Most Expensive DSL connection in the world

You think your broadband provider is expensive, try $3,355 per month for a 1.5Mbps DSL connection. Welcome to the internet in Kazakhstan. With DSL prices like these, it's no wonder Borat left Kazakhstan behind! A new report from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (PDF) paints a grim picture of Internet access in Kazakhstan and shows how difficult life can be for those in poor and authoritarian countries who want to join the worldwide community of Internet users.

Consider the prices for Internet access, for one. Most users (and only four percent of the country even has access) hook up through state-owned Kazakhtelecom, a company not concerned with competitive pricing for its services. An unlimited dial-up plan costs about 82 ($111) in a country where the average monthly wage is 292 ($399). As for DSL, an unlimited 1.5Mbps connection costs 2,458 ($3,355) a month, and doesn't even included the required ADSL modem. Want a 6Mbps cable connection? It'll cost you, to the tune of 16,144 ($22,032) a month. As the OSCE report drily notes, this is more than a thousand times the price of such a connection in Western Europe.

Just consider yourself lucky to even have an internet connection. So the next time you want to go cribbing all over the place at how expensive YOUR ISP is, think again

my isp is much more expensive then that isp (Only on Business planes)
    check the price list
    Business Internet:
    Installation Charges : $1066
    Monthly Rental Charges for 2 Mbps: $6280
    That if someone wants to run his own blog he would forget the idea due to this price
    Last edited by FrX_; 01-08-2008 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrX_ View Post
    my isp is much more expensive then that isp (Only on Business planes)
    check the price list
    Business Internet:
    Installation Charges : $1066
    Monthly Rental Charges for 2 Mbps: $6280
    That if someone wants to run his own blog he would forget the idea due to this price
    what country are you from?

Prices for india:
    Prices are per month!
    Uptime guarantee: 96%

2 mbps (E1) $3,750
    45 mbps (DS3) $73,125
    STM1 $171,155

Well Kazakhstan doesn't have a government that spends millions on a broadband infrastructure that of course you will pay absurd amounts for even a dial up connection, and without the competition you will pay even higher, then again look who we are talking about. But hey there is always Satellite internet for that!

What the hell is going on...
    I am in the UK and get 8mb/s unlimited for 9.99 a month (GBP) About $20
    What the hell is going on in these other places?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubloon View Post
    What the hell is going on...
    I am in the UK and get 8mb/s unlimited for 9.99 a month (GBP) About $20
    What the hell is going on in these other places?!
    no other companies offering internet services which makes it cost more... thats one solution.

poor cable infulstructure as mentioned above thats another solution.

its the same in this country if you live in the middle of no where you can have broadband but at a very high cost.

its like me wanting fibre, i can have it but itll cost me approximately 30,000 a month if not more for a 8gb up and down line. where as ive i wait a a fair fair fair fair few years im sure their be some sort of fibre going on soon enough.

Well, 2nd and 3rd world countries still lack behind in internet connectivity..!!
    an 8mbps connection would cost close to $800/month for residential use in india!
    i use 512kbps for $50/mo

i get good prices but screwed over by my router and isp, they love to put blame on each other and love even more to play ping pong with ym on the phone "yea its their fault call them" ..."no no no, it's THEIR fault call them back"

so annoyed i will be switching to cable soon, cant take this...get 1000 ping sometimes.... d/l at like 512kbs.... suppose to have 2mb up and down load...
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

A 512Kbps connection in India (from Airtel) costs around $42/month and I get consistent download speeds of over 512Kbps from that connection. But somehow cost of a 2Mbps unlimited DSL connection is about $420 after including service tax. These prices include cost of landline phone too. How can telcos charge 10 times for a 2Mbps connection compared with the cost of a 512Kbps connection is beyond my comprehension. There is some serious problem with their business plans. These same telcos are adding 5-8 million new cellphone users every month, so they must be having some pretty smart marketing people working for them. Why can't they see this?

