Gameserver Hosting Business

Me and a friend are actually looking to start up our own gameserver hosting business and just wondering if you guys think it would be a good way to start off with a already made business that offers gameserver reselling?

As long as the business has no red flags (losing profit, bad reputation, etc), then it would give you clients to start with. Otherwise, you could start your own.

Just remember that high end servers and bandwidth is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by HRealms View Post
    As long as the business has no red flags (losing profit, bad reputation, etc), then it would give you clients to start with. Otherwise, you could start your own.

Just remember that high end servers and bandwidth is a must.
    I think you misunderstood the OP's question. I believe he's asking if they should rent dedicated boxes to begin with or go with a reseller.

If I have your question correct, I'd suggest going with a dedicated server. Sure a reseller would be uber cheap to begin with but if you can't support a couple hundred dollars a month for a dedicated, you likely shouldn't be getting into business.

Grab one good high end dedi, good bandwidth, make your website and start accepting orders!

I've heard that gaming server industry is one to stay clear of, too many kids getting servers for a month or two and disconnecting it and parents bouncing credit card payments etc

I may be completely wrong, but its what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    Grab one good high end dedi, good bandwidth, make your website and start accepting orders!
    Of course don't take this too literally though! Don't ever just jump into business, plan very carefully ahead. Make sure you have your business planned out. First things first though, do you have the skills/knowledge to operate and maintain your own servers? Sorry if that offends you at all but many people do jump into the web hosting industry without the correct knowledge!

ST-Mike, where would someone start gaining knowledge about webhosting, vent hosting, or game server hosting? I'm sure if he/she is really interested and does not yet know enough to jump right in then maybe he/she could use someone to point them in the right direction! I would also slowly like to learn more myself. Any suggestions?

Also, another thing I should probably mention. At first, you would only be able to sell unranked game servers, and possibly be an affiliate of a ranked provider. If you are a gamer, you know that ranked servers are a lot more popular than non-ranked, and that will affect you a lot. Also, it's very very difficult to get into these programs. They don't allow "applications". So they have to want you, which if you are a new company, they're not really going to want you. I don't mean anything bad by that, I just know how they are going to work. So you've got those things to think about.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Quote Originally Posted by stuuntn View Post
    ST-Mike, where would someone start gaining knowledge about webhosting, vent hosting, or game server hosting? I'm sure if he/she is really interested and does not yet know enough to jump right in then maybe he/she could use someone to point them in the right direction! I would also slowly like to learn more myself. Any suggestions?
    Well I guess here is a great place to start, so well done! You will find it more orientated around website hosting at these forums though I think, there are sure to be some big game server hosts here though.. and lots of information! Check out the competition too - do some searches on Google!

Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post
    I've heard that gaming server industry is one to stay clear of, too many kids getting servers for a month or two and disconnecting it and parents bouncing credit card payments etc

In my experience, that is right on.

To the OP: If you do decide to start a game server host, whatever you do, do not go cheap on the network. This is very important as gamers will immediately notice packet loss/downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    Also, another thing I should probably mention. At first, you would only be able to sell unranked game servers, and possibly be an affiliate of a ranked provider. If you are a gamer, you know that ranked servers are a lot more popular than non-ranked, and that will affect you a lot. Also, it's very very difficult to get into these programs. They don't allow "applications". So they have to want you, which if you are a new company, they're not really going to want you. I don't mean anything bad by that, I just know how they are going to work. So you've got those things to think about.
    This actually all depends on the business model / plan the OP has. We applied and were accepted as a Ventrilo hosting company with 0 clients.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Dave View Post
    In my experience, that is right on.

To the OP: If you do decide to start a game server host, whatever you do, do not go cheap on the network. This is very important as gamers will immediately notice packet loss/downtime.
    We deal with gaming clients daily and have no more problems then a webhosting company would. I think everyone's idea of the gameserver market keeps many of the GSP's laughing all the way to the bank.

I couldn't agree more with your Network comment Dave. One thing about gamers, any packetloss... they'll notice and report it IMMEDIATELY.

I will say from experience

You must plan out our business

Have reserves for about 6 months - incase you dont get a client within the first 2-3

Having a fully working website and knowledgale staff

Dont SPONSOR - Really it doesnt work unless they are Complexity etc. but those guys are sponsored.

Unless you and your friend have a big wallet and aren't afraid to lose money before making anything, I'd advise against entering this market.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I agree, but make sure you have a data center or dedicated servers that meet your requirements and where you do not pay much - otherwise you will not be making a lot of money.

I've been hosting game servers for only about 3 months. It is a money pit to be sure. The only way to compete is to sell servers at a loss until you can get big enough to make a profit through scale. This will take at least a year probably more. I wouldn't suggest it for the casual hobbiest. Be ready to sink a lot of money into it at first or don't bother. Kids are fickle and only go for the cheapest servers they can find until they figure out they have loads of packetloss, then they hop to the next cheapest one and work their way up. Unfortunately the worst game hosts out there tend to get the most customers through cheap pricing, regardless of the quality they provide *cough* gameservers.com *cough*.

Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post

That is absolutely true. However, that is when you fix your Terms of Service so that you issue no refunds and then when the pissed parents ask for their money back, you say: "We do not offer refunds, sorry - /hang up phone."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    That is absolutely true. However, that is when you fix your Terms of Service so that you issue no refunds and then when the pissed parents ask for their money back, you say: "We do not offer refunds, sorry - /hang up phone."
    And then deal with the chargeback

We require a signed authorization form with ID that matches the name on the card. That way there's no dispute that the cardholder authorized the charge.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

how can you setup to sell game server any aways?