$2 to $3/month shared Web hosting?

Can anyone recommend any reliable, reputable, well capitalized and at least semi-well known shared Web hosting companies that offer hosting for between $2 and $3 per month?

It certainly seems possible now to operate within that pricing framework, given the cheap costs of hardware and bandwidth. I've found 1&1 Internet, apparently the world's largest Web hosting provider, which offers $3.99/mo. hosting for up to 10 domain names. Hagen Hosting has $3.95/mo. hosting. Any others?

I used to use PowWeb a couple years ago for hosting but then they were bought out and transferred clients to new servers. The transition was so disastrous, we were given six and then nine month credits of free hosting. And, this is back when it was $7.99/mo. for web hosting. PowWeb's billing and support system was very good but their technical competency was poor.

Cheers,
    Doug

Offers section my friend
    It's all about Client Support
    www.Hostlings.net - Shared and Reseller Hosting

(cPanel + Fantastico + WHM + all the bells and
    whistles)

Quote Originally Posted by dmehus View Post
    Can anyone recommend any reliable, reputable, well capitalized and at least semi-well known shared Web hosting companies that offer hosting for between $2 and $3 per month?
    Short answer, probably not.

I'll go ahead and beat the sig flashers to it -

What specs are you looking for (space/bandwidth/features) ?

Also, I personally look at the hosts who are all over every 'I need hosting' thread last. Are they truly helpful - or is it a thinly veiled opportunity to advertise their services?

Take that for what it's worth.
    Last edited by db09; 01-06-2008 at 03:09 AM.

No offence, but I wasn't really looking for a bunch of "fly by night" web hosts to begin hawking offers at me. I was just trying to get as unbiased reaction as I could from the forum community on any hosting companies they may have used & their opinions of them. I thought this was the best place.

In the Web Hosting Offers section, there are some pretty small web hosts. One, Host Penguin, uses a ".net" domain. Not a big deal, considering ".com" domains are in much shorter supply. What's funny is they seem to be copying HostGator's business model, right down to the company name and their hosting plans. On this page, they spell "Cheif Executive Officer" incorrectly. Not exactly a good indicator.

Also, it seems every web hosting company advertises themselves as "100% debt free". How accurate is that? Most companies have, at a minimum, short-term debt obligations.

Cheers,
    Doug

No offence, but I wasn't really looking for a bunch of "fly by night" web hosts to begin hawking offers at me. I was just trying to get as unbiased reaction as I could from the forum community on any hosting companies they may have used & their opinions of them. I thought this was the best place.

In the Web Hosting Offers section, there are some pretty small web hosts. One, Host Penguin, uses a ".net" domain. Not a big deal, considering ".com" domains are in much shorter supply. What's funny is they seem to be copying HostGator's business model, right down to the company name and their hosting plans. On this page, they spell "Cheif Executive Officer" incorrectly. Not exactly a good indicator.

Also, it seems every web hosting company advertises themselves as "100% debt free". How accurate is that? Most companies have, at a minimum, short-term debt obligations.

Cheers,
    Doug

You stated in your original post that costs "should" be as low as you expect. The problem with your thinking is that new technology constantly comes out, so economies of scale do not have a linear impact on this industry. Sure, when HD prices get cut in half hosting customers will see it, but other than 6-sigma events like that, everything else you see is marketing fog. You mentioned 1&1 - they offer a lot of bandwidth eh? Try storing some mp3's on there and see how long you last... What good is bandwidth and storage if you can't use it for what you want?

Be sure you scan a host's policies carefully, as they can offer 100s of GB of everything but limit you to storing html files and 50MB SQL databases. The big guys don't have access to anything the smaller players don't - except million-dollar marketing budgets.

Regards,

How much Space and Bandwidth are you looking for? We need to know that so we can point you to the right direction.

- Daniel

There are a few for less than $36/ year , some are not CPanel . I have been using them for only 3-4 months now after spending hours researching the companies.

Cheers,
    Doug
    comon ,every business starts from small. Host Penguin has been here for a while; I certainly don't think they are one of "fly by night" web hosts..
    Even hostgator starts from a small dorm room .
    I would say there are both strengths for big or small biz.
    ResellerTemple.Com & CsIdea.US
    Marketing & Design & Programming for Competitive Price!

You get what you pay for.

You might get very lucky to find a host thats cheap and provides good service, but at that price, don't count on it.

--> Offers Section

Cheers,
    Doug
    It's the WHT business model. Buy a dedicated server, put up a website (even better, use one of those nasty templates with a few servers in it) and post an offer on WHT.

Strategy, objectives and business plans never come into the equation.

Actually, the debt point is interesting too. I've been writing the text for our new website and included something along those lines. I guess the companies are trying to say (at least, we are) that aside from operating debt from every day creditors, they are financially stable.

I may rewrite it yet though
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

So, if my company has the name "Host" in it followed by an animal it means were copying them? You then talk about our plans copying HostGator business plan and to be honest with you I have not even looked at HostGators plans. HostPenguin plans are based on a way so that we can make profit and i've never seen a post about HostGator offering Virtual Private Servers but I guess in some weird way we copied that. I was contacted by a member on WHT last night about the typo on one of my pages; which i'm currently selling in the offer section. I contacted that user back in less than a minute but I guess "most" fly by host probably do that. The other question to being "100% Deft Free" is definitely possible with a simple equation "Revenue-Expenses = Profit". With that simple accounting equation we understand the fact that our expenses need to be less then our revenue.

So why did we choose the name HostPenguin?
    Its simply its easier to market with a more common name to remember.

So why did we not pick a .com instead we chose a .net?
    I understand the fact that a .com is in high demand and thats why we chose a .net. . The .com for our domain was not available to register and when it is open will register it. I was speaking with one of my clients two days ago and I was also telling him to register for a .com name instead of a .net name but who would imagine my company having clients
    Last edited by @Matt; 01-06-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Doug, I think you can get most of these items, but not all, from any one provider. You might need to eliminate one - pick which is least critical to you - and then I think you'll be on your way.
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!

Have you taken a look at Precision Effect? They've been around for a few years, offer steady plans and great support.

Though, they do not use cPanel if that is what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz_ View Post
    Have you taken a look at Precision Effect? They've been around for a few years, offer steady plans and great support.

Though, they do not use cPanel if that is what you're looking for.

That is twice his budget - even if he goes for the smallest plan.
    -Mr Bister

Cheers,
    Doug
    Most companies do have short term debt obligations, which is why a company that is debt free would be proud enough to advertise that fact. There's nothing suspicious about being debt-free.

--Tina

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    ... that aside from operating debt from every day creditors, they are financially stable.
    Not every host has creditors. We don't. We have server and colocation fees that we pay every month - but those are always paid one month in advance. I'm surprised that being debt free is such a strange concept.

--Tina
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 01-07-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: merged posts
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    Not every host has creditors. We don't. We have server and colocation fees that we pay every month - but those are always paid one month in advance. I'm surprised that being debt free is such a strange concept.

--Tina
    Do you pay bandwidth in advance? How do you know how much you've used in advance? Unless you're paying for a fixed connection....
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Do you pay bandwidth in advance? How do you know how much you've used in advance? Unless you're paying for a fixed connection....
    We pay for a fixed connection either per server or, in the case of our colo's, set at a cap.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Being debt-free is always the best way to be. And, to Matt at HostPenguin, I believe you may be confusing being debt-free with profitability. From the sounds of it, your revenues exceed your expenses and that means you are profitable. Great for you. I'm glad your business is successful. Do you have any short-term or long-term debt obligations though? For instance, a bank loan that your business pays interest + principal on every month? I would think most hosting companies have at least some debt - unless they're strictly a smaller scale business that leases dedicated or VPS servers and only pays for what they need, month to month.

I guess it's more the big guys, like Ampira, Aplus.Net, HostGator, and the like that I question if they're truly 100% debt-free. Even Apple, Inc., which several years ago paid down its debt, has short-term debt obligations on its balance sheet again.

Cheers,
    Doug

P.S. Matt, I didn't mean to insult you. I just meant that, at first blush, it appeared your business was copying HostGator in terms of company name and Web hosting plans. Your "Baby Chick" versus "Hatchling", etc. As far as the "fly by night", again it was probably incorrect. Nonetheless, first impressions mean a lot in the business world and your typos were glaring. My apologies, nonetheless.

Hostingpuppy has the buck-a-gig offer. They've been around for a while.
    Got Fused?

Quote Originally Posted by Siropel View Post
    Hostingpuppy has the buck-a-gig offer. They've been around for a while.

define "a while".

I've been using Dotable.com for a year and have found them to be very reliable. My site has had 99.96% uptime (no downtime since May '07). Their cheapest plan is about $3.65/mo at current exchange rates (they're Australian and bill in AUS$), so they're just above the $2-3 range. You have to pay for a year at a time also. Dotable is relatively new, but the founder, Aussie Bob, previously owned HTTPme.

A disadvantage for Americans is that they bill in AUS$. Their price has effectively gone up over the last year even though they haven't raised their prices.

In spite of my good experience with Dotable, I will probably switch to an even cheaper host because my site will go into a cryogenic state for at least the next year (that is, I'd like to keep it up, but I don't expect a significant number of visitors).
    Adam Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Try storing some mp3's on there and see how long you last...
    I've got about 3gb of video files on my 1&1 acct, used about 12gb of transfer so far this month (around 4 or 5 days into the billing period). I'm not trying to push the boundaries or anything, but I have been able to use my account for whatever I've actually needed with no troubles.

I have a couple of the $30/year accounts at arvixe.com that have been just fine.

cPanel and addon domains...can't remember the details. I have no idea what their performance would be for a heavy site, but for my modest needs (private forum, private gallery etc) they have been wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    Most companies do have short term debt obligations, which is why a company that is debt free would be proud enough to advertise that fact. There's nothing suspicious about being debt-free.

--Tina
    I'd have to agree with Tina on this one. A debt-free company *may* have better cash flow and as a result be more stable.
    Josh Ewin, Managing Editor
    Web Hosting Madness

Just thought of another one - asmallorange.com has a small $25(?) a year plan too.

I really don't understand why you place so much emphasis on the company being around awhile. I was with Jatol.com and they had been in business for quite some time...that is, up until the day they went poof. (I only had a few parked domains there anyway).

And for $25-$35 a year, there is no reason not to go with a smaller company where you won't get lost among the corporate clients.

define "a while".
    February 2007.

A quick whois of almost any host's domain will give you a pretty good idea how long they've been around.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting Puppy - Jon View Post
    February 2007.

A quick whois of almost any host's domain will give you a pretty good idea how long they've been around.

Jon
    Whois information is by no means accurate. All that says is when the domain was registered, which tells you nothing for certain.

I would also think "a while" is a few years. I had no idea this industry had such a high turnover that 11 months is considered tenured!

Whois information is by no means accurate. All that says is when the domain was registered, which tells you nothing for certain.
    I said "Pretty good idea" which it does.

I would also think "a while" is a few years. I had no idea this industry had such a high turnover that 11 months is considered tenured!
    Who said we're tenured?

Cheers,
    Doug
    Out of curiosity I took a look at the packages of HostGator and HostPenguin. The business models of the companies aren't even similar.

For example HostGator offers 350GB of disk space for $4.95 per month, HostPenguin offers 1.5GB of disk space for $7.99.

I'm not sure how these business models are similar.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

I said "Pretty good idea" which it does.
    But how good of an idea is it if someone purchases a domain that has been registered by someone else for 5 years? I wouldn't call that a good idea at all, and aside from the wayback machine there is little way to tell for sure.

Who said we're tenured?
    I jumped to that conclusion by the comment implying you guys have been around a while. Just the way I took it I guess.

Regards,

Yes, I agree that "whois" is a good place to start researching a prospective host. Also, a trip to the Internet Archive Wayback Machine can help clarify how the domain has been used since it was registered.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

But how good of an idea is it if someone purchases a domain that has been registered by someone else for 5 years? I wouldn't call that a good idea at all, and aside from the wayback machine there is little way to tell for sure.
    Regards,
    There are some situations where a domain has been registered MUCH longer than the host, but those are pretty few and far between. I mean, honestly, if I'm going to start XYZ Host, I'm not going to register XYZhost.com years and years before I need it. The original registration date is, in the vast majority of cases, a good indicator of how long a host has been around.

I agree that is is just one tool of many, though. Domains do change hands now and again and whois data needs to be reconciled with other data.

<<snipped>>

At least that's my two cents on the matter...
    Last edited by bear; 01-10-2008 at 10:12 AM.

I've been a member of WHT which focuses on webhosting since 2003... I do not think myself and my company will be going anywhere soon!