UNIX Filesystem Etymology

Isn't this how all college students spend winter break?

I wonder about where some of the names used in traditional UNIX (or Linux) filesystems come from...

For example, /bin is obviously binaries.

I assume /usr is "user" created (versus standard on the install), although really only /usr/local/* and /usr/bin/local/* are non-standard these days.

/etc probably got its start as "etcetera" and has since evolved to be where all the config files live.

/tmp and /home are pretty obvious.

But what about...
    /var -- variable? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though

/opt -- this is the one that I can't even guess. Where did /opt come from, and what does it mean? I don't even understand why some programs insist on using /opt instead of installing themselves normally.

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Quote Originally Posted by fog View Post
    Isn't this how all college students spend winter break?

I wonder about where some of the names used in traditional UNIX (or Linux) filesystems come from...

For example, /bin is obviously binaries.

I assume /usr is "user" created (versus standard on the install), although really only /usr/local/* and /usr/bin/local/* are non-standard these days.

/etc probably got its start as "etcetera" and has since evolved to be where all the config files live.

/tmp and /home are pretty obvious.

But what about...
    /var -- variable? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though

/opt -- this is the one that I can't even guess. Where did /opt come from, and what does it mean? I don't even understand why some programs insist on using /opt instead of installing themselves normally.
    The first Pay-As-You-Go Backup Service.
    Unlimited Storage, Unlimited Repositories, Unlimited Users, WebSVN.
    No Registration! Instant Setup! PayPal.
    Unlimited Hosted Subversion www.8svn.com