Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

India's Tata unveils the Nano, world's cheapest car

India's Tata unveils the Nano, world's cheapest car

NEW DELHI, Jan 10 (Reuters) - India's Tata Motors Ltd unveiled the world's cheapest car on Thursday, bringing car ownership closer to millions of consumers in emerging markets.

The 4-seater Nano, with an engine around 625 cc, will have a dealer price of 100,000 rupees ($2,500), and will go on sale later this year. Taxes and profit margins will push up the price to drivers, but it will still cost about half the cheapest car on today's market, a 25-year old model from rival Maruti Suzuki

The compact but curvy Nano stands in sharp contrast to the luxury Jaguar and Land Rover brands that Tata is negotiating to acquire from Ford Motor Co

Tata unveils Rs-1 lakh People's Car 'Nano'

Small cars may become popular in places like India and China because lot of people there are poor ...and dont make love in cars.

wow! How can they give it so cheap?

it's a car with a scooter engine.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Quote Originally Posted by netsaint View Post
    read the article the engine size is 600 somthing cc. I can pee faster than that.

edit: I think somthing like this shold be implemented in the UK. it would give new drives a chance of owning a decent car desite its engine size. (im not a new driver, but others could benifit from this, not everyone in the UK is wealthy.)

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    ...and dont make love in cars.
    Not to worry, driving that probably won't increase the chances of that happening anyway.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Kinda looks like a Smart car mixed with a Yari no?
    lol i would hate to see that car in a collision though
    cant be too tough at all :/
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

Quote Originally Posted by netsaint View Post
    Tatas is one of the largest industrial groups in India so probably they will be sourcing lot of materials and components from their own group companies at lower cost. Secondly they have said the have adopted different technology and processes like recycled plastic components and adhesives to join components.

Safety is important

NCC provides merger & acquisition services to Web Hosting firms. 239-458-2468
    http://www.com-broker.com

Read my M&A Blog at the WHIR

Looks good, although as said 600CC is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by composure View Post
    Looks good, although as said 600CC is not good.
    under what circumstances ???
    come and drive in India 650cc is more than enough in City limit.
    Cheers,
    Sivanandhan, P. (a.k.a. apsivam)
    My Blog Site

Lol well i live in UK so I wouldnt know. XD

I bought a car cheaper than that at WalMart. $350
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0002708432205_215X215.jpg  

600CC snowmobile will do almost 100MPH if not faster.......I doubt this thing weighs anything...

Not bad.

I wish they would release something like this in the States at an *affordable* price. There is no point in companies like Mercedes selling the *Smart* car, they might as well name it environment-friendly-where-only-rich-people-can-afford-and-save-on-gas car. Hybrids are good, but if they want to make them popular, they cant jack up the prices just cause its a hybrid because what I save on gas would be spent on my monthly lease.

Yaris is good, but we need something a little more cheaper and big on fuel economy. We are getting there, very slowly.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Quote Originally Posted by composure View Post
    Lol well i live in UK so I wouldnt know. XD
    The first popular small car in India was actually the British Reliant Kitten (renamed as Dolphin in India) with a 850 cc engine and a fibreglass body. It was a nice car but the Indian maker scammed the buyers with local diesel engines after promising to deliver with imported diesel engine. They also reshaped the fibreglass body which looked terrible.

Tata plans to launch a Diesel version soon and car will be launched in Europe as well

Btw, Renault (France) soon is planning to build a 5000$ car in India to sell in US. Stay tuned!
    ||| HostEcon.com - Professional Off-Shore Hosting Provider
    ||| Shared || Reseller || Semi-Dedicated || Dedicated Services
    ||| We offer highly anonymous off-shore domain names

Tata group kept their promise. Like Ratan Tata said, A promise is a Promise. I really liked that statement of his. Truely a man of character.

The car costs Rs. 1 lac plus tax and other transportation cost. They claim that the car meets all safety requirements and standards. At the same time it also satisfies Euro norms to be environmental friendly
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Two decade in Web Hosting Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    read the article the engine size is 600 somthing cc. I can pee faster than that.

edit: I think somthing like this shold be implemented in the UK. it would give new drives a chance of owning a decent car desite its engine size. (im not a new driver, but others could benifit from this, not everyone in the UK is wealthy.)
    i don't think buying a new car is beneficial there are plenty of small second hand cars out there.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Quite a funny looking car...especially the bulge on the front.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/TataNano/1000456537

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/ima...6c5cbeef_o.jpg That's the man Ratan Tata with his dream car.

Yea, its cute.
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Two decade in Web Hosting Industry

It may meet safety standards in India but I doubt in Europe or the US. It has no airbags, the basic model has no passenger side mirror and only 1 wiper. With the deluxe version you get air conditioning but still no power steering. It's mainly plastic held together with industrial glue not welding. Down the road they may substitute for some steel panels.

Wow Imagine merging on the highway with that. I'd be scared to death cause if you get in an accident, you know even a Honda Civic is gonna split you in half.
    IntelliSerp - The most accurate and intelligent keyword rank tracking software.

It's 100% crumple zone.

It is not made for the West.....but yes you will see those launched in Europe, the only interesting part left is that how it does?
    ||| HostEcon.com - Professional Off-Shore Hosting Provider
    ||| Shared || Reseller || Semi-Dedicated || Dedicated Services
    ||| We offer highly anonymous off-shore domain names

Didnt think I would ever see something worse than the ford pinto... I think the smallest car on American roads these days is the cooper, which advertises 40mpg (41 with good tailwind)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast