Good Cheap Video Card

Hi I have been looking everywhere for an affordable Video Card that will be able to play some of todays modern games without it costing a fortune to pay for so I was wondering if anyone know of such a video card?

I have a 8600GT 512mb, cant go wrong with it.

Plays everything i chuck at it, very good mid-range card IMO.
    -- Adam

Is that the one that supports DirectX 10 As well?

Quote Originally Posted by jackapup View Post
    Is that the one that supports DirectX 10 As well?
    Yes, i believe all the 8000 series cards support DX10.

So its pretty much future proof.
    -- Adam

Make sure your power supply can handle a newer video card. What's your budget?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Ummm DX10 probably; however, I've heard that the new revision 10.1 that is comming out will require an upgrade to a new card.

On my Hackintosh, which started its life as a barebones TigerDirect.com special, I don't have a PCI Express slot so I grabbed an eVGA Nvidia GeForce 5200FX for $30 on eBay. Runs great on Windows XP/Vista and if you use the 'Natit' patch, it'll also support Quartz Extreme and Core Image (Mac).

It worked great to play games like GTA: SA on Windows, and Colin McRae Rally on Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by xbxbxc View Post
    Ummm DX10 probably; however, I've heard that the new revision 10.1 that is comming out will require an upgrade to a new card.
    10.1 isn't much of an update, so there's not much need to worry about that.

My powersupply sucks right now but i'm planning to buy a new one soon.

You just didn't say if you are a real gamer or not
    if not , new Intel integrated cards looks good enough for most games (On Non-Gamer point of view) but the only thing is licked the drivers
    Just one thing , You might want to change your motherboard for getting this

Check this link for more information : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA

Quote Originally Posted by Adam H View Post

Using one of these as well on one of my builds, it's fine for the casual gaming and it's relatively budget friendly. Will render decent rates with COD4, which is probably the most resource intensive game you'll play.

Safe bet if you're just looking for some free time fun

You said "modern games" so time to be fairly forward and blunt.

the 8600 s a bit of a ripoff for price/performance. You'd actually be better off going back a generation and getting a higher end card like the ATI X1950 Pro

Really depends on your budget.
    the "best value" video card right now is the 8800GT, however that'll still cost you $270 for the 512 MB version

Probably my pick for best Price v Performance right now is ATI's Radeon 3870, which is a more realistic $230

Again if this is out of your financial umbrella, the Radeon 3850 is a great performer for $170 [160 after MIR]

Down from there I'd get a Radeon 1950 Pro ($130)

And finally, for more or less the same price, there's the 8600 GT
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

I have a 8800GTS 640MB and runs great... all 8000 series cards support DX10 but I beleive only VISTA supports DX 10 not XP
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

Aslong as you buy XFX then your safe for life. IMHO XFX pump the most out of their cards. Get yourself a GeForce 8-series from them and you'll be set for the next few years.

I would go for an 8800GT. The 8600 is alright, but its worth paying a little extra for a far superior product.

Tigerdirect.ca try them out they have good stuff. and sometimes they make a mistake and send you 2 instead of 1 !!!
    seriously lol know 2 people where it happened to them..( one bought A 42" plasma and received 2 ) wish it happened to me...
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

Tiger isn't that great.

I'd check shopRBC.com first, if they ship to your area or if there's a store, they beat Tiger 9/10 times. Better quality site, lower prices, better service, and wider range of products.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewskii View Post
    Tigerdirect.ca try them out they have good stuff. and sometimes they make a mistake and send you 2 instead of 1 !!!
    seriously lol know 2 people where it happened to them..( one bought A 42" plasma and received 2 ) wish it happened to me...
    Tigerdirect's pretty overpriced compared to NCIX (Canada) and newegg (US)
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam H View Post

i would agree with him...great card low price..but maybe you should go for a SLI card... like a SLI 256 just to be ahead of the game ...( you would need a new mother board though if you dont already have SLI)
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

Quote Originally Posted by Drewskii View Post
    i would agree with him...great card low price..but maybe you should go for a SLI card... like a SLI 256 just to be ahead of the game ...( you would need a new mother board though if you dont already have SLI)
    Almost all nvidia support SLI, but SLI is a waste of money. It's terrible on price v. performance, and by the time next gen comes out, one highend will be stronger than two highend of the previous generation.

I was looking into getting another 8600GT for SLI but the performance gain was only about 50% extra then a single card.
    -- Adam

I prefer 8800GT.

I agree with misticil, the 3870 and 3850s are a great deal right now considering price vs. performance. If you're looking for something cheaper, I've got an X1950 and it handles pretty much anything I throw at it without much difficulty (yes, even Crysis, but of course not on max settings). I saw one on NCIX the other day for $118 CAN.

I've been huge fan of ATI x1950 series. Although my PC came with x1950GT model (instead of faster x1950Pro), I was able to play latest PC games including Crysis, Call of Duty 4, etc.

If you can afford more expensive card, go for ATI 3850.

Useful link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/...graphics_card/
    Life is too short for 56k!

I also go with 8800GT 512mb.I find a deal for EVGA GeFORCE 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 video card... $232..You can check it out.
    <<Removed>>
    Last edited by Mike V; 08-04-2008 at 01:38 AM.

The 8800GT is a high end video card, the 8600gt is more along the middle of the pack, just depends what you want to spend.

8800GT is sort of upper middle, while the 8600, being labelled middle of the class, falls over the price v performancce scope that the 8800 and the 38** series from ATI offers.

small budget: 3850, mid-range budget: 8800GT, high-end budget: 8800GTS (512MB) or if you need 768MB 8800GTX/Ultra

Does anyone know if offloading movies and such into the latest cards on Linux is possible?

Obviously games get offloaded onto the GPU, but under Vista you get h.264 offloading. Is this software or hardware or what? And would this work with say an N64 emulator to offload most of the stuff on the GPU?

From what I can tell, nVIDIA has had H.264 acceleration support since the GF6 series (and it works fine in Windows with PureVideo drivers), but has not developed Linux drivers capable of supporting this (so to answer your first question, AFAIK, it's not yet possible). The offloading is probably done in software (drivers), and the processing in hardware (GPU). As for an N64 emulator, if it can make use of hardware 3D acceleration, it should work fine with any supported 3D-accelerated graphics card out there with the latest drivers installed (most I've seen do this without a hitch under Windows; not sure about Linux but I figure it'd be the same).