Question Notifications for downtime

I am wondering about a "standard" in the shared hosting industry. My issue is this: If the server my site is hosted on goes down, do I get notified? My current host, H9, says they cannot notify if the shared server goes down because they would be blacklisted.

I would like to know what your hosts do in the event of downtime. Please be specific if you can, email, text, phone call, nothing, forum post.. etc..

Thanks!

That depends upon the policy of the host. Normally, they will send an email or will post it in the news section in the forum if they have an active forum.
    But as I said, it will depends on the hosts's policy.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

They have a point in regards to getting blacklisted. If they have hundreds or even thousands of customers hosted on their servers, and should a server go offline, they'd have to send out those numbers of email all at one time.

For the shared environment, you're supposed to monitor your own site(s).

What I suggest to you is getting a service monitoring system such as Pingdom. It ping monitors the server as well as its services (httpd/apache, email etc).
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan View Post
    They have a point in regards to getting blacklisted. If they have hundreds or even thousands of customers hosted on their servers, and should a server go offline, they'd have to send out those numbers of email all at one time.

For the shared environment, you're supposed to monitor your own site(s).

What I suggest to you is getting a service monitoring system such as Pingdom. It ping monitors the server as well as its services (httpd/apache, email etc).

May be, if they have a forum, they can blast it there. But again, it will be your responsibility to check the forum to see if there is any news or scheduled maintenances.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    May be, if they have a forum, they can blast it there. But again, it will be your responsibility to check the forum to see if there is any news or scheduled maintenances.
    Yes, if there's an unscheduled outage, generally there is some type of forum or news or "announcements page" where you can keep up to date and many hosts post a server status page as well, so you can see if your server is down. If it's some type of scheduled outage (hardware replacement. maintenance etc.) hopefully they proactively notify you so you can be prepared.
    Cpanel Hosting - Fast , Reliable, Stable, Secure - Since 1996
    CPanel/WHM Fantastico RVSkin Dual Quad Core Servers Raid 10 24x7 Toll-Free Phone Support

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    I agree. Besides, checking the forum isn't so difficult. You also can subscribe for the thread, where such notifications are posted. In that way you'll get information about server status by mail without the risk for hoster to be blacklisted (I don't think that all clients hosted on the server will subscribe for this thread).
    FastNext - shared, reseller, clustered hosting, VPS, dedicated servers.

Free DNS Stuff - IP tools, DNS checking tools, ping, tracerout etc.