Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42

    Thumbs down Upscalehost. Not an upscale experience.

    I hope this is the right section for this post. If not, can you please move this post to the right section.

    I have to say that right now, upscalehost in it's present form is the worst company I have had to deal with, in a very long time. In it's previous form it was wonderful, but in it's current form, I feel it's a disservice.

    I first started hosting with Upscalehost about 2-3 years ago. When I first started with the company it was owned by Dominic, and he was great. The service was great, I never had one single complaint.

    For close to 2 years, I had no problems, and then one day, I came home and the sites were all offline, the server was down. It took me days, over a week, to try to figure out what had happened.

    I contacted Dan, and a few others who had been affliated with upscalehost. They all told me that DARYL was the person to contact, because he was the owner.

    When I contacted DARYL, this is with the sites down for over a week, it was to be advised by DARYL that Upscalehost.com had gone bankrupt. Ok. Fine.

    He offered to contact the Iweb.ca data center and get my server back online. As you know DARYL was the main front man for Hosteasi.com. (Technosys, Upscalehost.com)

    The service with Hosteasi, was horrible almost right from the start, the server was always offline, billing issues, etc. Needless to say it was a year of really bad service.

    Then one day the server was offline. I tried to contact the company Hosteasi.com. It would be over 10 long days before I tracked down DARYL who owned both hosteasi, upscalehost, and technosys. Oh I also tried to contact Iweb in that time, because that's where the servers were located. They advised that they could not get a hold of DARYL.

    As I would later find out, DARYL took a position with Iweb and they could easily have gotten in touch with him. Instead my sites were left offline for 10 days without need.

    Anyways, I got a hold of Sean the new front man for Upscalehost.com, and he advised me that he had bought the company from DARYL. After 10 days the server was back online, but there was still unacceptable downtime.

    I have not had the time or the energy to find a new host. I was really hoping that upscalehost would be like it was back in the good old days, but it's more like how hosteasi.com was.

    Yesterday I got home and the server was down. Apparently there is phishing going on on the server. I was surprised, because the account is question is one of my own, and I am not phishing.

    Since the hosting company has full access to my server, and the passwords for the server, I advised them to remove the phising link and put the server back online.

    I had just paid for this months hosting 2 days ago, and today I get an email, telling me that they put the server back online and in 10 hrs, that it was allegidly back online it used up 600M of bandwidth in 10 hrs.

    They are willing to put the server back online for a small fee of $360.00. I had already given them the go ahead to remove any phishing links before puttting the server back online.

    At this stage, based on everything that I have been through with this company. I am a little concerned this whole thing does not feel very legit. At the least the service has been bad, but this latest experience has me concerned.

    I am sure there are lot's of people who have had great expereiences with this company, or who would be willing to post and say that they have.

    I am however looking to find anyone else who has had similar issues with this company. At this stage, I have asked for a call back, and I am still waiting close to 24 hrs for a call back.

    I have tried to call, but I am consistantly getting their voice mail.

    The only email that I have gotten is the one advising me of the phishing, then the oh we turned your server back on, and here is a bill for $360.00.

    To which I advised them quite detailed what I thought of the bill.

    Any advise or feedback would be welcome. Also suggestions for hosts with reasonable prices and good uptime.

    I would also like to know in private if any of there other current customers have had a similar experience, because at this stage, I have serious concerns about how the phishing even occured on the server.

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    958
    You probably know this already but .... RUN! There should be no need for you to have to be as accomodating to the provider as you were. They need you, not the other way around.

    If you are looking to stay with a server in Canada, ServerTag is reputable. Miles @ PriorityColo comes highly recommended around here as well.

  3. #3
    yes servertag is the best in canada im pleased with them as it is and yes they bend over backwards too keep their word.

  4. #4
    Georgia,

    As mentioned in the trouble ticket we are willing to work with to get the phishing link removed. The reason your server was suspended in the first place was because you didn't respond to the abuse notice we sent you in a timely fashion and we had no option to unplug your server from our network since it was affecting our network and other customers. Sean also notified you after unplugging your machine that we apologize for doing so but had to do it for the security of our customers and our network and he mentioned we would be more than happy to help you resolve this issue and to contact us to get it sorted out.

