Which server specs to choose?

Hello,

I've already asked this question, but maybe because it was an off-topic no one answered.

I want to rent a server from VolumeDrive. But I have no idea what kind of server I should get. I need your guys help with this. I run websites that offers free polls, free form processors and free message boards for webmasters. In the future I plan on offering free online photo albums. Until now I have kept a very low profile for my sites. You can see my Awstats below. The traffic for the months April and May are not representative for my site, this was a one time thing. But I sure hope to be able to get this amount of traffic every month in the future. Which server and which specs should I get from VolumeDrive? I was thinking about getting the Intel Celeron with 512 MB Ram. Please advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stats.GIF  
    Last edited by DeNasio; 01-07-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    <<I don't need no stinking rules for signature setup!>>

Have you considered going VPS?
    Josh Ewin, Managing Editor
    Web Hosting Madness

Quote Originally Posted by fortressjosh View Post
    Have you considered going VPS?
    I had a VPS with JagPC, but in May (see my stats) I was told that I was using too many resources and that I should get my own server.

No one????????????

A Celeron is a very slow processor.

You should consider a Core 2 with at least something around 2GB or more of RAM. The more RAM you get, the more caching you can do.

You should also get a RAID array, and depending on the MySQL load, maybe you should even consider faster drives.

In a business that is always growing, one way to evaluate your needs is to project your growth.
    If you get the server you need now for what you have now and the business grows you will have to upgrade to a faster and bigger server possibly within six months, which would be a whole other challenge and potential headache.
    You may be better off with looking into a server that will allow you to upgrade the HDs, add more RAM, increase port, BW, etc... this way you can be in the same server for a while. The Celeron with 512MB of RAM may serve your needs now, what about in 6 months?
    IMO, look towards a Xeon processor and 2HDs for RAID and a server that will allow you to add more RAM as needed. Also a provider with flexible BW rates to help with your cost.
    I wish you luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Sago-Sean View Post
    In a business that is always growing, one way to evaluate your needs is to project your growth.
    If you get the server you need now for what you have now and the business grows you will have to upgrade to a faster and bigger server possibly within six months, which would be a whole other challenge and potential headache.
    You may be better off with looking into a server that will allow you to upgrade the HDs, add more RAM, increase port, BW, etc... this way you can be in the same server for a while. The Celeron with 512MB of RAM may serve your needs now, what about in 6 months?
    IMO, look towards a Xeon processor and 2HDs for RAID and a server that will allow you to add more RAM as needed. Also a provider with flexible BW rates to help with your cost.
    I wish you luck in your search.
    I understand what you are saying Sago-Sean. But my budget is very limited, approx $110 per month, and this is with CPanel and server management by PSM!! I was planning on starting with a small and simple server, and if my project grows, so will my earnings from the sites, and then I will be able to afford a much better server. Is this a bad idea?

I honestly would suggest maybe searching for a different VPS company then. There are plenty of VPS companies that would most likely take you in with only that much bandwidth being used.

I guess my next question though is what kind of content does your site contain? If its load bearing php scripts, or other dynamic content, I can sort of see why they'd tap you on the shoulder, but they should also be prepared for those customers who will be using the full amount of their quota on their vps, and not just assume they will not make use of it at all.
    Ryan G.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I honestly would suggest maybe searching for a different VPS company then. There are plenty of VPS companies that would most likely take you in with only that much bandwidth being used.
    I don't want to ever be tapped on the shoulder again by a webhost regarding my CPU usage. That's why I want my own server. Are you saying that the server that I want to choose is a bad choice for my service?

I guess my next question though is what kind of content does your site contain? If its load bearing php scripts, or other dynamic content, I can sort of see why they'd tap you on the shoulder, but they should also be prepared for those customers who will be using the full amount of their quota on their vps, and not just assume they will not make use of it at all.
    They are load bearing php scripts.

Not at all. I am just trying to say that there may be ways you can stick inside a VPS, as its always better to spend what you need to and not spend more than you have to.

Do you by chance use cPanel on your vps?
    Ryan G.

Not at all. I am just trying to say that there may be ways you can stick inside a VPS, as its always better to spend what you need to and not spend more than you have to.

Do you by chance use cPanel on your vps?
    Actually I don't have a VPS at JagPC anymore. After they tapped me on the shoulder (= closed down my sites) I had to write to my "high traffic" members asking them to remove my poll code from their site! Do you know how embarrassing this is for your service? After the "high traffic" members removed my poll code from their site, I downgraded my VPS to a SDX because there was little traffic left. I promised myself that I would never allow this to happen again and decided to get my own server. And yes, I had CPanel on the VPS.