Which CPU / Setup to go with? For intense DB

We need a setup for an intense read/write database mysql. I got a few questions.

1. Is SA-SCI vs 15k SCSI which is better?

Also should i go
    Dual Intel Woodcrest 5148

or

Dual Intel Woodcrest 5160?

Quote Originally Posted by vexious View Post
    We need a setup for an intense read/write database mysql. I got a few questions.

1. Is SA-SCI vs 15k SCSI which is better?

Also should i go
    Dual Intel Woodcrest 5148

or

Dual Intel Woodcrest 5160?
    I am unfamiliar with "SA-SCI". You'll need to elaborate that one. Do you mean SAS vs SCSI? If so, that's less important than the number of disks, their speed, and what RAID configurations they are (if comparing multiple options). A best-case would be some sort of 4, 6, 8+ (the more the merrier, must be divisible by 2 for RAID10 with a minimum of 4 drives) disk RAID10 with 15k RPM drives.

If its a truly intense DB, I'd suggest going with the 5160 over the 5148.

In a raid 10 setup is the load automatically balanced between hard drives?

Yes, as the files are striped across them all. There is no actual 'balancing' of load, that's handled by its very nature - the 'load' will be identical for all the drives in the array. As far as you're concerned, its just one very fast hard drive.

Which would be better than:
    8x36gb 10k 2.5" sas drives in raid 10
    2x 146gb 15k scsi drives, raid 1

8x36gb is way better. Raid 1 will actually be slower for writes then a single disk, although faster for reads, and is meant mainly for redundancy rather than performance.

Raid 10 is meant for performance and redundancy, and will be much faster reads and writes with 8 drives.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami