This should be a cinch for you Wizards out there...

Hi Guys,

In a nutshell... I confess, I'm not the warlock from Die Hard - but I still have some slight knowledge. But somehow I have tangled myself up in a slight roadblock, that will probably end up being MUCH easier to fix than I am making it out to be.

HERE IS MY PROBLEM:

- I recently purchased SiteSpinner, by Virtual Mechanics (I KNOW I KNOW, insert laugh and smirk here guys... but it won all the awards and I only had $50 in my wallet, and didn't have 2 extra years to go to technical college!)

Well, my first attempt at publishing it to the web via their built in FTP publisher, worked flawlessly. (It's the same FTP program that Web-Easy and Web-Studio etc etc ALL have - so I've used it extensively before with no issues or confusion)

NOW - fast forward over a week, and I am 100% UNABLE to publish anything NEW/UPDATED/EDITED at all - FOR BODYBYDESIGNINC.COM period. The most confusing part, is that when I select 'PUBLISH' from the program, it loads, uploads, and published to my server perfectly, without an error. (BUT, I think the problem resides within the server, or the set-up passwords and logins at least.)

SO LASTLY...

This week, in an attempt to 'self-fix' this glitch, I tried to configure the passwords and change a bunch of crap around - and then the problem just stayed the same, but got worse.

NOW MY MAIN (WHM) LOGIN TO SERVER(dot)HOSTINGCREST(dot)COM IS THE SAME AS MY MAIN DOMAIN ACCOUNT LISTED THERE: bodybydesigninc.com

I BELIEVE THIS is what is causing the problems updating/loading the newer versions of the site I have been working so hard on - it DOES publish, but to some obscure on-line folder within my server somewhere, BUT I NEED IT OF COURSE to publish to the specific domain of bodybydesigninc.com.

HOW DO I DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN THESE 2 LOG-INS AND PASSWORDS????????

Originally, my log-in for hostingcrest.com:2086 was Artainium, and then I simply inserted my password for access to Hosting Crest, and my main domain was seperate from my WHM log-in, and the World was wonderful.

MAIN QUESTION PLEASE - I'M BEGGING YOU GUYS!
    HOW CAN I MAKE MY LOG-IN (WHM) DEDICATED NAME *AND* PASSWORDS, DIFFERENT THAN THE 'MAIN' DOMAIN ACCOUNT ON HOSTINGCREST.COM, WHICH ARE RIGHT NOW BOTH BODYBYDE (since my main domain is bodybydesigninc.com)????????

> So, how can I make the MAIN LOG-IN with that fancy little window pop-up window for hostingcrest.com DIFFERENT than my main BODYBYDE (for BodybyDesigninc.com) 1 of 4 domains (accounts) I own and have on Hostingcrest at the moment - ALL SO THAT MY FTP PROGRAM IN SITE SPINNER CAN INTERPRET THE DIFFERENT BETWEEN JUST PUBLISHING TO HOSTINGCREST, AND PUBLISHING DIRECTLY TO BODYBYDESIGNINC.COM??????????

-Thanks

Try Adding the domain name to the user id like : username+domain.name

and let us know if that helps.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Try Adding the domain name to the user id like : username+domain.name

and let us know if that helps.
    You mean changing this within Hostingcrest, or changing it within Site Spinner?

Changing the actual user name is what I'm confused about, I can change the password, but I don't know how to manipulate the log-in or the main domain account.

Log-in at Hostingcrest is: bodybyde
    Log-in within Hostingcrest for www-bodybydesigninc-com: bodybyde

They overlap, this is why I wanted to change the log-in AND the main domain name - if that's possible, both of them. This way, the FTP never gets confused again. (Because everything was perfect for the past six months, when my main log-in was Artainum, and somehow I changed it and don't even know how)

Thanks....

In your FTP program you change the username to userid+domainname (don't forget the + sign) so to login at bodybydesigninc.com you use bodybyde+bodybydesigninc.com as userid in your FTP program.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Your host can change usernames and domain names for you. (Sorry, you can't do it yourself through WHM.)

Just out of curiosity, why isn't your host helping you with this? Did you already submit a ticket to them?
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by everity View Post
    Your host can change usernames and domain names for you. (Sorry, you can't do it yourself through WHM.)

Just out of curiosity, why isn't your host helping you with this? Did you already submit a ticket to them?
    My host is server(dot)hostingcrest(dot)com:2086/

I have no idea how to submit a ticket... has anyone used Hosting Crest before - please advise. THANKS!

PS: I tried changing the user-ID within the FTP publisher using my WYSIWYG html program, and it failed to connect multiple times, I tried checking and un-checking the passive mode too.

I think the problem is SiteSpinner is uploading to the wrong folder. I would be quite surprised if it had anything to do with the fact your username/password is the same for both WHM and cPanel.

Since you say it is appearing to publish, you should get a normal FTP client to see where exactly it's putting those files.

Does SiteSpinner allow you to choose a destination folder? If so, this should be set to: public_html
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Vince,

Thanks man, I'm trying it right now in the background...

But, the reason why I even guessed and believed it to be the Server settings/log-in, is because I have been using three different WYSIWYG programs for over 3 months now, and used the same info I'd say 200 times for 4 different websites - and as soon as I changed my initial Hostingcrest log-in from what it's been for those 3 months (Artainium) to Bodybyde (don't even know how I did that) everything became messed up.

I'll reply asap, and let you know if changing my folder from /public, to _public made any changes.

THANKS though for taking the time to help out...

PS Vince... excuse my ignorance - but I use C-Panel of course, and at the bottom of the left hand scroll box, I see the Fantastico add-on offered, that you have in your signature - what is that, and would it help me in any way?

PS: I have a normal FTP client, FileZilla, that I use from time to time and love it. Would this help me in anyway, if I would simply copy/paste the HTML code generated by SiteSpinner into a notepad, and transfer it via FileZilla - in stead of using SiteSpinner's FTP?

Yikes.... nope, still didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron R Smith View Post
    PS Vince... excuse my ignorance - but I use C-Panel of course, and at the bottom of the left hand scroll box, I see the Fantastico add-on offered, that you have in your signature - what is that, and would it help me in any way?
    Fantastico is a script installer. It allows you to install software like a forum, blog, content management system or a site builder (that I don't particularly care for). In total, there is more than 40 scripts fantastico can install with a few clicks of your mouse.

Could it help your situation? Perhaps. It really depends on what you want for your site. Installing a blog or a CMS could totally replace SiteSpinner for some. Either of them would make future edits and additions to a site easier (no uploading/FTP involved).

PS: I have a normal FTP client, FileZilla, that I use from time to time and love it. Would this help me in anyway, if I would simply copy/paste the HTML code generated by SiteSpinner into a notepad, and transfer it via FileZilla - in stead of using SiteSpinner's FTP?
    Yes, that should work just fine.
    Need a new Web Host?

I'll reply asap, and let you know if changing my folder from /public, to _public made any changes.

THANKS though for taking the time to help out...
    Make sure your changing /public to /public_html (not sure where you got _public from).
    Need a new Web Host?