Thread: Is this legal?

Is this legal?

Hello, I've been looking around to see which forum would be best suited for this topic and I couldn't place it anywhere so I'm posting it here instead. In case this is the wrong forum, please move it to the right one and I apologise for the inconvenience.

I've been trying to look around for an answer to this new thing I want to do on one of my new websites but I don't know if it's legal or not. I've heard that a 30 second recording of any song is not considered illegal, for instance like a 30 second sample of a song placed on a website, and not the entire song. Is that true?

I wanted someone who might know about this to tell me if it's legal to put 30 second mp3 clips, or whatever the duration limit is, of a song as a free downloadable ringtone? Would that get me into trouble?

If anyone has any information on this, please share with me.

If you don't have permission to use a song, it doesn't matter how long it is, its illegal.

Companies pay 10s of thousands of dollars to play a small sample of music in a 30 second commercial.

Is it legal for you to steal a sample, not even close.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Just to add, most of the record companies sell the rights for companies to produce ringtones from.

30 second clip, very likely not. Ringtone - most certainly not.
    Alasdair

Yea, I find alot of websites reaping profits from doing illegal things and it sucks because they are making money without a care and usually don't get caught.

and here I am trying to make a living but working harder while staying legal and legit.

Quote Originally Posted by damainman View Post
    Yea, I find alot of websites reaping profits from doing illegal things and it sucks because they are making money without a care and usually don't get caught.

and here I am trying to make a living but working harder while staying legal and legit.
    Sometimes, its okay to switch to the dark side for a minute or so
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

I'm sure I also once read somewhere, that you can play 30 seconds of a song it's longer than 5 minutes, 10% of the song length if it's under 5 minutes