    Instead of contacting us you went directly to PayPal and opened a dispute for payments sent to us which is when I updated the ticket and requested you kindly to cancel the dispute which you didn't agree to do so at which point I told you that we were not going to assist you in resolving the issue nor would we turn your server back online until the dispute was closed. We are still willing to work with you on this one and help you resolve it but until the PayPal dispute is canceled we won't be able to assist you further.

    Feel free to contact me [email protected] to discuss further.

  5. #5
    It appears you have some legitimate concerns cardsites, however, when a company changes hands like this one did, you had to expect there would be some issues and challenges, this is the nature of company mergers and acquisitions.

    It appears the new owners are willing to work with you to resolve your issues, which appears to be more than what the original owner was willing to do.

    In a business that is always changing there are always going to be hardware, software, connectivity, security and other issues. What you should consider is the level of support and the timeliness of their responses to assist you with such troubleshooting.
    I hope you are able to resolve these challenges.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42

    Thumbs down That's not the truth

    Quote Originally Posted by ebrocke View Post
    Georgia,

    As mentioned in the trouble ticket we are willing to work with to get the phishing link removed. The reason your server was suspended in the first place was because you didn't respond to the abuse notice we sent you in a timely fashion and we had no option to unplug your server from our network since it was affecting our network and other customers. Sean also notified you after unplugging your machine that we apologize for doing so but had to do it for the security of our customers and our network and he mentioned we would be more than happy to help you resolve this issue and to contact us to get it sorted out.

    Instead of contacting us you went directly to PayPal and opened a dispute for payments sent to us which is when I updated the ticket and requested you kindly to cancel the dispute which you didn't agree to do so at which point I told you that we were not going to assist you in resolving the issue nor would we turn your server back online until the dispute was closed. We are still willing to work with you on this one and help you resolve it but until the PayPal dispute is canceled we won't be able to assist you further.

    Feel free to contact me [email protected] to discuss further.
    This is what I received from your company. See below.


    {There was a mass attack on your server that almost brought down our whole network we had to shut down your server immediately.

    Please get back to us so we can start to working on resolving this issue.

    Kind regards, }


    That email is the first notice I had that anything was wrong. That came well after the server was shut down. So I don't think you are being honest when you say proper notice was given.


    After contacting them, and asking them to remove the phishing link, cause they have the password for the server, the next email that I got was this. (I don't know if the server really ever went back online, but this is what I have.)



    {Your server has used over 600 M of bandwidth in 10 hrs today, therefor we will have to charge you for the excessive usage for security and make the reimbursements at the end of the month once the accounts are balanced. I have attached the graph for your reference below. 600 M x $0.06 = $360 . We will need this deposit for security Georgia before unsuspending the server to allow you to make any changes. Please do let us know if we may be of any assistance.

    Kind regards.}


    After that the next email I got was the invoice.


    {This is a notice that an invoice has been generated on 10/01/08

    Your payment menthod is: Cheque/ Money Order

    Invoice #1154
    Amount Due: $360.00 CAD
    Due Date 10/01/2008}



    The emails are what I received after I logged in. I have left countless voicemail messages, cause no one answers the phone there.

    I have had a ticket response, but that's it. The only thing they want is the paypal dispute that I opened closed. I know from other situations that I have seen, you don't close a paypal dispute until a resoltion is reached.

    At this stage, I don't see how they are trying to work it out with me.

    It's been nothing but problems and this was just the last straw. If they are not willing to put the server back online then that's fine. It's been just such bad service, and I am not surprised.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42

    Right now I am just tired.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-AEC View Post
    You probably know this already but .... RUN! There should be no need for you to have to be as accomodating to the provider as you were. They need you, not the other way around.

    If you are looking to stay with a server in Canada, ServerTag is reputable. Miles @ PriorityColo comes highly recommended around here as well.

