View Poll Results: How much are you willing to pay monthly? (USD)

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • < $10

10 14.08%
  • $10-20

28 39.44%
  • $20-40

17 23.94%
  • $40-60

6 8.45%
  • $60-80

1 1.41%
  • $80-100

0 0%
  • > $100

9 12.68%

How much are you willing to pay for quality?

How much are you willing to pay for high-quality shared hosting (that'll leave you free to worry about your websites instead of your hosting)?

I would have to say $10 to $20 at most.

20 to 40 if it's great hosting.
    hi there!

THe actual needs would determine the price. If you only need 10MB of disk space and 1GB of bandwidth I'd hope you could get what you need for less than $10. If you need 1TB of disk space and 5TB of bandwidth, then I'm hoping you have a budget of $100+ if you want some real quality.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    THe actual needs would determine the price. If you only need 10MB of disk space and 1GB of bandwidth I'd hope you could get what you need for less than $10. If you need 1TB of disk space and 5TB of bandwidth, then I'm hoping you have a budget of $100+ if you want some real quality.
    Thanks, I should have clarified that point. Let's assume that the space and bandwidth requirements are not important -- any reasonably sized plan would do. I mainly wanted to see how important quality is to customers through how much they would pay for it.

It depends what's on offer (number of domains, disk space, reselling etc) but if you're talking about a basic account for 2 or 3 domains, $10.

That seems really cheap to me for what I'm getting but I find I can get great quality for this price. If I had to pay more I would, but it seems I don't have to.

Edit: Just to clarify the point: What people are willing to pay is also determined by the market price...
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

There are too many unmentioned variables. How large are the hosting plans, how much traffic do you get, what interfaces and languages and frameworks do you perhaps need access to. What should it include, at a minimum or maximum? People can't really answer the questions or vote accurately until there are more details provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Greer View Post
    There are too many unmentioned variables. How large are the hosting plans, how much traffic do you get, what interfaces and languages and frameworks do you perhaps need access to. What should it include, at a minimum or maximum? People can't really answer the questions or vote accurately until there are more details provided.
    Exactly. What do you need the web hosting to do? This thread is a pointless barometer because there are no defined variables. In the end, you're still not getting anything substantial from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayan View Post
    I would have to say $10 to $20 at most.
    To clarify, I would pay that much for 500MB of space and 10GB of bandwidth.

Quality is hard to measure with 'money' tho.
    just like love is hard to measure with 'money' as well .

it really depends on what this company is willing to give. and how much profit he is willing to sacrifice.
    ResellerTemple.Com & CsIdea.US
    Marketing & Design & Programming for Competitive Price!

Perhaps I could have worded this question better. This question was directed at the user who doesn't have a clear view of how much space, bandwidth, other features, etc. he/she needs and simply just wants to host, for example, a blog that requires fast page loads, high uptime, fast support, etc. -- the usual characteristics of a high-quality web host. I'm looking to understand how much these users will generally be willing to pay for such a service. I apologize if the initial question was too vague.

Low end of $20-40, my reasoning is that I am paying that for one of my sites and am very happy with it.

Around $10-20 depending on a variety of things, like what I'm getting, space, bandwidth etc.. but $10-20..

i would be happy to pay a premium of $25-40 for good quality

I'd safely pay $20-40 if it met all my needs and was worth the buck

$10-20 for shared hosting, I wouldn't ever pass $15 for shared hosting, if I wanted shared hosting.
    Looking for Work level 1-3 Support Tech, Sales/billing tech, Odd management Jobs, and PHP/Mysql small jobs.
    PM me or drop me an email at mm(AT)gotannex(dot)com
    http://monitor.gotannex.com/

If we are talking about undersold resources with good support and almost 100% uptime I would pay $10/month for every:

1gb disk space, 50gb transfer, 4% CPU.

$3.98 for terabytes all around plus a level 3 tech i can stow away under my bed for when i, inevitably, need him.
    Last edited by db09; 01-07-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    How much are you willing to pay for high-quality shared hosting (that'll leave you free to worry about your websites instead of your hosting)?
    I wouldn't spend more than $20.00 a month.

I would pay $10/month for every:

1gb disk space, 50gb transfer, 4% CPU.
    100% of CPU would then be $250. Seems rather low for a whole server, given that the host must cover advertising, manage the server, support customers. Of course, the hardware could be lower end, but that's like stealing your own hat.

I pay 30 dollars a month at Medialayer and it doesn't bother me one bit. If they had a referral system I would be rich.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Patti View Post
    I pay 30 dollars a month at Medialayer and it doesn't bother me one bit. If they had a referral system I would be rich.. lol
    Luckily for you, a referral system is in the works.
    Last edited by Orien; 01-08-2008 at 01:20 AM.

I know I'm kinda sad about that though. I don't know many people who need hosting anymore since I referred them all lol.

LOL @Chris

To clarify my post above: I'd pay $20 - 40 for 2GB space and 50GB bandwidth without hesitation if the service is right and adequate.
    hi there!

Heh.

It'd be very sporting of Media Layer to allow retroactive referrals, where an existing customer can state who referred them and the referrer get the appropriate credit. After all, that customer worked to bring Media Layer new business.

We have clients happily paying us $100-$250 per month for shared hosting with less than 1 GB of space and less than 50 GB of transfers.

People will pay what they feel a service is worth, regardless of the "specs" offered.

- John C.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    Heh.

It'd be very sporting of Media Layer to allow retroactive referrals, where an existing customer can state who referred them and the referrer get the appropriate credit. After all, that customer worked to bring Media Layer new business.
    Agreed (I didn't just refer someone to medialayer >_>)

Back to the subject at hand though, I happily pay up to around $50/month if the quality is high. I tend to pay more than most people as I'm frightened to death of being hit by Digg or something overnight (it's happened before), which sends bandwidth through the roof. However, I also place high value on dynamic page execution and the stability of said execution.

Support is in fact one of my lesser concerns as it's very rarely I need it, so paying through the nose for that isn't on my list.

The bandwidth thing is kind of what stops me going with companies like Media Layer. While I'm fully aware I'd hardly ever use more than 50GB, I know that if I did get Dugg again I'd be slammed by overage charges. I think this is a mentality companies like Crucial prey on, with their customers also using little resources generally but liking the comfort zone.

I lack huge funds, but honestly I'd say $15-35 /month for shared hosting at a reasonable price.

That would mean somewhere around 1gb-5gb disk space, and 10gb-25gb bandwidth, but excellent speeds (server and support) and service.

----

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley View Post
    We have clients happily paying us $100-$250 per month for shared hosting with less than 1 GB of space and less than 50 GB of transfers.

People will pay what they feel a service is worth, regardless of the "specs" offered.

- John C.

Seriously? Thats very stupid of them, I'd have to say. Service is service, but if rackspace offered semi-dedicated hosting, it would cost about that much... Shared hosting isn't worth more than a mid to high end VPS.
    Last edited by Paul-M; 01-08-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelhost - Paul View Post
    Seriously? Thats very stupid of them, I'd have to say. Service is service, but if rackspace offered semi-dedicated hosting, it would cost about that much... Shared hosting isn't worth more than a mid to high end VPS.
    I guess we have lots of stupid clients then...

Or maybe our clients are discerning businesses that recognize that serious e-commerce requires more than what I pay to watch tv each month.

- John C.

I don't use that much and I am on the dx plan @ medialayer already and don't even push it at all so mine would fall in at about $10-12 absolute max to be honest. Over that might as well just get a business line and run a server since I don't have much traffic at one time and no large downloads and I have my server already that I play around with.

I guess we have lots of stupid clients then...
    Stupid or not, they're quite likely making lots of money off their sites, or by some other means. If one earns $100 per hour, one is willing to pay a lot more for a very good ice cream, than some person earning $20, and the person earning $20 might never be willing to pay $200 for an ice cream, even if it is the best ice cream a human can make.

How many non-business sites are you hosting JohnC, in %?
    Last edited by ldcdc; 01-09-2008 at 02:11 AM.

I guess to be honest, I would have to tally up what I would loose if one of my servers went dead. Not simply an arbitrary number... that is the real cost I am willing to pay for quality.

One has to take into account the loss of services and sales, but also what it does to one's brand image.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Stupid or not, they're quite likely making lots of money off their sites, or by some other means. If one earns $100 per hour, one is willing to pay a lot more for a very good ice cream, than some person earning $20, and the person earning $20 might never be willing to pay $200 for an ice cream, even if it is the best ice cream a human can make.

How many non-business sites are you hosting JohnC, in %?
    Exactly. This question is also dependent on what is being hosted. If it is a serious e-commerce site, and the business depends on its uptime and performance, you can bet they'll gladly spend well over a hundred even for very small fractions of server resources, if they can guarantee performance and customer service. Some businesses lose a lot of money even if their site goes down for small intervals.

On the other hand, if it's a hobby site that isn't generating any income and doesn't take significant space, obviously people aren't going to pay as much. The "how much are you willing to pay for quality" is a very vague and open ended question. Quality for what, exactly?

I'm ready to pay more than $100 per quality.

I would pay a $1 for shared hosting. Because they are worth that only.

$60 at most, if I was a consumer.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Less than $10. I think Quality does not need price. It depends upon the service and uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by Biju View Post
    Less than $10. I think Quality does not need price. It depends upon the service and uptime.
    Okay, and I suppose service and uptime are free or cost pennies? When you hire a real staff 24/7, get a real network, get real servers and run expensive software with all the proper tools for monitoring, disaster recovery & redundancy you'll realise that $10 won't even cover a fragment of the cost.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

I love the way people expect the world (gold plated and on a stick)for next to nothing.

<$10 for quality - lol - maybe some can provide dependable hosting at that price but the customer who wants that isn't the kind of customer I want to attract. Demographically it's targeting the folk I'd rather someone else dealt with!