Thread: Starting up

Starting up

Hey i'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong forum, move it if you wish

I was just hoping to get some advice and tips from you guys.
    I'm looking at starting a Web Hosting company and just wanted to know how to go about things properly.

Is it worth getting a Reseller to start with until i build up some clients or go straight to a dedicated and just upgrade accordingly?
    Also
    Could you please recomend some good providers for Resellers / Dedicated, whichever is applicable

Thanks in advance.

Also, Innohosting.
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!

My suggestion is to ultimately realize that its sometimes a hard industry to start in. That in mind unless you have some serious cash and experience behind you its best to stay small as possible at first.

There is no since spending money just to go bottoms up. You can start out very small and still be very successfull in the future, but if not you havent wasted much.

Get a reseller hosting account with a good company that has backup solution in place on their plans and on quality servers. Check the network their servers are on as well. You can always easily upgrade later with the same host to a dedicated with no problem.

Use paypal for your payment solution. This is in most cases free, secure, and a less headache than merchant accounts. It also integrates with almost all billing desks, etc.

Check out WHMAutopilot and WHMCS for billing/support. Although i highly recommend WHMCS, whmautopilot is also nice.

All in all you can get a reseller hosting account for a few bucks a month, get a WHMCS license (if your host doesnt already provide one), get a free paypal, free enom registration account and then just pay a install & integration fee direct from WHMCS and they will set it all up and your ready to go.

You can usually get a good custom web design around the forums for around 150-375. I recommend www.mindbees.com
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Do something extra new in web hostding deals I think that new ideas will attract more people.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Thanks alot RH4U, great informative post
    I currently work as a Freelance Web Developer so i'm able to setup the site and everything myself (Just wanted something on the side from my main job).
    Other than thatp art i'll look into everything. Thanks.

Also thanks to other people for reccomendations and advice.

You may think about starting off with a reseller hosting plan, this will at least give you taste of what you need to do and help build a customer database.
    Cloud Hosting - Intelligent, Auto-Scalable & Pay-Per-Use | Near Unlimited Resources
    Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed UK Dedicated Servers
    Complete, Fully Managed Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com!

Well as a web developer you already have an ace in the whole. You know you have a customer base from your web developing services so you can easily bundle this with your hosting packages and such.. So you should have a good start.

Welcome to WHT by the way! Hang around the forums and you will get alot of good info.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Reseller account -- is the best way to start and work your way up from there.

Search on WHT -- dont underestimate the info you can get here. It has helped me immensely and the response from WHT members is awesome. I owe a lot to the community here for their positive responses as it has helped me setup my own web hosting biz.

Good Luck and dont hesitate to ask for help!!
    AnmolTech.com ----- Reseller Hosting,WebHosting,WebDesign,Domains,SEO !!
    Priceless services at affordable Prices - Anmol means ~ priceless
    Comprehensive Tutorial section
    Anmol Technologies, LLC

Good stuff.

I am new to it as well. I am in the middle of building two hosts. I have one advantage a lot do not. I can put cash behind my business venture. However, now I am weighing out my support options, and if I want to take on a business partner.

Quote Originally Posted by RH4U View Post
    Well as a web developer you already have an ace in the whole. You know you have a customer base from your web developing services so you can easily bundle this with your hosting packages and such.. So you should have a good start.

Welcome to WHT by the way! Hang around the forums and you will get alot of good info.
    Great stuff fine sire.

I agree whole-heartedly with RH4U. I made the mistake when I first got into web hosting (the first time). I went out, purchased a huge dedicated server and thought that in a matter of a few weeks I would have the expense covered with multiple $2.99 web hosting packages. It just doesn't work that way. Start small but if you are relying on others through reseller packages then you certainly need to stick with the more reputable companies.

Don't rely on the new guy on the block who is making the same mistake mentioned above. He'll be out of business more than likely in a few months.
    TRAVSOLUTIONS.com
    Affordable Ecommerce Web Hosting Services
    http://www.travsolutions.com

Add-on to a couple of previous posts in this thread... To start off, you should have atleast $300-600 upfront and have $50-80 set aside monthly. This of course is to start off small.
    A design + coding can set you back anywhere from $75 to $500 depending on what you want. I would suggest looking to spend around $200-300 for a site, in order to get full functionality out of a design. Next is billing, there are multiple scripts to choose from here. Here are a few of the popular ones: ClientExec, WHMCS, WHM Autopilot, Blesta, and my favorite ModernBill. These usually come with a 30 day free trial and can be rented for about $15-20 monthly afterwards. After that, billing script integration. Unless you can find someone willing to provide this with the web design, you should look to pay around $75. (Almost forgot the main ingredient...) A reseller account can be purchased from almost any host. One of my favorites is Site5.com. This will set you back about another $20 a month. Last but not least, if you want to build a strong customer base you will need to provide various customer support options. The best that I know of so far is Kayako.com, simply unbeatable.

If you have any further questions feel free to PM me.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Do your homework and you will succeed! Starting out with a reseller account is the most cost effective way to get in without laying out a lot of capital for facilities, equipment, and data lines. Friends and family are a great place to start after that it becomes interesting!

Try to combine web design with your hosting and you will surely get the business you desire! We started out as hosting only and quickly found ourselves becoming designers in order to maximize our revenue.
    ------------------------------------
    Get the best from Nuvad Technologies
    http://www.nuvad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RH4U View Post

I love this forum
    I'm new but the Ideas and tips is brilliant!!!!!
    Because of this site ive signed 12 customers last week
    We Bring Good Things to Life!
    www.pctank.co.uk
    - Web Design - Search Engine Optimization - Graphic Design -

Reseller Account - You should start off with this if you don't have any experience whatsoever with hosting. It is also cheaper since your only renting a small amount of space off the server. I would go with this one if you have never had any experience in the hosting business or aren't familiar with the control panels.

Dedicated Server - If your going to start off with a dedicated server I would recommend getting a low end budget one to start off. If you do start off with a low end server you will have to have money to pay for it in case you don't get enough clients for a certain month. You will have to have knowledge of managing a server and be well familiar with the control panels.

In the end I think it just depends on how much experience and money you have.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

another question ...
    how to integrate the domain registration with webhosting site, its completely a mystery for me until now, please solve it
    Great Bidding Directory Submit your Hosting Sites NOw.

Once you have enough cash on hand, your own servers will bring a lot more credibility to your operation. This kind of business is tedious and can be very difficult until you build a name for yourself. Sounds like you have a little better start than I did when I gave it a go. Good Luck to you, I wish you have great success.

If i was you id start with a reseller account.
    Cheap, and easy to back out of it you find its not for you.

I'm not a Newbie, but haven't posted anything before. I was just hanging around, reading all the threads happening. This is such a FANTASTIC community and knowledge base.

Even though it will not be much helpful, i will just brief my story. Me also very much interested to build a small webhosting unit. I have started it few months back, but not able to make any online presence because much busy with my profession. Basically I'm a webhosting systems administrator by profession. So itself, setting up a hosting unit is not a big deal. But I really crazy about the business, to set it up from scratch! Advertising the reselling account to my friends, just through phone and email. The main advantage is, we can explain more about our package, may be more than that of an online website. But the disadvantage is, not expect anything from unknown persons. The relationship ends at Friends-of-Friends!

Reseller account would be a good choice. Because, most of the VPS server providers will not provide any WHMCS like account managers. You can't integrate your online presence to control panel. I'm not saying it is not possible, it is possible. But you may need to invest extra money on that. You have to purchase additional license for these kind of softwares. Control panel managing + billing softwares are bundled with reseller accounts. Comparing to a fully loaded VPS account, reseller account is very cheap.

I think WHMCS and clientexec are the most helpful automating systems around. Few advantage of WHMCS are, very clean architecture, more user friendly, can be integrated with website. The BEST feature i have found at clientexec is support tickets can be forwarded anonymously to remote technical support, and back to clients also.

To attract clients you may need to implement cool business tricks, Innovative ideas. Of course there is room for all the new comers into this industry. I'm sure you can find a lot good ideas from WHT itself.

Very Nice to meet you all, and all the best.

Mathew