My solution to this problem is that I have taken a bunch of 512Kbps unlimited connections for use in my office. Needless to say that this solution is a bit costly to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by viratshah View Post
    Well, 2nd and 3rd world countries still lack behind in internet connectivity..!!
    an 8mbps connection would cost close to $800/month for residential use in india!
    i use 512kbps for $50/mo
    I think its for unlimited plan. An ordinary would cost you lesser than it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biju View Post
    I think its for unlimited plan. An ordinary would cost you lesser than it.
    alright,
    how about this latest thing they've come up with:

8mbps burstable speed...3 GB datatransfer limit
    $100/month...!!
    CAN YOU BEAT THAT..!!

paying 500 Yen/month here (approx. $4.5/mo), for 100Mbps fiber-optic connection
    Closed for winter...

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post
    paying 500 Yen/month here (approx. $4.5/mo), for 100Mbps fiber-optic connection
    What is the actual download speed on that 100Mbps connection? I mean what is the contention ratio? I guess it is at least 1:20 or so.

I am just wondering because here I get consistent 512Kbps or 2Mbps download speeds on the respective connections. So I get exactly what I pay for although it is extremely costly.

That would feel like your sitting at a datacenter...imagine the possibilities.
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

Without knowing the laws involved, someone could get one of those 1.5mbps connections and resell the connection @ 100 a month to 32-64 users. The speed wouldn't be great but would be decent depending on the number of users online at any given time.

Yes, $4.5 for a broadband connection is as good as free even if the download speeds are a bit less than 100Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by iThink View Post
    There is some serious problem with their business plans.
    In a country with such a huge market their business plans are indeed flawed.

I remember the early years of mobile phone era when they charged Rs.18 per call and a handset costed Rs.40,000

And imagine I used to spend Rs 5000 per month on 56k dial up access before cheap broadband was introduced. lol

It is truly a crazy world
    I'd never imagine overselling could come to a point where a 100mbit connection would cost you $4.5:|

Now that we know the rock bottom wholesale price in Kazakhstan. Now someone needs to find a reseller ISP over there selling unlimited bandwidth for $4.95 a year. There has to be some

Wow that is expensive i still think that Australia Cable is expensive and crap
    this is from the main provider

Speed: 30Mbps (download)/1000kbps
    Usage Allowance: 60GB

Monthly Price: $129.95
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Dedihosting View Post

Well, that isn't so bad
    You just pay a little more than $2 per GB

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Dedihosting View Post

This is not a bad deal at all considering that I pay about $170 for four 512Kbps unlimited connections in my office. In total we use about 50GB bandwidth per month on all 4 lines combined.

I get 24mbit (can almost always actually get up to about 20mbit) for 18 (~$36)/month.

The thing I am waiting for is BT (the main telephone company over here) is going to be rolling out "Fibre to the curb" over the next few years - meaning goodbye to the crappy old copper phone lines and hello to even faster broadband

Quote Originally Posted by iThink View Post
    A 512Kbps connection in India (from Airtel) costs around $42/month and I get consistent download speeds of over 512Kbps from that connection. But somehow cost of a 2Mbps unlimited DSL connection is about $420 after including service tax. These prices include cost of landline phone too. How can telcos charge 10 times for a 2Mbps connection compared with the cost of a 512Kbps connection is beyond my comprehension. There is some serious problem with their business plans. These same telcos are adding 5-8 million new cellphone users every month, so they must be having some pretty smart marketing people working for them. Why can't they see this?

My solution to this problem is that I have taken a bunch of 512Kbps unlimited connections for use in my office. Needless to say that this solution is a bit costly to maintain.

Airtel will soon offer 'speed on demand' plans. It will allow you select higher speeds whenever you want and you will be billed as per usage in addition to your regular cost.

It is already launched in some cities: http://www.airtel.in/level2_t3.aspx?path=1/9/158
    Last edited by RajanUrs; 01-10-2008 at 08:05 AM.