    The last over a year has been nothing but problems. The server spent more time offline than online, under hosteasi, and the new version of upscalehost. Ticket after ticket. At least with hosteasi, they had the reboot link, with upscale there is not even a reboot link, and so it's just been opening tickets, to get the server back online, and now this.

    I was really hoping that this new version of upscale, would be the way things were with Dominic, but it's just the same as it was with hosteasi.

    You shouldn't have to come online and anxiously stress about whither the server is online or not, every time. But that's what I was doing, every time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42

    Thumbs down I really would like to work this out, but I am so tired of the horrible service.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sago-Sean View Post
    It appears you have some legitimate concerns cardsites, however, when a company changes hands like this one did, you had to expect there would be some issues and challenges, this is the nature of company mergers and acquisitions.

    It appears the new owners are willing to work with you to resolve your issues, which appears to be more than what the original owner was willing to do.

    In a business that is always changing there are always going to be hardware, software, connectivity, security and other issues. What you should consider is the level of support and the timeliness of their responses to assist you with such troubleshooting.
    I hope you are able to resolve these challenges.
    I think I have just reached my last straw. It's all the back accumulative experiences over the last over a year and some months.

    Since it's primarily the same people running the company, with the exception that Sean is the new frontman and not DARYL, I don't see this getting easily fixed. I would it to, but I am really just tired.

    If I had actually been given any kind of warning, that would have been great, I was not. As per there email, they immediatly took the server offline. (I don't even blame them for this.) If there really was phishing going on, then fine.

    What is getting to me, is that I told them, please remove the phishing link, and please get my server online. Because it's like the billionth time that it's been offline.

    I am sure if you are a legit company that shut down a server for phishing, then why would you put it back online, before the phishing link had been removed. As per there own best judgement, and my instructions?

    Then suddenly out of nowhere, try to slap me with a $360.00 bill?

    The whole thing just really feel irregular, and I just have a lot questions.

    Anyways. I think sometimes things don't work out, I had ample warning that something along this line would happen. I not surprised. I blame myself for not getting out sooner, and I just don't want to get sucked down into this any longer, it's just been so bad.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42

    Update

    I contacted the company and advised them of what I wanted which was to have the server back online, with the phishing link removed. I have recieved no response.

    However they have contacted Paypal. This is their paypal response.

    {Transaction Date: Jan. 7, 2008

    From PayPal: PayPal on 1/10/2008 19:20 PST
    Seller escalated this dispute to a Claim.
    From Seller: UPSCALEHOST.COM on 1/10/2008 19:20 PST
    Customer has been with us for over a year now and we have gone above and beyond to assist the customer with managing the server even though it was an unmanaged server. In the past 24 hours the customer has brought down our entire network due to hosting ILLEGAL and PHISHING PayPal pages }


    I did some investigation about the phishing. This is what I was told.

    Upscale was first contacted about the phishing on January 04, 2008. The server was shut down on January 09 2008. 5 days after they were advised about phishing. There is no record of the server ever going back online after January 09, 2008.

    The phishing link in question was not for paypal, but for some company called Abbey National Bank.

    Phishing can happen via hacking, but usually most companies when contacted about phishing do shut it down immediately, they don't generally wait 5 days.

    I called and spoke to the people who made upscale aware of the phishing, cause I wanted more info.


    Lastly, there was no above an beyond managing the server that I am aware of. It would go offline, I would reboot, till the new company took over a few months ago, and there was no longer a reboot link.

    I again don't feel that this phishing made sense to begin with, and if the company was contacted on the 04th of January, why did it take 5 days for the server to be taken offline?

    I just wanted to share the findings of my investigation. Thought it might be of interest.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,354
    I don't understand why you're still being so persistent about getting your server back online. They did mention they would be more helpful if you would cancel the dispute. Try that
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42
    Are you the same Stag-Dan (Dan Lew) that was affiliated with upscalehost all those years ago, back when Dominic ran the company? I know several members then branched off to do other things. I am trying to remember if you were one of the people that I contacted the first time when this happened to get to DARYL.

    As far as the rest. They are asking for $360.00 and charging me for a month of services that I did not get.

    As per the investigation I just did. They were contacted on the 04th of January. I paid on the 7th and they shut down the server on the 9th. Also unlike what they have said, the person I spoke to advised that the server did not go back online.

    Now they are telling paypal something that is not true.

    What I am going to try is not letting people lie to me, defraud me, and get away with it.

    The world is full of people who lie, and do corrupt things. (I know this is only webhosting, however I do not appriciate the fabrications.)

    Anyways Dan, when you were affiliated with upscalehost under Dominic, because I do believe you were that Dan, it was a good company.

    What happened with this situation is not good, and I was simply updating about the mini investigation that I did, and posting the results for any other interested parti's.

    I bit you good day Dan.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    958
    OP, did you end up going with another host?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,354
    Yes, that was me.

    It seems that you do not want to pay that fee you were charged so either move on or cancel the dispute then get back to them. I think it's the dispute that's delaying everything. Anyhow, good luck with everything!
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

  14. #14
    which host you have now

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,574
    Quote Originally Posted by cardsites View Post
    From PayPal: PayPal on 1/10/2008 19:20 PST
    Seller escalated this dispute to a Claim.
    From Seller: UPSCALEHOST.COM on 1/10/2008 19:20 PST
    Customer has been with us for over a year now and we have gone above and beyond to assist the customer with managing the server even though it was an unmanaged server. In the past 24 hours the customer has brought down our entire network due to hosting ILLEGAL and PHISHING PayPal pages }
    It seems the Upscalehost interest to close the Paypal dispute ASAP is because they supposedly used Paypal name trying to get a favorable decision.

    The first thing someone may think is: why a long time customer would host phishing? And why a scammer would complain with Paypal? Just Paypal, the "victim"? But case is more serious because Upscalehost said the customer was hosting phishing Paypal pages and it is not true according to the OP.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 01-20-2008 at 12:15 AM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42
    To answer your questions and close the thread.

    Yes I did find a new host. It's only been a few days, but so far the sites have been online, and I have had no problems. Again it's only been a few days, but I am hopeful that this will be a better situation.

    The Paypal dispute was decided in my favor, and so that is also closed.

    I am glad that this is resolved, but I wish the situation had never occured. As it is, I knew that things were not good, and I failed to get out and find a host in a suitable time frame, however lesson learnt, and I hope it's one I can take with me moving forward.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by cardsites View Post

    {Your server has used over 600 M of bandwidth in 10 hrs today, therefor we will have to charge you for the excessive usage for security and make the reimbursements at the end of the month once the accounts are balanced. I have attached the graph for your reference below. 600 M x $0.06 = $360 . We will need this deposit for security Georgia before unsuspending the server to allow you to make any changes. Please do let us know if we may be of any assistance.
    Wait, what? 600M/sec incoming/outgoing, or 600 megs over the 10 hours total (because that's how it sounds with how they worded it)? Or, 600 megs each hour, for 10 hours (how is that a lot, if so)? It's not making sense the way they worded it. Besides, 600 M x $0.06 = $36, not $360. So, it continues to not make sense. Also, their TOS says "UPSCALEHOST.COM will monitor the Customer's bandwidth usage and shall have the right to take corrective action if the Customer's bandwidth usage exceeds the Agreed Usage. Such corrective action may include the assessment of additional charges based on CA $0.60/GB" So, I assume they meant to say 600M/sec or min for 10 hours, and they just worded it terribly.

  18. #18
    I have similar bad experience as yours.

    They dont release my servers until I pay off the overusage. ($2100)

    I will share my bad experience when this get done. I am busy to recover datas for my clients now.

    We will put them on court. If you like do to this with me together, please send me PM.

  19. #19
    $2100?!

    yucks!
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,158
    Quote Originally Posted by tagari View Post
    I have similar bad experience as yours.

    They dont release my servers until I pay off the overusage. ($2100)

    I will share my bad experience when this get done. I am busy to recover datas for my clients now.

