Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Equinix Ashburn Smart Hands

    Does anyone have a good contact or contractor that they can recommend in the vicinity of Equinix Ashburn? Preferably someone who's done work in the facility before. We're in DC4 - which is building E I believe.

    While Equinix has great staff, sometimes I just need simple things like servers unpacked and racked - things that I'd prefer not to pay $200/hr. for.

    Thanks!
    --
    matt
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevate View Post
    Does anyone have a good contact or contractor that they can recommend in the vicinity of Equinix Ashburn? Preferably someone who's done work in the facility before. We're in DC4 - which is building E I believe.

    While Equinix has great staff, sometimes I just need simple things like servers unpacked and racked - things that I'd prefer not to pay $200/hr. for.

    Thanks!
    --
    matt
    I'm afraid your going to pay that on average for remote hands regardless what company you use.
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    112
    I agree with you about the $200/hr being high for the tasks they perform and was thinking of starting a service to do just that, but unfortunetly im in their NJ Datacenters so it wouldnt help you
    ProRack.com
    AmericanDataCenter.com
    NY2 Equinix Secaucus NJ
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    $200/hr seems low for professional services even if you get some kid to rack and stack for a little less they will hit you up for drive time.
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,872
    I know Attourneys that charge $100/hour, so your saying for the services they do, they went to college for 6-8 years and passed a bar? If your making $200/hour, that's $416,000 a year working 40 hours a week.

    That seems pretty high cost to me for the services that they do.

      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    I know Attourneys that charge $100/hour, so your saying for the services they do, they went to college for 6-8 years and passed a bar? If your making $200/hour, that's $416,000 a year working 40 hours a week.

    That seems pretty high cost to me for the services that they do.
    100/hr is low for an attourney. Also keep in mind that 200/hr.. pays the techs salary.. + their taxes + Accounting work + profit for the company charging for it..

    Sure one man shops charging 200/hr its good money but not necessarily to a business that has a staff.
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    If your making $200/hour, that's $416,000 a year working 40 hours a week.
    The whole point is that you don't have 100% of your hours as billable.
    OmegaSphere - http://www.omegasphere.net/
    Vancouver co-location, Managed Services, Shared Hosting, SSL Certificates, Domain Names
    Your IT Experts - Located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada
    604-618-0543 - 866-618-0543 - [email protected]
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    I know Attourneys that charge $100/hour,
    $100 an hour?? Wow. I wish. $250/hr + is more like it in my experience.

    Tom
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    I know Attourneys that charge $100/hour, so your saying for the services they do, they went to college for 6-8 years and passed a bar? If your making $200/hour, that's $416,000 a year working 40 hours a week.

    That seems pretty high cost to me for the services that they do.
    I've never paid less than $300/hour for a corporate attorney, I'd somewhat skeptical about a $100/hour corporate attorney.
    Last edited by mhalligan; 01-09-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Fiing a typo
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New York / New Jersey
    Posts
    753
    Got to pay to play.

    You can pay Equinix to get smart hands or someone else to get a smart person.
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    I always say two things you should never bargain shop on are Attorney's and Plastic Surgeons....I know carpet cleaner's that make $100/hr...Just cause you can bill $200 for a few hours of work does not mean your going to make $400k+/yr
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    550
    If it's "college kid work" you could probably post on the Washington DC craigslist and find a student at GMU, GWU, or NOVA who wouldn't mind doing it for $50/hour.

    I guess it all comes down to how much work you need done. If it's just 1-2 hours of work, it may not be worth the hassle of going through that process.
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    3,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    I'm afraid your going to pay that on average for remote hands regardless what company you use.
    That's really not true. We have never been in a data center that charged more than $175 per hour, and that was hour after hours tier 3/4 type support. Now that we have our own data center, our remote hands rates are well below $200/hr.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    That's really not true. We have never been in a data center that charged more than $175 per hour, and that was hour after hours tier 3/4 type support. Now that we have our own data center, our remote hands rates are well below $200/hr.
    Different markets, granted if we had a datacenter in texas i'm sure it would be cheaper too. Cost of living/depending on different markets can vary greatly just like cost of power.
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    462
    Wait, isn't Handy from Denver and not Texas? Or were you just making a general comparison with ashburn?
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    4,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Different markets, granted if we had a datacenter in texas i'm sure it would be cheaper too. Cost of living/depending on different markets can vary greatly just like cost of power.
    Definitely depends on the market. One datacenter we use in NYC charges $300/hour for remote hands. We save money by getting independent techies to do it for half that.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    .INdiana
    Posts
    2,451
    certainly does seem like an opportunity for an enterprising person to set up a $50/hour part-time business.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    I can recommend you Eicomm. My servers are hosted with them in the Equinix Ashburn data center. I believe they charge US$ 175/hr for new contracts, but you might be able to negotiate that with them, they are very flexible, professional and trustworthy. Been with them for over 7 years. Talk to Jason Detar at: (724)-858-1132
      0 Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •