Question Domain DNS setup, stuck!

Hi,
    I haven't done this before so if you could point me in the right direction then that would be great.
    I have full DNS control over a domain, I would like to do the following:
    Have the domain pointed to a server, domain will use ftp, http etc everything apart from the mail.

I then need to point the mail side to my ISP's email address ([email protected]), and then if possible a backup just in case the [email protected] fails.

Can this be done, if so which A records do I need to add and MX records etc?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.

From what I read from your above request, do you have the rights to point MX record to your ISP? If you don't have, what you can only do it to forward the emails

I think your ISP provider have cluster of mail server so I don't it is easy for their cluster to go down
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

Excel Hosting UK.

You need to use ISP mail server for your domain right? You will need to modify the MX inside the dns zone as follows.
    Remove the current MX line and add these lines. First you need to collect the ISP MX IP.

Code:
    domain.com.    IN MX 0 mail.domain.com.
    mail  IN A isp_mx_IP
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Quote Originally Posted by Excel Hosting UK View Post
    I then need to point the mail side to my ISP's email address ([email protected]), and then if possible a backup just in case the [email protected] fails.
    If you're using something like Google apps then you can set up your domain with them and just point the MX records (follow their instructions).

But if it's a regular ISP mail account, you can't forward [email protected] to [email protected] using the MX record alone, because your ISP will not be set up to handle mail sent to yourdomain.com. If you're forwarding mail to a mailserver that doesn't host your domain you'll still need your own mailserver to accept the mail and then forward it to the new address. Hint: use a forwarder!
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Could I forward emails using an MX record?

I've just sorted the above out, now using google apps.
    Anyone else using the google apps mail service, they have given me 5 mx records, so I take it they are running cluster servers.
    Anyone know how reliable they are?

Thanks,