Conflicting Web Scripts, anyway to host them both at the same time?

Ok, I have a forum hosting script that generates a forum for you when you sign up. It NEEDS to be in the public_html directory, its one of the requirements of the scripts and it will not work without it so it must be there, and thats the basis of my whole site. However, the CMS they include with the forum hosting script is very bad, and it would take A LOT of work to get my current website design to fit to this forum hosting script.

I want to install joomla, a CMS my website template is made for. I want it so that when users go to my website they see the joomla page instead of the crappy forum hosting script's webpage. I will just use a wrapper and wrap the forum hosting signup page into joomla.

However, the files conflict such as folders and configuration files, so I can't put them both in the same directory and I really don't feel like making a subdomain for joomla or putting it in another folder as I know that is bad for SEO.

Is there anyway to make the joomla site hosted in another folder and then appear on the frontpage when someone goes to www.mydomain.com

Like a .htaccess command or anything?

anyone have any idea?

I forgot to add im using whm/cpanel on CentOS 4 using Apache 2.

I would always run Joomla (or any other CMS) in a subdirectory - it's more flexible, allows you to merge content from different apps and makes for easy updates.

Just to send all requests for a particular domain name into a joomla subdirectory, something like this should work:
    Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#  Send request to the joomla subdir
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} yourdomain.com
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/joomla/
    RewriteRule (.*) joomla/$1 [QSA,L]
    HTH
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter