Expert Opinion Request :)

Hello All,

I have gotten a dedicated server when BurstNet ran the Winter2007 sale and got the Virtuzzo VPS now I pay $50 a month for 10 license and it will be $99 for 30 license,

Now my question and any opinion is greatly appreciated, what is the difference between Virtuzzo and HyperVM?

I know they are both the same type of panels but which would you prefer to run a VPS server? & Why?

Thanks
    Tom

Virtuozzo is the complete Virtualisation software + interface. It's an out of box solution.

HyperVM is just an interface which doesn't do any virtualisation. You need to install OpenVZ for example and HyperVM will use OpenVZ to create virtual machines. Otherwise without HyperVM and just OpenVZ, you will be doing all the managing through command line..

Virtuozzo I believe is similar to OpenVZ, but OpenVZ is open source so it will differ. I think according to SWSoft, they do support the OpenVZ project.

Good luck with BurstNET, they are down as usual.

ping: burst.net

location result min. rrt avg. rrt max. rrt
    Cologne, Germany Packets lost (100%)
    Amsterdam, Netherlands Packets lost (100%)
    Munchen, Germany Packets lost (100%)
    Copenhagen, Denmark Packets lost (100%)
    Santa Clara, U.S.A. Packets lost (100%)
    Florida, U.S.A. Packets lost (100%)
    Vancouver, Canada Packets lost (100%)
    New York, U.S.A. Packets lost (100%)
    Amsterdam3, Netherlands Packets lost (100%)
    Austin2, U.S.A. Packets lost (100%)
    Amsterdam2, Netherlands Packets lost (100%)
    Austin, U.S.A. Packets lost (100%)
    Sydney, Australia Packets lost (100%)
    Hong Kong, China Packets lost (100%)
    Stockholm, Sweden Packets lost (100%)
    London, United Kingdom Packets lost (100%)
    Kraków, Poland Packets lost (100%)
    Paris, France Packets lost (100%)
    Cagliari, Italy Packets lost (100%)
    Madrid, Spain Packets lost (100%)
    Singapore, Singapore Packets lost (100%)
    Melbourne, Australia Packets lost (100%)
    Lille, France Packets lost (100%)
    Porto Alegre, Brazil Packets lost (100%)
    Shanghai, China Packets lost (100%)

Thanks Rameen :)

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    Virtuozzo is the complete Virtualisation software + interface. It's an out of box solution.

HyperVM is just an interface which doesn't do any virtualisation. You need to install OpenVZ for example and HyperVM will use OpenVZ to create virtual machines. Otherwise without HyperVM and just OpenVZ, you will be doing all the managing through command line..

Virtuozzo I believe is similar to OpenVZ, but OpenVZ is open source so it will differ. I think according to SWSoft, they do support the OpenVZ project.
    Thanks Rameen

So with HyperVM and OpenVZ will I have the same thing as I have with Virtuzzo or should I just stick with Virtuzzo? Maybe thats the question I should be asking

Thanks again
    Tom

Yes slip9 seems Burstnet is down again on my end too

Looks like their network hasn't changed much : (

Quote Originally Posted by imtom View Post
    Thanks Rameen

So with HyperVM and OpenVZ will I have the same thing as I have with Virtuzzo or should I just stick with Virtuzzo? Maybe thats the question I should be asking

Thanks again
    Tom
    I believe that is a personal choice. A lot of debate on whether or not OpenVZ is better than what SWSoft uses and some people are not too happy with the interface of HyperVM (not the prettiest)..

I only have experience with HyperVM, but may give Virtuozzo a shot soon. I can provide more feedback on Virtuozzo then

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    Virtuozzo is like RedHat (but without published source code), OpenVZ is like Fedora.

OpenVZ is the open-source version, and testbed for new technologies which will eventually make it into commercial Virtuozzo.

Virtuozzo also comes with Virtuozzo Power Panel (similar to VPS-level HyperVM), a neat CP for your customers to use. Virtuozzo Control Center (web-based) and Virtuozzo Management Console (client-based) are extra options which allow a server admin to manage his VPS's (similar to admin-level HyperVM).
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS :: Cloud Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock! UK, USA, Singapore server locations.

Also, SWsoft fund OpenVZ development.

Virtuozzo + VZCC, VZMC, HSPc or PEM is similar to OpenVZ and HyperVM.

i.e. there's a virtualisation technology (Virtuozzo OR OpenVZ), then a tool to manage it (VZCC, VZMC, HSPc, PEM, HyperVM).

Of course you can also manage Virtuozzo and OpenVZ via shell if that's your preference.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS :: Cloud Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock! UK, USA, Singapore server locations.