recommend me a vps

hi,
    i am looking to speed up my loading times for my website, i am currently with antony keenan internet services.

they are a very nice to work with compant and customer service is second to none!

however it is a business website and at some times of the day loading is a bit slow.

at some times it can be as slow as 4-5s per page on the vbulletin forums!

i have looked at webfusion, the seem to do a very good package!

i realise my website is quite hard to run consisting of cubecart and vbulletin.

so it must have php/mysql and i have worked with cpanel before! but open to other suggestions

it must be a UK vps, and i dont want to spend more than 20 per month maximum!

Trevor

How many hits do you get? The thing I don't really like is small cpanel VPS's, just because Cpanel uses a lot of resources itself. If you aren't getting too many views for shared hosting then maybe it would be better to just move to a more reliable shared hosting provider? Unless you need customization of the web server that I don't know about.

824671 last month

but it is growing by about 10% at the minute!

i have no problem changing from cpanel if it uses lots of resources!

Trevor

If you want a fast/reliable site you need to allocate resources accordingly, including money. I recommend you Clustered.net but their VPNs cost 30. We used their services for a while and everything is excellent, class A+
    Last edited by dotHostel; 01-05-2008 at 03:53 PM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

cPanel will need at least 512 dedicated RAM to work IMO, its a resource hog.

Also, do you have any experience with managing servers/linux?

Check out the offers forum too.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

With Interworx cp, if you turn off spamassassin and clamav, you can get their panel under ~225mb
    Clint Chapman ** www.ubiquityhosting.com ** www.ubiquitycloud.com
    Ubiquity Hosting ** Colocation ** Dedicated ** Cloud Servers ** VPS ** IP Transit
    Chicago ** Dallas ** Los Angeles ** Seattle ** Atlanta ** Newark ** Phoenix ** AS15003

Plesk runs pretty good on Linux VPS's with 128MB memory.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS - UK Java & PHP Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock!

Thank you very much appreciated

You can take a VPS with a miimal installation, then install Lighttpd, PHP and mysql. So you will have good performance even with a 128MB VPS. Of course, if you get 256MB is quite better :-)
    Virtuelogic Limited - PHP/Ruby web development - Server support - Web hosting - Application support

Quote Originally Posted by rtacconi72 View Post
    You can take a VPS with a miimal installation, then install Lighttpd, PHP and mysql. So you will have good performance even with a 128MB VPS. Of course, if you get 256MB is quite better :-)
    how much traffic would a vps handle with

200mb ram gurenteed
    400mb burst

for example how many users online at once and still keep loading times below 2seconds on vbulletin

Trevor

I would strongly reccomend looking for a 256MB VPS with HyperVM, so you can use LxAdmin. Its a very easy to use control panel that comes free wherever you see HyperVM, and it runs blisteringly fast even with small resource allocation.

Alternativley if you are more confident as others have mentioned, you could manually install Lighttpd, PHP, MySQL and a DNS Server, or hire someone to do that for you.

If you want to use cPanel you need at least 512MB RAM and some optimization for it to run efficiently. I find less than 512MB RAM and things can be a little on the slow side, even with optimization.

Quote Originally Posted by tr3vor View Post
    how much traffic would a vps handle with

200mb ram gurenteed
    400mb burst

for example how many users online at once and still keep loading times below 2seconds on vbulletin

Trevor
    There is no definite answer for these questions. It depends on how well your VPS is optimized and how heavily the VPS host nodes are loaded.

For your information, you won't get total isolation in VPS environment. Resources like CPU and Disk IO are still shared in your VPS.

However, one thing I can assure you is that, whenever you shop for VPS, always look at the Guaranteed RAM. Burstable RAM is just a marketing strategy which doesn't really tell you much about a VPS performance.

Good luck.