Who To Contact If Your Server Gets Hacked "The Law Side"

Hi,

I was wondering who you would need to contact if someone hacked your server and crashed it? Like not the hosting provider, but the law enforcement's side, who would you need to contact to take the matter to a "law" legal?

Nobody cares really. I had the same question in the past. Unless you are willing to pay big bucks to investigate the and prosecute the hacker there is not a real proof that he did it. I mean physical proof that links him to your server. Im sure there is a digital crime division in the FBI, you could try it. If you are not american you are screwed, just like the rest of the world.

I am sure some of the European places have people investigated cyber crime. The only people maybe not having the ability to do this would be a third world country.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    If you are not american you are screwed, just like the rest of the world.
    Oh rest of the world is screwed .

Well first collect all data and proof that some hacker did it. Thank i suppose go to police headquarters ask them what to do about it and if they can help or not.

Yes sorry forgot about Europe. If you are in Europe then i guess you will have even more luck then in the states. They take this things more serious unless your server is in the states then you have no other choice.

Yes sorry forgot about Europe. If you are in Europe then i guess you will have even more luck then in the states. They take this things more serious unless your server is in the states then you have no other choice.
    Can the user hire a hitman to take care of it, would that be justified ?

Quote Originally Posted by jackjohn222 View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering who you would need to contact if someone hacked your server and crashed it? Like not the hosting provider, but the law enforcement's side, who would you need to contact to take the matter to a "law" legal?
    In general you'll probably find deaf ears, with this type of issue. Unless your server was hacked and then used in a serious phishing scheme or spamming operation. There are groups organized to help stop phishers and spammers, contacting such a group could help expedite the issue if this is the case.

However, if the phishing or spamming was serious enough the "law" would probably be looking for you.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Maybe jackjohn222 is a hacker and wants to know if he is safe when he gets into our servers. JAJAJA.

Funny you mention this, I just read an article in Linux Journal about this!

Because the server does not belong to you, but to your upstream provider, you can't do anything at all!

Maybe jackjohn222 is a hacker and wants to know if he is safe when he gets into our servers. JAJAJA.
    No I'm not the hacker, but this recently happened to my friend, and was looking to see what I could find on what he could do.

It seems if your in the web hosting business, and aren't a large organization, your just screwed if something like this happens.

No love for the little guys.

Do any of you guys know a good monitoring service by a outside company or some site that monitors your website 24/7 and look for any hacker type exploits ?

Quote Originally Posted by jackjohn222 View Post
    No I'm not the hacker, but this recently happened to my friend, and was looking to see what I could find on what he could do.

It seems if your in the web hosting business, and aren't a large organization, your just screwed if something like this happens.

No love for the little guys.

Do any of you guys know a good monitoring service by a outside company or some site that monitors your website 24/7 and look for any hacker type exploits ?
    There are many brute force protection tools, and root kits available. These type of tools typically will run on the server being protected.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Soskel34 View Post
    Funny you mention this, I just read an article in Linux Journal about this!

Because the server does not belong to you, but to your upstream provider, you can't do anything at all!
    He should still be able to report them though, if he wants. The FBI has a website you can use, ic3.gov

Nobody cares really. I had the same question in the past. Unless you are willing to pay big bucks to investigate the and prosecute the hacker there is not a real proof that he did it. I mean physical proof that links him to your server. Im sure there is a digital crime division in the FBI, you could try it. If you are not american you are screwed, just like the rest of the world.
    this pretty much
    semi-retired