Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a question about crucial web hosting

Hi I have been doing a lot of research before choosing a hosting company.

And I have been thinking of signing up with Crucial for a while now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that their plans are just like shared hosting, but inside a VPS?

So even if they say their server runs on 24 GB Ram, if the hosting is inside a VPS, doesn't that mean I am not getting 24 GB RAM? and much more close to standard VPS memory allowance like 256 MB - 1 GB?

Could someone clarify for me?
      0 Not allowed!

No.

What they do is essentially split clusters of servers into many VPS nodes, with each node hosting something like 15-30 accounts. This means users are generally more isolated from each other if one user goes a bit crazy with resources. Users can be given access to additional/larger nodes during times of traffic bursting such as when being dugg.

Don't misunderstand it and think each user is getting a VPS. It's largely a way of improving stability for customers (one wild user only affects ~30 people instead of ~1000) and managing customers who need temporary high resources. The end effect is an experience pretty much dissimilar to normal shared hosting, albeit with pretty snappy servers at this time.

Read some of the threads about Crucial (at least one of which is still on the first page) and you'll find the owner detailing the technology.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by beautyher View Post
    So even if they say their server runs on 24 GB Ram, if the hosting is inside a VPS, doesn't that mean I am not getting 24 GB RAM? and much more close to standard VPS memory allowance like 256 MB - 1 GB?
    Good question. It seems to me that this must be the case, at least initially. If each group of 15-30 users is truly isolated from the other groups then surely they must be subject to a memory limit, otherwise a digg or ddos on one user could use up the full 24GB. I'd guess that the limit would be more than 256MB and it could well be more than 1GB, but it must be less than 24GB as long as you're sharing the physical machine between multiple groups.

Perhaps when a group becomes busy they'd move it to a separate machine where it could use the full 24GB? I wonder how long it would take to move... Edit: and how long they'd be willing to keep it there!

Then again, if one user consistently needs more than 1GB then the only suitable shared hosting would come at a significantly higher price.

It'll be interesting to see Crucial's response to this...
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    No.

What they do is essentially split clusters of servers into many VPS nodes, with each node hosting something like 15-30 accounts. This means users are generally more isolated from each other if one user goes a bit crazy with resources. Users can be given access to additional/larger nodes during times of traffic bursting such as when being dugg.

Don't misunderstand it and think each user is getting a VPS. It's largely a way of improving stability for customers (one wild user only affects ~30 people instead of ~1000) and managing customers who need temporary high resources. The end effect is an experience pretty much dissimilar to normal shared hosting, albeit with pretty snappy servers at this time.

Read some of the threads about Crucial (at least one of which is still on the first page) and you'll find the owner detailing the technology.
    Ryan,

It actually does look like the OP understood it. I don't see where they ever implied that they believe they're getting a VPS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that their plans are just like shared hosting, but inside a VPS?
    And that is exactly what it is, for the most part.
      0 Not allowed!

Looks like I misread that. I thought he believed each shared plan got a very small VPS.
      0 Not allowed!

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    I believe a few links will be help here.

http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/virtuozzo/advantages/

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...6&postcount=57

If you have any specific questions please address those at our Sales department as WHT is not really the place for sales support. We walk a fine line of breaking the self promotion rules of WHT when discussing our own service.

Thanks for your interest.

Kind regards
    CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!
      0 Not allowed!

correct me if I am wrong, but splitting a physical server to many VPSs, the management time will go up. Instead of updating one server, now they have to do many times. Then need more staff to do it -> raising cost, or their VPSs are out-of-date? Even the advantage is protecting customers, in case someone's abused, but I am not sure if it's a good way?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    correct me if I am wrong, but splitting a physical server to many VPSs, the management time will go up. Instead of updating one server, now they have to do many times. Then need more staff to do it -> raising cost, or their VPSs are out-of-date? Even the advantage is protecting customers, in case someone's abused, but I am not sure if it's a good way?
    I'm sure they have the majority of that automated.
      0 Not allowed!

I am looking for an automated solution in a long time, but cannot find out any. Control panel, yum can be updated by cronjob daily, but how about other software. Also you will need to check the logs everyday, etc.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I am looking for an automated solution in a long time, but cannot find out any. Control panel, yum can be updated by cronjob daily, but how about other software. Also you will need to check the logs everyday, etc.
    3 words: Build your own.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the replies.

I think I have a clearer picture but I am still confused.

So crucial web hosting would be just a company that is selling hosting space on one of their VPS plans?

Isn't that like a step backwards?

Because from my understanding, VPS usually got less memory and less cpu than a standard server

This means, a company who doesn't oversell their shared plans can offer a lot more performance than a vps.

Their plans already seems like overselling it too.

250GB and Unlimited domains and 2TB of bandwidth.

Please provide me some real intelligent feedbacks.

Finding a good host have never been tougher lately.
    Last edited by beautyher; 01-08-2008 at 10:23 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Ryan,
    And that is exactly what it is, for the most part.

Sorry wrong.

You're spreading unfounded rumors.

<<snip>>
    Last edited by sirius; 01-08-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: not needed

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial Web Host View Post
    Sorry wrong.

I mean no harm by my statement. The OP wanted clarification as to whether he would be getting an account within a VPS, and all I told them is that they were correct. And for the record, I think you've got a very nice setup.
    Last edited by sirius; 01-08-2008 at 10:42 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial Web Host View Post
    Sorry wrong.

It's not really an unfounded rumor. Here's a small excerpt from the SWSoft website (http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/vi...tions/hosting/):

"Split-Shared services split shared hosting accounts or services running on a single server into several VEs for manageability and isolation."

How is that not an account within a VPS?
    Last edited by dgarbus; 01-08-2008 at 10:38 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Gentleman, can we please take this to PM?

0 Not allowed!

I dont know, all this hosting companies now starting to seem like a one big giant scam.

I think Crucial needs to stop fooling people into disguising their hosting plans with their mumbo jumbo slangs.

I for once absolutely bought into their idea that they have a totally unique hosting plan.

I actually thought each of those plans would come with full dedicated CPU of dualQuadCore w/ 24GB Memory.
      0 Not allowed!

Am I correct in assuming that a cheap dedicated server would offer me better performance than Crucial hosting's $25/month plan?

Because after all, it is just a VPS hosting isn't it?
      0 Not allowed!

I dont know, all this hosting companies now starting to seem like a one big giant scam.

I think Crucial needs to stop fooling people into disguising their hosting plans with their mumbo jumbo slangs.

I for once absolutely bought into their idea that they have a totally unique hosting plan.

I actually thought each of those plans would come with full dedicated CPU of dualQuadCore w/ 24GB Memory.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. This is par for the course here at wht for Crucial -

We offer a full money back 101 day guarantee. We back it up.

The only reason you feel your being 'scammed' is because our competitors want that.

I apologize for the confusion. If you have any questions feel free to contact our sales department.

Kind regards

0 Not allowed!

Well I already have my own VPS hosting with Liquid Web and I really do not wish to host a site inside a VPS.

It just feels a bit, *cheap*. I dont know.

I think I'll just go with MediaLayer on this one.
      0 Not allowed!

For $25/month?????

Maybe I'm missing something obvious - but I dont see anything wrong with the plans.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    For $25/month?????

Maybe I'm missing something obvious - but I dont see anything wrong with the plans.

Sirius
    Neither do I.

beautyher,

Perhaps this will help you better understand. Think of a VPS as more of a "container" for customers than a VPS such as what you've got with Liquid Web. Not all VPSes are the same, and if you're unhappy with the performance on your Liquid Web VPS don't use that as any indication for how you'll feel about the performance on Crucial Web Host's VPSes or "containers"--I doubt you will have any problems. This is how I've felt all along - it is still a VPS, but that doesn't mean you should compare to a VPS such as what you'd buy from a VPS provider. It's the same technology used for a different purpose (and combined with other technologies).
    Last edited by layer0; 01-08-2008 at 10:55 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

No harm, No foul guys.

I appreciate the post below Layer, thanks -

Everyone have a nice evening.

0 Not allowed!

Right, so your getting 24GB memory, Quad COre CPu for $25.
    Their not using mumbo-jumpo, if you cant understand it...then thats your own fault.

Serioulsy, its not that hard.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, that is why it really intrigued me at first.
    But the more I thought about it, the more I realized this was just a company offering hosting on their VPS.

It was a bit tricky to understand but as one poster here said, a it's great marketing, nevertheless.

I was nearly sold into it.
      0 Not allowed!

I was just on softlayer.com and it seems softlayer is the one doing all the dirty work for them.

In other words, these guys (crucialwebhosting) aren't even by their datacenter.

Infact, they are states apart.

So that brings me to say, how could I trust a hosting company whose employees aren't even at their datacenter?
      0 Not allowed!

So that brings me to say, how could I trust a hosting company whose employees aren't even at their datacenter?
    That is the case for, most likely, the vast majority of hosts on this forum. It shouldn't be a turnoff.
      0 Not allowed!

What good is 24GB Ram and Quad Core if the server can have multiple VPS inside the server?
    Not to mention, those VPS will eat up more Cpu and Memory, thus making it even slower.

It's not all that different from standard shared hosting.

