Do you have real friends in WHT forum?

Why the question?

Well, since my start of adventure in WHT ( year 2003 ), I always saw thread of war.

When you try to explain things, someone will attack you. When you agree to something, someone will disagree to you. When you post good thing, someone will say bad things to you and so on...

I saw many pride and contention in the forum and some do not just care and say bad things to each other...

I wonder, what happen if you meet each other in real life. Are you still gonna be the same person in the forum or the worst?

Is this the way life in the internet? Or maybe because we do not see each other and you can say whatever you want? Or maybe this is the real us?

Where is the love?

How many friends do you have here in the forum?

Until now, these things still puzzled me :-(

Net

P.S.

This is not to point a finger to someone but rather a discussion to establish a better place :-)
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I think if somebody were to conduct a study on Internet behaviour compared to how those same people are when face to face, it would be very interesting.

People often come out of their shells a little more when they're on the Internet. I'm no exception. If I'm in the company of a bunch of strangers, I'll be much more vocal on the Internet than I would if it were face to face. (Although I'm just as vocal face to face when I'm around people I know).

Personally, I have plenty of 'real friends' on WHT. By 'real', I mean I've met them face to face. Whether it's through small get-togethers or HostingCon, I've put a face, voice and usually an alcohol consumption rate to many usernames.

In life in general people will disagree with you. On the Internet, it just so happens that people tend to be a little more vocal and strong in their words than they are face to face.

I would be very surprised if anybody could honestly say they act the same in Internet discussion as they do in face to face discussion.

Not too long ago there was a member on a forum I visit who was being quite strong in his words. Nothing against the rules, but came close to being against that invisible Internet etiquette. I asked him to tone down his language, and his response was "Huh? This is how I speak in Chicago all the time and nobody is bothered" (It wasn't Chicago, but I don't recall the city he said). That's all well and good, but a big real world city is a lot different to the Internet. How you express emotion and use language when face to face isn't going to get the same response when you do it over the Internet. As close as the worlds of the Internet and 'real life' are, in some ways they are totally different dimensions.
    Last edited by Jamie Harrop; 01-11-2008 at 08:22 AM.
    - Jamie Harrop

I agree Jamie. Thanks for the input.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

nicely put jamie....

i could proberly hold my hands up and say im different on the internet than I am in real life.

mainly because im better when having a convo in text format that I am when speaking. when im out and about i get nervious which holds me back from speaking how I truly feel about somthing. but when im in a discussion board I speak how I feel and express MO. if somone doesnt like it thats there hard luck we are all entitled to our opinions. however that being said I do still tend to hold back a little bit on the NET I wouldnt go out my way to make somone feel bad etc but its like jamie said it depends, the write you write things people might take it a completly different way.

interesting question

This is an interesting question that we can pursue endlessly.

Definitely people will be different while on the net since they can easily and safely (things have changed recently with clearcut and strongly enforced cyber laws) assume fake personality without being caught redhanded

Also , disagreeing with someone cannot be seen as being unfriendly. A disagreeing post means that the person has at least read through and is aware of the topic being discussed.

My final answer to the question "Do you have real friends in WHT forum? " -- Yes I have..

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    ...Where is the love?...
    I married someone I met on WHT!

As for the rest of it, I've met several members and moderators. And although I may not have an offline relationship with most (because they wouldn't know they were talking with me as they were talking with me *winks at Tina), I don't think I met anyone I 'couldn't' be friends with.

I don't share your view that it's all doom and gloom around here. Of course, if that's what you look for, it's what you'll find. But I see a lot of closeness and warm hearted folks around. There's a much smaller percentage of people like you described.

Have you considered that perhaps you see the forum different because of your position here? You follow Reports of problems. Of course you're gonna see a bit.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

do they have to be irl friends? I know a good number of people from wht on aim and such, and maybe 3 other members in reality.

I haven't seen anyone on WHT that deserves my friendship , yet. What can I say, it is very hard to find educated, special, sharing and rich friends.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

I think maybe internet forums are another place for some people to
    take out their frustration on people..or sometimes people are just
    in a bad mood and they just decide to vent at people on the forums.

But overall i must say i have only encountered one person on the
    WHT but everyone else seems to be kind hearted and none judgmental..
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    Are you serious

Quote Originally Posted by GrabAHost View Post
    Are you serious
    Maybe. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=644626
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

There are 178,956 WHT members as of this post, and I don't think I've met a single one of them in real life .

Any posts I make aren't any different than what I might say in person. I've never seen the point of pretending to be somebody else online. I understand that's a good way for some folks to meet Chris Hansen. ("Why don't you have a seat over there").

I do know there are several folks here I'd be happy to drink beer with sometime, but most of them live outside the United States.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

yeah ...I've visited WS's sites and she's great with the literary stuff...maybe too intelligent for me though cause I don't go for women who can beat me in arguments

one thought though...

does she have a spare sister who's into mad scottish haggis munching jocks who like to wear the tartan and play the pipes?

lol

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 01-11-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

And although I may not have an offline relationship with most (because they wouldn't know they were talking with me as they were talking with me *winks at Tina), I don't think I met anyone I 'couldn't' be friends with.
    Okay, its been years now. When are you going to let me off the hook on that?

I'm the same in person as I am online. I haven't always been though. I think as you get older, the confidence that most young people feel hiding behind a keyboard transfers into real life. As you become more comfortable with yourself and standing behind your opinions and also realizing that physical attributes are no longer important in the grand scheme of things, you stop worrying what other people are going to think about you.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

I am writing it down as a note in my brain :-)

Please note that the subject title is specifically for the WHT forum but the discussion and some contents are for all forums in the internet.

I think it is impossible to meet all of you in real life unless you visit us in the philippines :-)

I have a real friend from Manitoba, Canada though and he is very kind. I like Canadian :-)

Net
    Specially 4 You

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    yeah ...I've visited WS's sites and she's great with the literary stuff...maybe too intelligent for me though cause I don't go for women who can beat me in arguments

one thought though...

does she have a spare sister who's into mad scottish haggis munching jocks who like to wear the tartan and play the pipes?

lol

owm
    I think I just lol'd.

I'm the same guy in real life too.

Unhappy

Sadly bunny got no friends here at WHT, no one wants toeee be friends with Bunny , everyone does this to the bunny

It's a differrant type of friendship on WHT than in 'real life'

in the same way as 'school/college friends' and real(drinking) friends,
    or at my time of life business friends and 'old friends'

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    It's a differrant type of friendship on WHT than in 'real life'

in the same way as 'school/college friends' and real(drinking) friends,
    or at my time of life business friends and 'old friends'
    Omg one has friends in real life too , damn i always thought what i was missing now i know

I have meet several of the members in person and have talked with many by phone. There are many member I consider to be on a friendly basis having an online relation.

I think if I were geographically closer to some members an more personal friendship would be easier to have.

I would like to see a social networking channel from WHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie View Post

People often come out of their shells a little more when they're on the Internet.

I'm no exception. If I'm in the company of a bunch of strangers, I'll be much more vocal on the Internet than I would if it were face to face. (Although I'm just as vocal face to face when I'm around people I know).
    I think most people on here are stupid... so I act accordingly.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Its difficult to trust someone as a friend based on how he/she posts responses here. Coz in reality these guys could be just opposite or same. There is equal probability.
    I know a few of the users here in the real world too, of which some have the history of fraudulent behavior, and some are hardworking sincere ones. But if you read their posts here in WHT, you may not be able to judge the real person in him/her.

To build up a true sincere friendship, you need to know the person personally.. Else its just a casual acquaintance, or business relationship. Can we call those "friendship" ?
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge

There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels!