Minimal Resource Needs But Reliable Service?

I've been researching hosting options all day and learning all sorts of vernacular that my head is spinning. I'm sorry for my stupid question.

I'm a local entertainer. On my business card, I want to have a webpage that has my contact information, a bio, a logo, and that's pretty much it. I can do the webpages myself and upload them myself. Updates will be rare (once a week, max?) after about the first month or so.

The index page that I want to use isn't going to break 50Kb, it consists of the html page and a single graphic, plus a Youtube video embedded in it. It's possible I might have up to 5 extra pages with similar resource needs as the index page (one for a detailed bio, one for a client list, etc.) -- it seems ludicrous to mention something that specific, I only brought it up because some of the big guys' budget web hosting specifies you can only have one page...? Maybe I misread the feature.

From the above it should be obvious that I don't need much space. I also don't expect a whole lot of hits, so some of the bandwidth that's being offered even in the basic packages looks like overkill. I honestly can't even imagine approaching a Gig per month. Now, what I don't need for bandwidth and hosting space, I would like for reliability and customer service. I would also love to just have one company handle the domain name registration as well.

Godaddy, Dreamhost and HostingPuppy all have great rates, but here's the thing. I would prefer not to get budget hosting reliability and customer service, nor do I want to pay the rates for high-volume hosting.

Any suggestions?

Well around the WHT offers sections. There are some small but reliable companies too !! Larger company does not mean reliability all the time, look for reviews etc.

I'd suggest axishost, $5.99 only for their smallest plan.

Hey whats your budget? What kind of control panel do you prefer? If you look around for smaller hosts they will probably get you a custom plan. Search around the offers section and make sure after you choose your host to do a little whois check, background check. Good Luck on finding the right host.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

erlandish,

There are many hosts which can provide you a reliable service, as suggested take a look in the offer section.

Your site could probably run on the smallest package they would offer, you may pay the same as with those large hosts you name, but have a reliable service, as you say it, it is an extension of your business card.

That said, for a simple html site those large hosts might be sufficient.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quick follow-up...

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate it.

I'll take a deeper look through the offers. I'm still trying to orient myself to WHT, sorry if I've posted this question too early.

I'm aiming for low-budget. I just want the trade-off to be on resource needs (which I don't really need) rather than on customer service and reliability (which I want). The prices that are offered over at GoDaddy and Dreamhost seem alright to me, but I don't know about the reliability, and I honestly can't justify getting the resources they're pitching at me.

No preference when it comes to the panel. CPanel seems fine, but I've managed a small website as part of a sourceforge project, so I'm pretty sure I can figure out whatever interface comes with it. Honestly this thing is going to be SO low maintenance administration-wise. Fix the webpages on the home computer once a week, upload them to server, done.
    Last edited by erlandish; 01-10-2008 at 03:58 AM. Reason: forgot to thank them

Godaddy I wouldn't recommend them for hosting. I had very bad experience with them in the past.
    DreamHost I see so many people use dreamhost for sites that really need 400-500 gigs of space and bandwidth. They provide that with no problem. So just search around im sure you will find the right host.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

I recommend crucialp.com they might not have those very big plans, but their technical support is the best I've seen in my 5 years of hosting experiences.

but I don't know about the reliability
    Customer forums on the web hosting prioviders' sites. Uptime monitoring web sites like hosttracker always helpful.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

From the above it should be obvious that I don't need much space. I also don't expect a whole lot of hits, so some of the bandwidth that's being offered even in the basic packages looks like overkill. I honestly can't even imagine approaching a Gig per month. Now, what I don't need for bandwidth and hosting space, I would like for reliability and customer service. I would also love to just have one company handle the domain name registration as well.
    Then do yourself a favor, and don't even consider those hosts offering tons of space and bandwidth or you'll pay it in reliability and uptime.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

ipower has a starter plan ... for 3.95 you get 5 GB of space and 250 GB of traffic.

Hi erlandish! I suggest you check out PrecisionEffect. They got a very decent and affordable service and the 2 tickets I've sent it where both resolved in minutes. I cannot give you a domain for verification because I just sold it
    hi there!

Cool

For the type hosting the OP needs it should be easy to find, but might be best to look off the beaten path. Some smaller hosts specialize in high reliability hosting with high performance, not for $3 a month, but you already said you don't need the huge resources, so a realistic plan on a good host who will be glad to eother display their uptime stats on their web site or send you a link should be no problem for what you describe.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

What you need is an internet solutions company, a provider of web hosting, domains, web design, and internet marketing, all in one.. You're in the business of entertaining, not of managing websites.. So look for a reliable company that would offer all the solutions you need for one affordable price..

Also, if you're looking to capture leads online for your business, you have to make sure you have an attractive website.. a website is just another marketing channel for your business.. If you're going to spend time and money, you might as well do it right the first time.. Good luck on your search!

Rationale,

At the moment I really just need the website to be an extension of my business card, which would be my primary marketing tool when I'm dealing with prospective customers. I don't really plan on making any sales online (at the moment), and I've got some background on creating webpages and stuff. A full internet solutions company would be overkill -- other magicians are paying several hundred dollars to get a website out that I could easily design for myself for free. Then again, I've got no real interest in flash or anything like that. If I'm going to spend money on that sort of thing, it would be specifically for a video marketing myself, but even for hosting it, Youtube is an acceptable means to that end.

To everybody else,

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I am onboard with the idea of going off the beaten path (as DDT suggested), but my problem is that when it comes to hosting, I don't even know which are the beaten paths.

At the moment, HostHawk is looking pretty good to me. I've been having trouble finding horror stories about them, the prices seem reasonable and it looks plausible to upgrade if my needs expand...

1&1 starts at 4 bucks/mo. I've been with them for over two years and had no troubles. I check my sites many, many times each day and never find them to be down, sites load fast, email always works... it's awesome hosting for the money.

Don't do domain registry and hosting with the same company, it never seems to work out. I recommend that you buy a domain at Namecheap.com and buy hosting at Medialayer.com

Stay away from the massive oversellers and companies like GoDaddy.

I only brought it up because some of the big guys' budget web hosting specifies you can only have one page...? Maybe I misread the feature.
    Some hosting packages allow only 1 domain to be hosted, and I think this might have caused you to worry. That domain (e.g. yourname.com) can have multiple pages/files though. I can't imagine that in this day and age there's any paid host out there that allows only one page to be hosted.

Quote Originally Posted by erlandish View Post
    I've been researching hosting options all day and learning all sorts of vernacular that my head is spinning. I'm sorry for my stupid question.
    Your question isn't stupid at all. You're focused on what you need for your site, which actually makes you a smart customer.

Quote Originally Posted by erlandish View Post
    I would prefer not to get budget hosting reliability and customer service, nor do I want to pay the rates for high-volume hosting.

Any suggestions?
    Not only do you know what you want, you're also not taken in by the lure of unlimited this-or-that, which you don't need. Good for you!

Yes, there are hosts out there who believe in good, old-fashioned customer service at a fair price. To some extent, every host has to be competitive on price. But you can find hosts who go beyond that. When you evaluate offers, see if the only thing being offered is a silly amount of resources at a silly price; what you want to see is what else the hosts have to say about themselves besides pricing. Look for things like service, reliability, uptime, responsiveness, etc.
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!

I should warn you that, for the majority of the "high volume" hosts, you actually aren't paying for the space/bandwidth resources.

I recommend A Small Orange's Tiny package which is $25 for a whole year for 75MB of space and 3GB of monthly data transfer. There's a $5 off coupon around so it's only $20 for a year.

erlandish, have you seen this thread? There's a list of hosts which have a positive track record here at WHT ... which is a reflection of quality, reliability, etc. You won't find the budget hosts there ... they are only hosts recommended by their clients which do not have major negative reviews. Even so, many of the hosts listed have reasonable pricing. It's just a matter of finding the right fit for your needs.

Hope this helps.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

OP - I highly advise you take a look at precision effect. They are, hands down the best host I have ever worked with. Fast machines, rock solid uptime and the best support I've ever received.

You'll notice they are slightly more expensive than other hosts, but for what you need (spec wise), you are going to have a difficult time finding a better host.

Dave