Infact, finding a hosting company that doesn't oversell like MediaLayer would offer a lot more performance than Crucial's VPS.
      0 Not allowed!

Infact, finding a hosting company that doesn't oversell like MediaLayer would offer a lot more performance than Crucial's VPS.
    How do you know this for sure? Your posts thus far are simply ridiculous. Why don't you actually try a host before making assumptions based on anything but fact?
      0 Not allowed!

I am very sorry that you do not understand our technology.

It's not easily understood. It doesnt help when people with no practical experience begin to comment on the technology.

I hope you have a long and happy stay with MediaLayer as he provides a great hosting service. I've no doubt you will be happy with this decision for years to come.

Kindly,
    Last edited by Crucial Web Host; 01-08-2008 at 11:10 PM.

0 Not allowed!

lol, so are you saying that every single shared host on this forum has to run thier own datacenter for you to trust them?

Ah, man, you are one funny dude.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!
      0 Not allowed!

What good is 24GB Ram and Quad Core if the server can have multiple VPS inside the server?
    Not to mention, those VPS will eat up more Cpu and Memory, thus making it even slower.

It's not all that different from standard shared hosting.

There are quite a few advantages to using a VPS as a container for customers. In fact, we've been using virtualization for over a year on certain custom configurations. Our site is hosted on VPSes as well.

Don't be so quick to discount CrucialWebHost's offering...they are far from a scam.
    Last edited by layer0; 01-08-2008 at 11:15 PM.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

well for a company that charges $25/month for shared hosting, i'd expect to get a lot more than I bargained for.

it's basically hostgator, using VPS.
      0 Not allowed!

well for a company that charges $25/month for shared hosting, i'd expect to get a lot more than I bargained for.
    And there's only one way to find out what you get... They do have a 101 day money back guarantee, so what's there to lose?

it's basically hostgator, using VPS.
    How could you say that without using them?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

don't get me wrong, i am all for trying it out.

i am just upset of so many hosting companies out there that tries to trick people like me by using fancy words for something I already know about and realize later what a fool i was.

but sure, i'd try it out, IF they would tell me what the dedicated memory and cpu im getting in that virtual container.

otherwise, it's hostgator on VPS,if not worse
      0 Not allowed!

Nobody's trying to fool you. You're just not very good at reading and comprehending what you're told and what's quite clearly written on the Crucial website.

You misunderstood the description -- it's your own fault. Suck it up and move on.

If you still can't work out why the way Crucial and Media Layer operate is a good idea despite all the explanations on this forum and on their own websites, perhaps you're better off just not trying to understand it. We'll all be breathless by the time you do.
    Last edited by Ryan Williams; 01-08-2008 at 11:23 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

i am just upset of so many hosting companies out there that tries to trick people like me by using fancy words for something I already know about and realize later what a fool i was.

but sure, i'd try it out, IF they would tell me what the dedicated memory and cpu im getting in that virtual container.

Each VE is given 2x the amount it uses during the busiest time of the day prior.

Each VE can scale using all available low memory that is not currently in use on the hardware node.

CPU is Not Limited per VE.

Each VE is given equal cpu time across dual quad core 2.5GHz Harpertons - See my signature.

Please let me know if you have other specific questions.

Kind regards,

0 Not allowed!

You're upset of so many hosting companies trying to trick people, so you're taking out your anger on Crucial Web Host? This does a disservice to others who are reading your posts and getting the wrong impression.

I think you should give Crucial Web Host's solution a try, seriously. Report back to WHT with your findings They have a very cool setup and I'm sure you will be happy.

Just because they're using virtualization does not say anything about the performance their solution delivers. The hardware powering their VPSes is extremely high end so depending on how many VPSes are placed on each system (which keep in mind, probably is not very many, given the license fees associated with Virtuozzo, cPanel, etc.) I would guess that a VPS would be equivalent to a mid-range dedicated server. So, you've quite a small number of clients on a mid-range dedicated server--that sounds like a pretty good setup to me. With the flexibility that virtualization offers, it gets even better. As I've said, don't be so quick to discount their solution just because it's a VPS, take a moment and try to understand the benefits it brings.
      0 Not allowed!

Crucial,

Thanks for the reply.

However, you still haven't told me the exact dedicated memory each of the VPS is allocated with.

Please confirm.
      0 Not allowed!

I'd expect to get $25 worth.

Have they refused to tell you this? I still think it's a reasonable pre-sales question, although they obviously prefer not to have it discussed publicly (and after what you've said here, they may not want to discuss it privately with you, either!).

Ultimately though there are so many other factors affecting performance that the only way to find out for sure would be to try them.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter
      0 Not allowed!

I'm sorry Beautyher, Our system does not work like that.

It changes as the need for memory changes.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast