Does Media Layer offer SSH access

Can I trust them with a busy site?

I'm thinking of giving that LX plan a shot.

Can it handle 100K pageviews a month?

Please suggest.

I wanna go with a reliable provider which can keep my sites up.

thx
    HostRush - Buffalo, NY Shared, WordPress & Solution Hosting
    cPanel - CentOS - Linux Hosting
    Blazing Fast Hosting, Courteous & Prompt Service
    PreSales & Emergency Tech Support 716-539-5257

This is one of the reasons I'm hesitating going with them. I need speed, which they seem to offer but my site is small and I don't want it to be hosted with abusing web sites, which they seem to welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Costaud View Post
    This is one of the reasons I'm hesitating going with them. I need speed, which they seem to offer but my site is small and I don't want it to be hosted with abusing web sites, which they seem to welcome!
    I'm not sure what "abusing web sites" means but they are an excellent choice. To answer the first question, even the most basic plan can handle 100,000 page views without blinking.

The real question is, what is the content of those pages? If they're static pages, you could handle 100,000,000,000. If they are database heavy, dynamic pages, it could be much less.

There forum pages with about 30 queries per page.

Right now I'm getting about 15K pageviews a month, but traffic is growing and we should be up to 100k pageviews (human) in the next 4 - 5 months.

We have a lot of custom code and that's why I asked if they allow shell access thru ssh.

thx

Yes, they offer ssh and in my experience they've been very reliable (around 99.94% uptime) as well as offering consistent, extremely fast page loads on dynamic sites.

What do you mean by "abusing"? They certainly don't welcome spammers or script kiddies . If you mean relatively high cpu / memory applications, they seem to have the infrastructure and pricing ($/GB transfer) to deliver what they promise. Even when a neighbour's site was dugg I barely noticed the rise in load average.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Yeah, this one: relatively high cpu / memory applications.

There forum pages with about 30 queries per page.

Right now I'm getting about 15K pageviews a month, but traffic is growing and we should be up to 100k pageviews (human) in the next 4 - 5 months.
    That's not a hight number (not even 100k page views per month), we host sites getting 10k unique visits per day without any issue (Wordpress blogs), I'm 99.9% sure that they wont have any problem handling that kind of traffic.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you are talking about. Could you please tell me why you're making the assertion that we host abusive web sites?

We do host some sites that may be considered "too high CPU usage" for certain hosts. This is why we place a very low number of customers per server and use very high end hardware, and those are just a few of the things we do to maintain a high performance environment.
    Last edited by layer0; 01-08-2008 at 10:18 PM.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Thanks foobic and everybody else.

I think i'm giving them a try.

This is balanced out by reasonable prices and a low number of clients per server. When you aren't trying to stick 800 people on a server you can host higher resource clients.

They hosted my site through being "dugg" (a term for being on the front page of digg.com) as well as loads of traffic to my database heavy site. I can't recommend anything more! I was afraid I would have to change over to a dedicated server but they have served me very well.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Could you please tell me why you're making the assertion that we host abusive web sites?
    This is what people over here are saying. I remember reading a few posts where your host was recommended for people asking for more resources.

This is what people over here are saying. I remember reading a few posts where your host was recommended for people asking for more resources.
    That's not abusive if it does not affect the performance of other customers' websites.

If a website is negatively affecting the performance of our environment we'd take the appropriate action--whether that be contacting the customer to work something out (if it's not a major issue), moving the customer to another server, placing a throttle on their site, or in the absolute worst case scenario, suspending the account.

The point is, we care about the performance of our environment, and this shouldn't be a reason for you to be hesitant to choose us.

If you'd like us to go more in depth please contact our sales department directly.
    Last edited by layer0; 01-09-2008 at 12:44 AM.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business