Lightbulb New Hosting Solution needed.....

Hi,

I run a vb forum which has a 400mb mySQL database and over 2gb of files and has approx 30 - 80 people online at any one time.
    here are my forum stats - Threads: 18,832, Posts: 292,067, Members: 3,369

Im currrently hosting on shared hosting with Streamline but their service recently is AWFUL site is slow and they say its all working fine :|

Anyway thanks to a sponsor i have approx 300 - 350 a year to spend on hosting and i was considering either a VPS or dedicated server. Ive looked at webhosting.uk.com linus VPS business option  which comes in at 352 with the cpanel and vat added for 12 months.

OR i stick with streamline and get their freedom 1 dedicated server. which comes in at £380 after you add vat.

Ive never used a VPS or dedicated server and i am completely new can anyone offer a suitable suggestion or suggest another company? or should i simply find a good shared hosting company?

Gaz

SOrry tried posting links to the packages but cause im new i cant

I guess it will be better to go for a VPS or a dedicated server depending upon your budget as it will give you room for growing and will take you out of the restrictions of a shared host.
    I think the best place to start with will be the offer section. That will give you an idea about the offers and hosts offering what you need. If you are not much into server administration, i guess it will be better to go for a fully managed option, but that will make teh price higher.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Do you have any kind of plugin/hack installed? any shoutbox? with those stats IMO your site should fit fine in a shared environment.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

gonkowonko,

I don't know what kind of VPS package you look at, but make sure you have enough resources otherwise your site may run even worse as on a good shared environment.

Another tip, if you are not familiar with VPS or Dedicated servers and you are not able to manage a server yourself you should look for a managed server/vps solution this would safe you much headaches.

Good luck in finding a good provider for your site.
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

i have approx 300 - 350 a year to spend on hosting and i was considering either a VPS or dedicated server.
    Looks like you need a fully managed service. Your budget can get your an entry level fully managed VPS from a well established provider.

Personally, rather than get a small VPS, I'd go for high quality shared hosting.

I'd go with a semi-dedicated (Shared, but less accounts per server, so you get more resources to use). I think Hostgator and a few others do that.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think i am going to go with the managed VPS solution offered by webhosting.uk.com as this seems my best option at the moment.

Yeah managed VPS is the better solution than dedicated server. You can always go for dedi at a later time when your requirements gets bigger!
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals