Access internet on Roads/Buses

Hi
    Can someone help me out with two things
    I need a device not necessarily a phone which is same or a little more size than an iphone and I can use it to get internet access(in bus or in malls using Wi-Fi or anything) on it so that I can check my emails etc. I dont need a phone connection as I already have one. Dont want the 1 year/2 year contract too
    Can someone tell me what this device is called or where to get it?
    I think all smartphones comes with built in mobile phones?
    Thanks
    Primary email: advanced dot programmer at gmail dot com ..

When out traveling I use my IPAQ I've got a GPRS and WIFI jacket for it so getting internet access while out is not a problem its fairly small great for checking emails and browsing the internet!
    Noel
    For all your Colocation, RackSpace, Virtual Dedicated & Dedicated Server Needs. UK Data Centres True 24x7x365 Support 99.95% SLA!
    www.colo-uk.com

Thanks Noel
    Can you give me the link to what you think is a good IPAQ
    And whats the speed of the internet like? Right now I have 54 Mbps at home

The one I have is the old IPAQ 3850 I am sure you can get better ones these days as I have had this one for some years now but works a treat with the GPRS jacket.

Speed wise it wont be anything like your home connection.. GPRS speeds are as good as dailup speeds 56k, or you could get 3G this is about the same speed of ISDN or maybe a bit faster. For out and about browsing and email stuff it does just fine.
    Noel
    For all your Colocation, RackSpace, Virtual Dedicated & Dedicated Server Needs. UK Data Centres True 24x7x365 Support 99.95% SLA!
    www.colo-uk.com

I use a HTC S620 which in the UK can be provided by any mobile phone provider. Take a look at the htc.com they have loads of devices on there.

I have been using mine for about 6 months and have had no problems. It runs using windows mobile so connects to exchange server for your emails with no problems also.

How about iPod Touch?

Quote Originally Posted by superprogram View Post
    How about iPod Touch?
    iPod Touch only supports Wifi and does not support any add-on interfaces like a 3G type WAN interface. If you need that you may as well get an iPhone.

Now that you can unlock the iPhone I'm not sure how locked into the Cingular EDGE network you are, which is really not very fast. I've heard very good things about Verizon's 3G network. I saw someone use it with their Macbook in a Starbucks and it seemed quite fast to me. I have to use Cingular EDGE for my work Blackberry and it's quite slow.

iPhone doesnt support 3G (yet) so what you said above is completely out of the question interms of iPhone and 3G
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

How is 3G type WAN interface better than Wi-Fi?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superprogram View Post
    How is 3G type WAN interface better than Wi-Fi?
    Thanks
    A cellular data network works more places than Wifi obviously.

Even if Wifi was available in a lot more places you wouldn't have the same kind of mobility with it than you'd have with a cell data network.

My wife checks her email and browses the Web on her HTC PDA phone (Windows Mobile) and it works great. Since you were talking specifically about using the Internet while driving, this is why I mentioned it.

3G cards will give you decent speeds (between 300kbit and 3Mbit, usually around 1Mbit), and 3G networks are being rolled out in more and more places. I've personally used Sierra Wireless cards on GSM networks, they work pretty well. You could use this in combination with an ultraportable, something like an ASUS eee.

If you're looking for something smaller, look into smartphones (the smartphone line from HTC; Palm devices, newer Blackberries, etc); as long as they have a good keypad/keyboard (I'd recommend a full-QWERTY pad), a decent(touch)screen, and are 3G (EVDO/UMTS/HSDPA) capable, you're good to go. I've personally used the HTC TyTN (or AT&T 8525) and loved it; very easy to use, especially while driving.

I have a Verizon enV and using the USB data cable, I can connect to their network and get wireless internet (3G) on my laptop. However I don't use it much because the enV itself lets you browse the 'net, check email, etc w/o having to hook it up to a laptop.