Brand new and need advice!

I have been using the "ready made" forum hosting sites for 4 years and am looking into buying vBulletin or using another good message board software and will be looking for a shared web hosting service. Until my original forum crashed, I had about 1100 members. At any given time, there were only 6-12 people on and maybe 50 or so consistently active. I am tired of paying these sites by "page views" What they considered a 1 year subscription would last 3 months. My new site has 150 members or so and we are at about 35000+ page views a month already.

I don't mind paying for quality and $15-$20 a month is not out of the question. I don't use a ton of resources now, but I don't want to be watching our every click either. I have heard good things about real web host and host monster?

Thanks
    Steve

Finding a host for $15-$20 shouldn't be a problem. For that amount, you should be able to find a plan that fits your needs. :-)

I havn't heard anything about the host you mentioned, but might be able to do a search on here to find out more about them. Good luck!
    Digital DynamiX - http://digitaldx.com
    Fast and Reliable Web Hosting
    It's your digital world, we just host it

Welcome to WebHostingTalk

For what you're telling us, you shouldn't have any problem hosting your site in any shared environment
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi Steve, I think you should be good to go with any number of web hosts out there. When shopping around you might ask them specifically if they have had any issues in the past with installs of vBulletin (or any other specific script you know you want). Hope that helps some!

Sorry for being lazy. There is a plethora of help on the subject around here and I have been digging into it this morning. The problem I have is I tend to research something to death! It takes me 3 weeks to decide on what glue I should use for a project.

After reading many posts, I believe I know I could get by with 500MB disk space and no more than 5GB transfer. I am interested in rock solid service and not bells & whistles. I'm trying to avoid some Hungarian trapeze artist running a side business from his garage!

Ha

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo66 View Post
    I'm trying to avoid some Hungarian trapeze artist running a side business from his garage!
    Ha! you know Raul too?

I don't mind paying for quality and $15-$20 a month is not out of the question. I don't use a ton of resources now, but I don't want to be watching our every click either. I have heard good things about real web host and host monster?

as others did say your budget is fine for a good service, you should be able to find one in the offer section, i don't have experience with either named hosts but believe you may find several reviews of them here on WHT.

If you can run your site on the given diskspace and bandwidth i am sure you will find a rock solid host to host your forums! If you are looking for a forum you may want to check out phpbb3 as well, sure its free, but it got a lot improved over phpbb2.

Good luck with finding YOUR host.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Sorry for being lazy. There is a plethora of help on the subject around here and I have been digging into it this morning. The problem I have is I tend to research something to death! It takes me 3 weeks to decide on what glue I should use for a project.

After reading many posts, I believe I know I could get by with 500MB disk space and no more than 5GB transfer. I am interested in rock solid service and not bells & whistles. I'm trying to avoid some Hungarian trapeze artist running a side business from his garage!
    WHT is an excellent resource! Research is really good, and I'm glad that you are taking the time to research it thoroughly. We can only recommend hosts though, and all hosts might be good, but the best hosts are going to be the ones that fit you specifically. There's only the one that is right for you.

It doesn't sound like you'll have a problem finding a good host to fit you. Your specs are within reason, and you have an excellent budget. I would just recommend looking for a host that has a good upgrade path. That way, your hosting can grow as you grow.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    I would just recommend looking for a host that has a good upgrade path. That way, your hosting can grow as you grow.
    This is good advice. I would also make certain that your new host will work with you through usage spikes and such, rather than automatically suspending your account.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting