Confused about dns

Boy, I just can't seem to wrap my head around this DNS stuff. I'm in the process of moving a number of sites over to a new server, and I am confused about the DNS process.

Example: www.engravedwood.com . I made the DNS changes at the registrar 2 days ago. When I point to the site in my browser, I can see that it is displaying files on the new server. I can also do a whois and see that it is showing the new server info. Yet when I do a ping or a tracert, it is still showing the old server IP address. How can that be? Is a ping or a tracert not supposed to show real time status??

Thanks for your help.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

ping and tracert all depends on what routers your ISP decides to send them through, which means that they might have your old nameservers in their tables. wait another 12 to 24 hours and it should be fine.

Ah, so it depends on how often my ISP updates their records as well. Hadn't thought of that.

Thanks, Akash.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by vito
    Ah, so it depends on how often my ISP updates their records as well. Hadn't thought of that.

Thanks, Akash.

Vito
    No problem