What should I expect from a VPS package?

My current hosting provider has changed how they operate about a year ago (they have outsourced support to -their- provider, since then their support has been less than stellar) and I am in need of something new.

My sites (3 reasonably sized ones and several smaller) have grown steadily and it is time to move onto something other than shared hosting. Reading a ton of posts here in the forums, I've decided to go with PowerVPS. The package I would like to purchase contains:

64 bit Centos 5
    Equap Share CPU 512MB
    20GB space
    1000GB bandwidth

Now, on their site they say:

"A busy forum site with say 10,000 members and 700 users a day would probably need a dual 2.4Ghz server with at least 2GB of RAM, probably more. Whereas a site with one mailbox, one static html page and a user that rarely uses anything would need next to no resources so you could put hundreds on your VPS. You will probably find most sites fall somewhere in between."

My site(s) forums -together- receive about 1500 visitors per day (the main site doesn't have a forum, receives many more visitors than the forum sites combined, but has dynamic content: hookedgamers.com). One of the forums will likely become very busy in a few months and I would not be surprised if it will be handling 5000+ visitors a day.

The (quick) response from PowerVPS' salesteam when I asked about the above was:
    2. If you are expecting to run any kind of website that might have 5000 visitors, you will want to go with a plan like our CPanel Enterprise VPS, which can be found here (link). This should be able to handle the load, however if you are interested in going beyond the VPS route to a dedicated server that would without question be able to handle this load, you can also look at (link), all of which would be able to handle the load that you specified. Please let us know if you have anymore questions about this!I am no server expert but... there are a ton of forums out there that run on single forum and have tens of thousands of visitors a day. So the above doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.

What should I expect from the VPS package that I'm interested in? How many daily visitors (loading dynamic content) should it be able to handle comfortably?

Advise will be greatly appreciated!

It varies a lot - you could have a website serving 5000 static web pages a day outperform a server serving 500 forum threads. It also depends what forum software you use, how well the VPS is tweaked to the needs of the applications you're using, if you're using any modifications to the forums and much more. If you need services such as mail (POP/IMAP, SMTP, antivirus, antispam) or DNS you can add to the resources you'll use.

I'd advise starting with a provider who allows you to upgrade/downgrade between packages instantly to ensure that if your needs are not met by your first choice, you can easily upgrade.

With a managed service your provider should be able to help tweak your VPS configuration (Apache, MySQL, etc.) to the needs of your forum software so that you are using resources optimally instead of wasting your money upgrading when you don't really need to.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS - UK Java & PHP Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnWaller View Post
    .... Please let us know if you have anymore questions about this![/I]I am no server expert but... there are a ton of forums out there that run on single forum and have tens of thousands of visitors a day. So the above doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.

What should I expect from the VPS package that I'm interested in? How many daily visitors (loading dynamic content) should it be able to handle comfortably?

Advise will be greatly appreciated!
    How sure are you that these huge forums are hosted on just a VPS/Dedicated server? FYI, many forums that receive heavy traffic are hosted on clustered dedicated servers, eg: 1 server serves http while another runs mySQL alone.

Anyway, the advantage of using VPS is that, you can upgrade from a smaller to bigger plan at no hassles. If you are not convinced to try PowerVPS's Enterprise VPS (I've heard great things about their Enterprise VPS from my friend, who is their beta user), you can always start with their standard VPS and move on to the Enterprise when you find your sites need more resources.

PowerVPS gives Virtuozzo to its clients. Just keep an eye on the QoS Alert and you'll know whether you need the upgrade

Thanks.

Mostly because I know they can't afford it.

But we have a couple of forums that at some point received that sort of amount of traffic on an oversold shared hosting machine that should have buckled under the load then...

Somehow this feels as a huge undertaking since that mail from PowerVPS. I was ready to buy but haven't followed up on it since.

*sigh*

Getting hosted was easier when we had 100 visitors a day hehe.