    We will put them on court. If you like do to this with me together, please send me PM.
    Do you guys not keep track of your bandwidth usage? if your using alot of bandwidth why not go the unmetered route?

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by northstormnet View Post
    Do you guys not keep track of your bandwidth usage? if your using alot of bandwidth why not go the unmetered route?
    No. this is a long story.
    short story is:
    on contract, it is 3MBPS. I have no idea why they dont lock the speed at 3MPBS. Then now they sent me bill as 45MPBS at 95th pertile usage.

    And the reason is they did not put my switch on rack on first day we moved in. They might not use the switch we bought from them, I dont know. Otherwise they should configure it limited under 3MPBS.

    We have 3 servers connected to one switch. so traffic is only on uplink port. But they dont provide graph of uplink port eigther.

    I have no idea about this.

    Only one thing: give money, take back servers. go to court claim a big money. nothing else I can do.
    Last edited by tagari; 07-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    95th percentile is a scam in itself! lol

    And to charge you that for such a short period when they pulled the box anyway seems ridicilious!
    Damien

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    958
    Did your agreement state that the 3Mbit provided was burstable or fixed?

    I can't believe that they are charging by the 95th but won't provide a graph. The data is there, they gathered it somehow. I would demand the graph or data they used to calculate your usage, so you can get a second opinion.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-AEC View Post
    Did your agreement state that the 3Mbit provided was burstable or fixed?

    I can't believe that they are charging by the 95th but won't provide a graph. The data is there, they gathered it somehow. I would demand the graph or data they used to calculate your usage, so you can get a second opinion.
    I agree a 100% with Adam-AEC

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-AEC View Post
    Did your agreement state that the 3Mbit provided was burstable or fixed?

    I can't believe that they are charging by the 95th but won't provide a graph. The data is there, they gathered it somehow. I would demand the graph or data they used to calculate your usage, so you can get a second opinion.
    The agreement is very simple. It is just one page state :3MPBS and other related cost. It doesnt state it is burstable of fixed.

    I demand this. They insist that they are correct. But they can not provide graph on uplink port.
    one guy from them answered me in person:" Did we say that we gave you one uplink port?". It is funny answer. They told me at first day I moved in that they gave me one uplink port. And asked me to buy a CISCO switch from them. I paid $200 for that switch. But they don't use it. Isn't funny?
    Also, I know what I did at that period. I just copy some files from server 1 to server 2. They are in same sub network, so the speed is very fast reaches to 45MPBS. On graph, server 1 and server 2 is same shape.

    Two servers are within same sub network. Traffic would not go out of uplink port. But as I said above, they might not use the switch I bought from them. They might connect my servers to their switch. Thats why they can not provide me the graph of uplink port of my switch.

    And they told me the reason is that worm virus traffic came out from my server caused this happen in that period. It could be truth. If so , graph of server 1 and server 2 should not be same shape. But it is still their fault because they don't use my switch and configure it limited at 3MPBS speed.

    I am tired to communicate with them. Hope court gives me a good sentence.
    Last edited by tagari; 07-04-2008 at 01:47 PM.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42

    Sorry to hear about your experience

    I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through, haveing lived through the nightmare myself, I know it's not a fun experience.

    All I am going to say is when this happened to me, and I contacted the people at the monitoring center, they told me the first email had been sent days before these guys shut down the server, and I did not get a warning email. For some reason they made sure to leave it and have the bandwidth go over.

    Also as I stated, I could not proove it, but I always had the suspicion that something was just not right, with the way things went down. I bet if you did a search we would find a lot more upscale hosting customers that have had this little predicament thrust upon them.

    If you really want to take it further, you could put out ads here, on Craiglist and other places seeing if anyone else has had this experience, I suspect they have and it's a matter of tracking them down.

    First thing is first however, get back your site, get your back ups, use cached pages, wayback machine, whatever you have to do to get your sites back up, then deal with this.

    Keep me updated.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42
    Oh, not to jix it or anything, but the host I use now is amazing, I have not had one problem with them, knock on wood. I only wish that I had switched months earlier, when the problems had started, anyways, live and learn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •