Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

India's Tata unveils the Nano, world's cheapest car

India's Tata unveils the Nano, world's cheapest car

NEW DELHI, Jan 10 (Reuters) - India's Tata Motors Ltd unveiled the world's cheapest car on Thursday, bringing car ownership closer to millions of consumers in emerging markets.

The 4-seater Nano, with an engine around 625 cc, will have a dealer price of 100,000 rupees ($2,500), and will go on sale later this year. Taxes and profit margins will push up the price to drivers, but it will still cost about half the cheapest car on today's market, a 25-year old model from rival Maruti Suzuki

The compact but curvy Nano stands in sharp contrast to the luxury Jaguar and Land Rover brands that Tata is negotiating to acquire from Ford Motor Co

Tata unveils Rs-1 lakh People's Car 'Nano'

Small cars may become popular in places like India and China because lot of people there are poor ...and dont make love in cars.

wow! How can they give it so cheap?

it's a car with a scooter engine.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Quote Originally Posted by netsaint View Post
    read the article the engine size is 600 somthing cc. I can pee faster than that.

edit: I think somthing like this shold be implemented in the UK. it would give new drives a chance of owning a decent car desite its engine size. (im not a new driver, but others could benifit from this, not everyone in the UK is wealthy.)

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    ...and dont make love in cars.
    Not to worry, driving that probably won't increase the chances of that happening anyway.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Kinda looks like a Smart car mixed with a Yari no?
    lol i would hate to see that car in a collision though
    cant be too tough at all :/
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

Quote Originally Posted by netsaint View Post
    Tatas is one of the largest industrial groups in India so probably they will be sourcing lot of materials and components from their own group companies at lower cost. Secondly they have said the have adopted different technology and processes like recycled plastic components and adhesives to join components.

Safety is important

NCC provides merger & acquisition services to Web Hosting firms. 239-458-2468
    http://www.com-broker.com

Read my M&A Blog at the WHIR

Looks good, although as said 600CC is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by composure View Post
    Looks good, although as said 600CC is not good.
    under what circumstances ???
    come and drive in India 650cc is more than enough in City limit.
    Cheers,
    Sivanandhan, P. (a.k.a. apsivam)
    My Blog Site

Lol well i live in UK so I wouldnt know. XD

I bought a car cheaper than that at WalMart. $350
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0002708432205_215X215.jpg  

600CC snowmobile will do almost 100MPH if not faster.......I doubt this thing weighs anything...

Not bad.

I wish they would release something like this in the States at an *affordable* price. There is no point in companies like Mercedes selling the *Smart* car, they might as well name it environment-friendly-where-only-rich-people-can-afford-and-save-on-gas car. Hybrids are good, but if they want to make them popular, they cant jack up the prices just cause its a hybrid because what I save on gas would be spent on my monthly lease.

Yaris is good, but we need something a little more cheaper and big on fuel economy. We are getting there, very slowly.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Quote Originally Posted by composure View Post
    Lol well i live in UK so I wouldnt know. XD
    The first popular small car in India was actually the British Reliant Kitten (renamed as Dolphin in India) with a 850 cc engine and a fibreglass body. It was a nice car but the Indian maker scammed the buyers with local diesel engines after promising to deliver with imported diesel engine. They also reshaped the fibreglass body which looked terrible.

Tata plans to launch a Diesel version soon and car will be launched in Europe as well

Btw, Renault (France) soon is planning to build a 5000$ car in India to sell in US. Stay tuned!
    ||| HostEcon.com - Professional Off-Shore Hosting Provider
    ||| Shared || Reseller || Semi-Dedicated || Dedicated Services
    ||| We offer highly anonymous off-shore domain names

Tata group kept their promise. Like Ratan Tata said, A promise is a Promise. I really liked that statement of his. Truely a man of character.

The car costs Rs. 1 lac plus tax and other transportation cost. They claim that the car meets all safety requirements and standards. At the same time it also satisfies Euro norms to be environmental friendly
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    read the article the engine size is 600 somthing cc. I can pee faster than that.

edit: I think somthing like this shold be implemented in the UK. it would give new drives a chance of owning a decent car desite its engine size. (im not a new driver, but others could benifit from this, not everyone in the UK is wealthy.)
    i don't think buying a new car is beneficial there are plenty of small second hand cars out there.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Quite a funny looking car...especially the bulge on the front.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/TataNano/1000456537

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/ima...6c5cbeef_o.jpg That's the man Ratan Tata with his dream car.

Yea, its cute.
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

It may meet safety standards in India but I doubt in Europe or the US. It has no airbags, the basic model has no passenger side mirror and only 1 wiper. With the deluxe version you get air conditioning but still no power steering. It's mainly plastic held together with industrial glue not welding. Down the road they may substitute for some steel panels.

Wow Imagine merging on the highway with that. I'd be scared to death cause if you get in an accident, you know even a Honda Civic is gonna split you in half.
    IntelliSerp - The most accurate and intelligent keyword rank tracking software.

It's 100% crumple zone.

It is not made for the West.....but yes you will see those launched in Europe, the only interesting part left is that how it does?

Didnt think I would ever see something worse than the ford pinto... I think the smallest car on American roads these days is the cooper, which advertises 40mpg (41 with good tailwind)

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Not to worry, driving that probably won't increase the chances of that happening anyway.
    lol, a chick magnet it aint.

But good on 'em. Seems like the right sort of car for the Indians.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

This is not : Fisichella's drive for 2008 - -

Force India Formula One team have announced that Giancarlo Fisichella will drive for them in the 2008 season

more here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7177098.stm

Also,
    Did I hear a rumour Pagezone was getting a 'nano' for his glove box - -

A scooter is better. Lighter, smaller, more thrifty and more safe as it doesn't give the driver an illusion of safety that this plastic toy will give.

how cool....

a luxury car for dwarfs

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Well, it's really cute, and not that cheap!

Few Facts:

Size

At just over 10ft long, the Tata Nano is two feet shorter than a Mini. Its manufacturer says that clever use of ergonomics gives the Nano, which is almost 5ft wide, a roomy 20 per cent more interior space than the nearest competitor.

Power plant

A two-cylinder, 623 cc, multi-point fuel-injection petrol engine delivering 33hp. It is rear-mounted, leaving little or no space for luggage.

Performance

0-60mph in 21 seconds (manual Mini Clubman does 0-62 mph in 10.9 seconds). No official figure but industry analysts expect the Nano to have a top speed of 75mph.

Economy

Despite protests from environmentalists the Nano is not thirsty, travelling up to 50 miles per gallon. A diesel variant is in the works.

Safety

No airbags, but the Nano does come with seatbelts and has an all-metal body with crumple zones. Tata says it has passed India's head-on and side-on crash tests.

Today's Price

At 1,300 the Nano is more than 500 less than China's cheapest model but is still three times average per capita income in India. By contrast the cheapest US car - a Chevrolet Aveo - is just 25 per cent of US per capita income.

Historical Price

Less than 15 per cent the launch cost of a Model T Ford and less than 25 per cent of a VW Beetle.

Nano's Secrets

Tata has taken out more than 34 international patents on technologies used in the Nano, including the use of adhesives to cut welding costs.

Some More.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nano.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    It may meet safety standards in India but I doubt in Europe or the US. It has no airbags, the basic model has no passenger side mirror and only 1 wiper. With the deluxe version you get air conditioning but still no power steering. It's mainly plastic held together with industrial glue not welding. Down the road they may substitute for some steel panels.
    Yea, I don't think Indian traffic safety laws are quite the same as here or Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Nano's Secrets

• Tata has taken out more than 34 international patents on technologies used in the Nano, including the use of adhesives to cut welding costs.

lmfao...

so what we basically have is a 10ft airfix model that will break into many pieces if it's involved in a head on smash with a pram or will break apart in a strong wind.

also....0-60 in 21 secs....meaning that a commonwealth or olympic sprinter would beat it over 100 or 200 yards.

this thing will never be introduced onto British roads because it's just been glued together.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 01-11-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by serverminds View Post
    Yea, I don't think Indian traffic safety laws are quite the same as here or Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

The traffic laws are there, its just not strictly followed

Anyway, as i said it would be interesting to see how it does, too early to just write it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    how cool....

a luxury car for dwarfs

owm
    Nah....they are buying luxury brands for the cool dwarfs to drive

Its called Jaguar and Landrovers.......

It would be interesting to see how Tata can successfully manage the luxury brands (Jaguar and Landrover) and People's car (Nano).

Good effort by TATA, it would be ideal for India, since most everyone is riding a bicycle or a motorcycle, however I don't think they will ever be able to sell this model anywhere else without improving the safety features, this type of car is about 20 years late for world market.

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    ...and dont make love in cars.
    Ah come on. You know only people who have never done it would say that.

Quote Originally Posted by HE/LW-Sam View Post
    Tata has taken out more than 34 international patents on technologies used in the Nano, including the use of adhesives to cut welding costs.
    I thought Aeroplane wings had been glued on for decades !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast