Question Help getting started with Host Gator!!!

Hello,

I am new to reseller hosting and am totally lost. I would like to become a reseller of hosting thru Host Gator, and the sales rep told me I would need to design my own web site for hosting. This wouldn't be too much of a problem for me because I am a web designer, but the thing is I have little to no programming skills, and have no idea how to design a reseller site. I saw that they have templates available, but I'm not sure if they will be of any help... If there is anyone out there who is a reseller with Host Gator, could you please tell me how to get started, I would like to get going very soon but I need something quick and easy. Also, the reason I chose Host Gator was becasue they have the free billing system... do I still need a payment gateway like Authorize.net and an SSL certificate for that?

I'd just recommend that you use one of their free web hosting templates and the free billing panel that they offer. All you'll really need to do is configure both and then start selling - it is the easiest option.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

You will need a payment gateway for the billing software if you want to bill through it, but it doesn't necessarily have to be something like Authorize.net. If you already have a PayPal account, you can even use that with the billing software. A SSL certificate is not necessary if you're using something like PayPal (3rd party, off site) to process payments.

As Sean mentioned, you can design the website as you'd like or use one of their free templates, but you don't have to program anything into the site, just add the billing software and set it up.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

At first you must create your bussiness plan. Then design your web site professionally. If you have no many time or knowledge when you can find a cheap and good template on Design Offer page of WHM(visit http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56). Then integrate your billing software to your web site. Most reseller hosting providers provide it free. If you don't want to use an online billing software when you can use a form mailer script together with a whois script. If you want to accept payments by credit cards on your site when you must open a merchant account on your bank. Or you can accept payments by some services such as Paypal. It's more easy, secure and cheap solution for small companies. Then create your hosting packages on your Web Hosting Manager and start sales. Good luck.
    DomainCart - Domain and Hosting Shopping Cart with Integrated Bootstrap Hosting Template.
    www.domaincart.net - Demo

The designs on host gator are usually resold over and over again. So i would go ahead and make a custom design.. for a billing solution you can use WHMCS. I believe they now offer this as well?

You can pay WHMCS a small fee to have them customize it completely into your site and set it up with your domain reseller account, website, plan prices, etc..

There are also people around here that offer this service if you check the offers forum. Paypal should be fine.. We have a fairly descent customer base and still use paypal. I just find it more convenient and cheaper than merchants over all.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Thanks for all your help... I have a few ideas to get started...

One other question... a few of you mentioned using PayPal... how can I integrate PayPal with my hosting services... I already have a PayPal business account...and have checked out their merchant services but I'm not sure which one I need or how to set it up...

You can setup PayPal through your billing software that you choose to use. Essentially, when the user pays, it will redirect them to PayPal's website to complete the transaction.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

you can use whmcs for backend easily, you just need to customize it, with whmcs its not hard to do.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kw2102 View Post
    Hello,

I am new to reseller hosting and am totally lost. I would like to become a reseller of hosting thru Host Gator, and the sales rep told me I would need to design my own web site for hosting. This wouldn't be too much of a problem for me because I am a web designer, but the thing is I have little to no programming skills, and have no idea how to design a reseller site. I saw that they have templates available, but I'm not sure if they will be of any help... If there is anyone out there who is a reseller with Host Gator, could you please tell me how to get started, I would like to get going very soon but I need something quick and easy. Also, the reason I chose Host Gator was becasue they have the free billing system... do I still need a payment gateway like Authorize.net and an SSL certificate for that?
    as I know they do offer a installation fee like $35 to install you a free billing system. for your online transaction security, I would suggest getting a SSL (and also you must have a dedicated IP to install SSL) You have to check these extra costs with your host.

I would say the best place to design a reseller hosting site is Hostgator itself. It is very know for providing reseller hosting.
    ResellerTemple.Com & CsIdea.US
    Marketing & Design & Programming for Competitive Price!