Riverman Guest

Arrow Inicial Server Setup?

Hi,

I going to get a new dedicated server with godaddy, do I really need to go for the assisted server plan? this will double the cost of the server, is it really needed?

If I just open an account with plesk installed, is it just a case of uploading my files and installing my db and I am away or is it more complicated than that? what exactly does the initial server setup involve? and apart from keeping the server software at the latest versions, what else really will they do?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

what exactly does the initial server setup involve? and apart from keeping the server software at the latest versions, what else really will they do?
    You should really ask GoDaddy those questions - we don't know what they include in their management/setup plans.

I going to get a new dedicated server with godaddy, do I really need to go for the assisted server plan? this will double the cost of the server, is it really needed?
    The simple answer is yes. If you don't know how to manage your own server, you need to either hire someone to do it for you or pay for a management company. You're opening yourself wide open to hacks, etc. if your server isn't kept up to date.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by avythe View Post
    You should really ask GoDaddy those questions - we don't know what they include in their management/setup plans.
    I agree, you should ask GoDaddy because the management packages and set up procedures vary from provider to provider. A sample of services they could do are:
    * Software packages and upgrades as required
    * E-mail administration
    * DNS administration
    * Firewall tuning
    * SUDO access to server administration function
    * Server monitoring for any TCP/UDP port requested
    * APC reboot port

If you are not confident in being able to manage you server effectively, I would at least invest in some back up, but recommend you find some sort of management solution.

Hope this helped,
    David Infinger - Sago Networks -
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Load Balanced Clusters | 2 World Class Datacenters | Affordable Management
    (866) 366-3640 Extn. 3020
    AIM: SagoDavid | Yahoo: Sago_David | ICQ: 405357708

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    I'd say that you probably do require management, but as for the price, perhaps you should look at other vendors for a more reasonable plan.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

Riverman Guest
    I do have a backup solution and will not use the server for email, bearing this in mind, do you think that it is essential that I get management? In other words, will the server be wide open to hackers and other problems from day one, or will the server be quite secure but just not fully up to date if I just run with the standard godaddy configuaration?

Well....it's still a risk. Email isn't the only way a hacker can get you. If you aren't hosting anything too important and want to take the chance, then do it. Make it a learning process.

But with that said, I still recommend you get some sort of support.
    David Infinger - Sago Networks -
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Load Balanced Clusters | 2 World Class Datacenters | Affordable Management
    (866) 366-3640 Extn. 3020
    AIM: SagoDavid | Yahoo: Sago_David | ICQ: 405357708