - we made the switch in currencies. Our site used to specify CAD$ and we removed that assuming people would know that USD is the default. I think we will need to take more care on this one and specify it on our site as USD (since so many places have us listed as CAD$).

Eitherway, thank you very much for your feedback - it is of great value to me. I think you will be happy with JodoHost and hopefully you will have no reason to consider a move.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems