Searching for a Hosting Provider

I'm suffering from my choice to use Godaddy as a hosting provider, and I've reached the point where I just can't stay there any longer. Their technical support is terrible, my site is down and/or my FTP is down way too often, and I'm tired of writing code that works everywhere but Godaddy.

I have been searching ALL DAY for a new host, and I was very close to getting an account with serverpoint.com, but they don't have apache installed, and mod_rewrite is essential for one of my custom php scripts. Of all of the hosts I interviewed today, they seemed the best, and so I'm looking for a host that would be like them but with apache.

1) I like a host with a very current php installation.
    2) Technical support by phone, from people who care and speak english.
    3) I need to be able to host 3 domains with the same hosting account, and don't want to have to pay extra.
    4) I'd love to find a host that has compiled their php with more than the barebones. Extensions like tidy, soap, and pdo would be great. cURL is a must.
    5) MySQL with phpmyAdmin.
    6) Allows Override .htaccess.
    7) The potential use of PEAR modules would excite me.

I don't need a lot of bandwidth or disk space, and I'd like the price to be reasonable. Godaddy was $6.95 a month, and it's OK if I spend a little more.

So, please make suggestions.

I would recommend HostGator.
    Its cheap and they offer a good service.

Sorry to hear that buddy, search the forums there are alot of great hosting companies here.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 01-09-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Hi!

I suggest you to make a research of the host fitting your needs, then make a shortlist and search about them here, that basically should cover you of make a bad decision on the chose of your next host
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 01-09-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Hi Brian,

First - welcome to WHT! You will love it here, I am sure.

I am surprised the company you mentioned does not offer Apache. Most Linux hosts have Apache installed. Anyway; if I were you, I would use WHT's HostQuote feature, detailing all of your requirements (as you have done in your post). You will receive a list of compatable hosts that meet those requirements. You can then review those hosts. You will find the HostQuote feature in the menus at the top of each page. You might also try the offers section of the forum.

All of your requirements are quite common I assure you. Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out!
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

<< Removed response to removed post >>

or www.hostgator.com

host gator is large and pretty decent, but then again godaddy is large as well =p
    GoDaddy is large but that does not mean its the best! GoDaddy is great @ domains and other business solutions but hosting!

For hosting I always recommend web hosts who know what they are doing.
    Last edited by writespeak; 01-09-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

and mod_rewrite is essential for one of my custom php scripts.
    Zeus, the webserver they use, has a mod_rewrite equivalent I believe, and from what I read there is a tool that "translates" the Apache code to Zeus code.

That is... if your desire to use serverpoint is big enough to risk compatibility issues.

Hi Brian,

It sounds like you need what most hosts already provide however you mentioned Phone Support which can vary from host to host. Once you have a few hosting providers in mind, give them a call and ask a few questions and see how the support is over the phone. You will probably get a better feel for the provider once you speak over the phone.

Good Luck!

I would recommend lunarpages. I have been dealing with them for the last 2 years and I had no problem at all. They don't outsource technical support (they are US based), so expect prompt answers (in English, lol).