Hosting for mass e-mailing..?

Hi, I've had shared server space for over 4 years now. This has been with a number of hosts.

I use my space to host various Websites for music promotion & Online Stores that I sell T-shirts/Merchandise from.

My current web host is pretty good, excellent support, 4th Fastest in the UK and I have no real intention of Moving. And I only pay 5 a month...... However I've had no end of troubles when trying to send out mass e-mails.

I have a regular weekly newsletter that i'd like to send out to 6,000 weekly e-mails and a larger list that i'd like to hit once a month or on special occasions, this list is 77,000. These e-mails have all been collected legitimately from my various company's and I absolutely do not send spam.

I use List Messenger to send my mass e-mails, this program works very well and again has good support.

The current server I'm on just cannot handle sending these e-mail out, apparently my server limits e-mails to a maximum of 500 per hour, so anything over this bounces back to the server and crashes it....

I guess my question is: Could someone please advise me on my options of servers to host a mass mailing program on. I've been told that I might need a dedicated server, in this could anyone recommend such a server?

Thanks in advance
    Ross

I highly recommend using a mailing list service such as constant contact, uptilt, verticalresponse.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Thank you for the swift response Mark, I have looked into hosted mailing services, however they all seem quite expensive.

For example from the sites you mentioned:

Vertical response - Would charge me $654.50 am month!! for sending 1 e-mail to my 77,000 list.
    Constant Contact - Lists under 50,000 from what I read, also quite expensive.

If I was looking to host my List Messenger on my own server, what sort of spec should I be looking for?

The actual HTML e-mail would not exceed 500kb so going for lots of bandwidth probably isn't what I need...?

Any more advice greatly appreciated.
    Ross

4. The next best thing that I would suggest is leasing your own server and using a dedicated IP for the mail list. We setup a custom mail server for one of our clients, who operates a large list, and it works wonders for him.

Also, setting up SPF records for your broadcast domain is a good move. It helps to avoid major ISP blacklists.

You can’t be careful enough when operating your own mail list in these days of uber-anti-spam regulations.
    BP6.Network - Quality Hosting Services
    - Shared Packages, Reseller Packages, Dedicated Servers, Co-lo & More.
    - Specializing in Streaming Media and other large-capacity needs.
    - BP6.Net

Ross, have a look at Aweber; they are much less expensive than Constant Contact, etc.

The nice thing is that they have whitelisting + sender certifications that will take you considerable time, effort & money to achieve and maintain if you were to go the dedicated server route. This results in higher deliverability rates (especially with the big email providers like Yahoo, Hotmail etc.), which in turn makes the fees you pay to Aweber, etc. that much more worth it. The alternative is that your email would never be seen by a significant portion of your subscribers. More views = more $$, of course.

Aweber also has a lot of nice, helpful sending tools, as well as full stats.

Hope this helps!!

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Thanks BitHost. Aweber looks really good, nice price also. However they are quite strict on using the double opt-in. If I upload my list of e-mails, each one has to have an opt-in message sent to them and confirmed again, I fear that due to the nature of my business and the clients, I would lose many of my subscribers instantly.

I'm still on the hunt for a hosted mailing list provider, as cheap and reliable as Aweber, but without the double opt in.

Thanks
    Ross

If the emails aren't double-opt-in, they are spam. That standard is cut-and-dry.

Remember, any of your subscribers who do not re-up with your list, aren't live prospects anyway. The people who are truly live prospects and might buy your product, will happily renew. The only people who won't renew are the people who weren't going to buy anyway.

The net result is, the dead chaff ends up weeding itself out, and saves you a ton of money. No sense in wasting bandwidth on non-buyers. They aren't buying.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Bailey you are very true.

I have signed up with Aweber now and i'm starting to get all the settings ready and perfect ready to import my list and see actually how many people are still interested in receiving my e-mails.

Aweber is loaded with useful features, looks like a very trusted mailing system. I hope it works for me!

Thanks
    Rosco

Rosco,

Let us know how your experience with Aweber goes. I might have to add them to the list of companies that I refer people to. Thanks for the tip, bailey.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!