How do you know how many hits your site has, and where they come from?

I think it's crucial to know how many hits your site gets, and where they are coming from.

How do you get this info?

Is it a feature of cPanel, or do I have to buy specific software?

Thanks!

I like Google Analytics, it's free and pretty detailed.

awstats in cpanel
    GeekDub Hosting, Reseller, VPS and more! ●

There are many good programs for web statistics. Awstats is goo, Statcounter too... But I suggest you to use at least 2 different types of statistics, so you can compare results.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

You can use AWSTATS. It comes with cPanel and many people use it. You can also try Google Analytics.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

If you're not convinced already ... I also use AWStats and Google Analytics. I used to play with Webalizer too.

Quote Originally Posted by bobitza View Post
    If you're not convinced already ... I also use AWStats and Google Analytics. I used to play with Webalizer too.
    Well webalizer is pretty old now and doesn't give accurate stats.

Google analytics is pretty good, plus they are always improving it and you never have to update your installation.
    -- Adam

Depends on what you want, really.

If you want to absolutely guarantee you only track human visitors, use a JavaScript-based tracker. The best example I've found of one is Clicky. While Google Analytics is also JavaScript-based and hosted externally, I find its results aren't as suited for everyday webmaster consumption and instead are more ideal for marketing companies and whatnot. Clicky is simply more friendly, and I've tried a lot of stats packages before arriving at this conclusion. I rate it above W3Counter and Mint, which I've also used extensively.

It also has a lot of per-user detail and can even use your WordPress cookies to add names to IPs of your visitors, to the point where you can bring up a separate report of every single action a particular user took. Kind of spooky.

AWStats is useful in its own ways, however any stats software that doesn't use JavaScript is liable to pick up bots too and can very easily fill your logs with trash depending on how many you get. While some can block Google bots and such, many lesser known bots will come to your site eventually (especially as it gets more popular) and increasingly skew results.

SmarterStats by smartertools.com gives very detailed stats if you are on a Windows box. Best bet is to just use Google statistics, very detailed.
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

I'm only use awstats in cpanel,It's very strong!

Google Analytics #1
    Prorant.com - Web Hosting Directory & Honest Reviews
    Vanguard-Hosting.com - 24x7 Toll Free Support Cpanel Hosting

Has AWStats got anything to combat the possibility of robots polluting it as I mentioned above yet? If not, I'd never consider it for accurate tracking.

If not you may think you're getting a lot more visitors than you really are.

Google Analytics gets my vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    Depends on what you want, really.

If you want to absolutely guarantee you only track human visitors, use a JavaScript-based tracker. The best example I've found of one is Clicky. While Google Analytics is also JavaScript-based and hosted externally, I find its results aren't as suited for everyday webmaster consumption and instead are more ideal for marketing companies and whatnot. Clicky is simply more friendly, and I've tried a lot of stats packages before arriving at this conclusion. I rate it above W3Counter and Mint, which I've also used extensively.

It also has a lot of per-user detail and can even use your WordPress cookies to add names to IPs of your visitors, to the point where you can bring up a separate report of every single action a particular user took. Kind of spooky.

AWStats is useful in its own ways, however any stats software that doesn't use JavaScript is liable to pick up bots too and can very easily fill your logs with trash depending on how many you get. While some can block Google bots and such, many lesser known bots will come to your site eventually (especially as it gets more popular) and increasingly skew results.
    Thank you. This sounds like a very interesting app.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
    Google analytics is pretty good, plus they are always improving it and you never have to update your installation.
    This is an important part of it.

I will definitely check this out.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    Has AWStats got anything to combat the possibility of robots polluting it as I mentioned above yet? If not, I'd never consider it for accurate tracking.

If not you may think you're getting a lot more visitors than you really are.
    Very interesting comment.

Has anybody a comment on this?

Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post
    There are many good programs for web statistics. Awstats is goo, Statcounter too... But I suggest you to use at least 2 different types of statistics, so you can compare results.
    Great idea to combine those two free apps and double check.

To add: AWstats counts bots and spiders.

Awstats in Cpanel. There are others scripts you can install to count your website's hits. You can probably find a few different ones at hotscripts. The only problem with those is that they never seem to match awstat's stats... I'm not the one to ask why but surely someone can answer that one for me.

Try reading the thread.

As I've said numerous times now, AWStats includes robots and such in your logs, while scripts such as Google Analytics and Clicky don't. Your AWStats have more people because it's counting visitors who aren't actually people.

I also find awstats to be very inaccurate.

I recommend mint

If you are looking for free, then Google analytics. I have been using it since it was in beta, lol, everything Google has is still in beta...

If you need real analytics, then look at Omniture. Even Google uses Omniture's analytics. Their tools are not cheap, but almost all of the Fortune 500's use them and for good reason.

That makes since. Thats wonderful to know and sorry I must have missed your first post Ryan Williams, but thank you for rudely explaining it to me.

You can access various types of software in cPanel. AWstats and Webalizer are some of the few I use.

Save some CPU cyles, shut down server stats and run with Google.

A combination of Google Analytics and Clicky would be ideal. The spy feature in Clicky is alone worth having it on your site. Both work on Javascript. The Clicky option will add less than 4 KB to your page download size whereas Google Analytics adds close to 20 KB. Something to consider when your are trying to keep your total size down to the ideal 30KB.

DO NOT rely on something javascript or hosted alone. Use something that analyzes your server logs for all of your traffic (like awstats) and something that analyzes just your web traffic (Google). I use both and they both tell a different story.

I use Google Adwords on all our sites, and www.newbridgestats.com on some of them
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more