New build not starting

I just put together a new system, which won't power up. I haven't built a system in a while, and I just want to make sure I did not miss something obvious before I RMA the motherboard.

Here is what I did:

Installed 2 Sticks DDR2 to motherboard
    Installed Core 2 Quad to motherboard
    Installed CPU fan. Attached fan cable to motherboard
    Mount motherboard + hard drive + CD-ROM to chassis
    Connected 24pin + 4pin CPU to motherboard
    Connected power to CDROM + hard drive.
    Connected SATA to Hard drive.
    Connected IDE to CDROM.

When I plug it in and try to turn it on, nothing happens. I have tried two power supplies, and two different power switches, as well as no power switch (some systems turn on when power is applied without a switch installed).

Am I missing something?

You connected the "POWER SW" from the case to the motherboard I assume? Do you get a green LED light on the motherboard when the power supply is on? Some new motherboards include that to let you know the motherboard is getting power.

Also, try to bare-bones the setup by unplugging the CDROM, hard drives, and any other devices. You don't need any to make the machine turn on, and it might help you find a loose cable.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Make certain that none of the case standoffs are shorting out the board.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

No system will just magically turn on when power starts flowing. You probably have the switches incorrectly connected to the motherboard if you aren't even getting an initial fan whir.

Try taking a metal screwdriver and placing it between the jumpers on the power_sw panel. Twist so that they are conducting through the screwdriver and it should start (don't twist too hard!)

What motherboard is it? We can point out the jumpers from a manual image if you provide the necessary information - it seems like you were intentionally vague by not including ANY model information.

Some motherboard have a little LED on just to say there is power flowing. IS there anything like that on yours? What about trying just one of the DIMMS on their own?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Uhhhh. I see no mention of what type of board which means it may not have on-board video.You got a video card for it? Or does it have on-board? No video no boot!
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
    You connected the "POWER SW" from the case to the motherboard I assume? Do you get a green LED light on the motherboard when the power supply is on? Some new motherboards include that to let you know the motherboard is getting power.

Also, try to bare-bones the setup by unplugging the CDROM, hard drives, and any other devices. You don't need any to make the machine turn on, and it might help you find a loose cable.
    Heh yea I connected the power switch. This motherboard does not appear to have an LED. I tried unplugging the hard drive and cdrom drive but still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by trau View Post
    Make certain that none of the case standoffs are shorting out the board.
    How could I test this?

Quote Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon View Post
    Try taking a metal screwdriver and placing it between the jumpers on the power_sw panel. Twist so that they are conducting through the screwdriver and it should start (don't twist too hard!)

What motherboard is it? We can point out the jumpers from a manual image if you provide the necessary information - it seems like you were intentionally vague by not including ANY model information.
    I tried shorting the power switch jumpers, but still nothing. I didn't think the mobo model would number, do I didn't include it. Its an MSI P6NGM-L.

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2 View Post
    What about trying just one of the DIMMS on their own?
    Aren't DDR mobos supposted to have a multiple of 2 memory sticks at a given time since they are dual channel?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick67 View Post
    Uhhhh. I see no mention of what type of board which means it may not have on-board video.You got a video card for it? Or does it have on-board? No video no boot!
    It has an onboard GeForce 7050.

Quote Originally Posted by DanCF View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!
    Aren't DDR mobos supposted to have a multiple of 2 memory sticks at a given time since they are dual channel?
    It'll work just fine with one.
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

Not powering up

Seems like you have tried almost everything. Is the case compatiable with that motherboard, because it seems to be something to do with the switch..Is the power switch called something else on this motherboard..?

I ended up RMAing the board, and the system is working now well.