* Please advise a suitable shopping cart & accounting software

I wish to know if there're shopping carts that provide functions which allow me to:

* View the name & addresses of all buyers of 1 item/category in 1 page, so I can print them out on a sticker paper and paste on the packages.
    * View how many orders are there for an item.
    * View how many orders are there for each item of the same vendor. (So I can automatically submit the order to my vendor)

It'll be great if there's a shopping cart that provides this by default(not having to add scripts or whatever). Cuz I intend to keep things simple

I've went thru the demos for Pinnaclecart, Zencart and Dreamweb but they don't seem to help that.

Will accounting softwares like Quickbook or Sage help?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mmsedated; 01-05-2008 at 03:05 AM.

I don't have the answer for you, sorry.

I can tell you that when the time comes, unless I can find a plug-in for Zencart which does the names/addresses => labels thing, I am planning on having to sit down and manually type the names/addys probably into Palm Desktop ... I love Palm Desktop for managing snail-mail mailing lists, and it enables me to attach related data to the customer too (so I can filter by interest, vendor, item, whatever). It prints labels of all shapes and formats. I used it years ago when I did print newsletters for my gift shop, and I'll use it again when I get back into print newsletters this year.

(Not sure if that means Palm Desktop is that good, or if I'm simply an old dog performing old tricks. LOL!!!)

On one hand it is a pain to have these systems separate, but on the other hand I also don't feel like I have my systems at risk by having everything integrated into one single package ... what if the script/program/app corrupted?? *UGH* I've had that happen with point-of-sale systems, the app corrupted and crashed, and it wouldn't even work from backup. Everything was lost.

Ever since those experiences I have become quite gun-shy, and I actually prefer the "protection" of having multiple, independent systems, so that if one system pukes, I still have everything else up & working. Otherwise I would basically lose my business ... and that would be horrible.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

>< But I don't wanna keep on editing thousands of addresses

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    I don't have the answer for you, sorry.

I can tell you that when the time comes, unless I can find a plug-in for Zencart which does the names/addresses => labels thing, I am planning on having to sit down and manually type the names/addys probably into Palm Desktop ... I love Palm Desktop for managing snail-mail mailing lists, and it enables me to attach related data to the customer too (so I can filter by interest, vendor, item, whatever). It prints labels of all shapes and formats. I used it years ago when I did print newsletters for my gift shop, and I'll use it again when I get back into print newsletters this year.

(Not sure if that means Palm Desktop is that good, or if I'm simply an old dog performing old tricks. LOL!!!)

On one hand it is a pain to have these systems separate, but on the other hand I also don't feel like I have my systems at risk by having everything integrated into one single package ... what if the script/program/app corrupted?? *UGH* I've had that happen with point-of-sale systems, the app corrupted and crashed, and it wouldn't even work from backup. Everything was lost.

Ever since those experiences I have become quite gun-shy, and I actually prefer the "protection" of having multiple, independent systems, so that if one system pukes, I still have everything else up & working. Otherwise I would basically lose my business ... and that would be horrible.

Bailey

Not sure at the moment, haven't used any myself for a long time, what you need does not seem too complicated though. Maybe take a look at the most-used open-source carts and see what they have and consider extending them if not as it shouldn't be too hard. ZenCart and phpCoin spring to mind and I remember PayPal having a shopping cart too, think maybe 2checkout has something like that integrated with their service, not sure if it's off their site as well though. I'm afraid I don't know much more, but maybe research those options, there might be something useful there.

Do you have thousands of addresses already???

.... I ask, because over-estimation of one's prospective sales is the #1 mistake that new e-commerce site operators make. Believe me, the world is NOT going to rush to your website en masse any time soon after launch. Not. It's going to take a lot of time and old-fashioned WORK to get anywhere near "thousands of addresses."

That said, I rec'd a pike from these people yesterday: http://ebusinessautomator.com/

Maybe it'll do what you need it to. If they had a self-hosted solution, I'd consider it. I don't trust my client data on other people's servers anymore though.

Bailey
    Last edited by bithost(NET); 01-05-2008 at 06:52 PM.
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Not sure at the moment, haven't used any myself for a long time, what you need does not seem too complicated though. Maybe take a look at the most-used open-source carts and see what they have and consider extending them if not as it shouldn't be too hard. ZenCart and phpCoin spring to mind and I remember PayPal having a shopping cart too, think maybe 2checkout has something like that integrated with their service, not sure if it's off their site as well though. I'm afraid I don't know much more, but maybe research those options, there might be something useful there.
    Okay, looks like I'm going to have a big headache. Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you have thousands of addresses already???

.... I ask, because over-estimation of one's prospective sales is the #1 mistake that new e-commerce site operators make. Believe me, the world is NOT going to rush to your website en masse any time soon after launch. Not. It's going to take a lot of time and old-fashioned WORK to get anywhere near "thousands of addresses."

That said, I rec'd a pike from these people yesterday: http://ebusinessautomator.com/

Maybe it'll do what you need it to. If they had a self-hosted solution, I'd consider it. I don't trust my client data on other people's servers anymore though.
    Yup currently I do. I've been doing small business, but it's really growing so I've decided to go 'pro'.

I'm sorry, I'm still confused ............. are you on a current e-commerce system and looking to switch to Dreamcart (or whatever) that has the export functionalities?

Or are these paper records, or records in a CRM/contact program?

If it's the latter, then you will still have to manually add all those records (manually) into your cart ... the usually way to do this is to simply let customers visit your site, register themselves, and your online customer base (in your cart) grows that way.

Even so, people only register when they want to order ... and orders don't come that quickly.

I realize you are envisioning thousands of addresses, but as a bricks-and-mortar retailer myself, (and as someone who consults with and builds websites for B&M retailers who are going online) the big glut of customers does not come. It's a slow and gradual thing. If your customers are offline, they are thinking of you as offline... it takes easily a year to get decent traffic... and longer than that before your website has what I would classify as "stable" traffic with a following.

The reason for this is the human brain. We are creatures of habit. When people aren't already in the habit of thinking of and visiting your website, they don't think of it, which means they don't visit. It will take you at least 7 (and probably more) contacts with each customer to get them mentally re-programmed to recall you have a website... and it takes even longer (and more contacts) to get them to go there.

Obviously I don't know your situation, and I do not want to sound like I'm "shooting you down" here, okay? I don't even want to dampen your enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is a wonderful thing.

I simply want to shed a little experience and perspective on e-comm, and marketing, and making the jump from offline to online, so that you don't feel let down when things actually go normally. It helps to have measuring stick -- something accurate and real-world-ish -- I'm just trying to offer you some feedback so if things do have a slow start, you don't get discouraged. Slow is normal. And slow builds up to good things if you keep at it. But it's not going to happen fast. It takes time.

I hope this is helpful to you somehow.

By the way, I just "went live" with ZenCart on my own gift shop's site tonight. Finished about 20 minutes ago. I am kind of sitting here basking in the glow of really accomplishing something significant. It is a great feeling. I am finally on a working, functioning, stable, and nice-looking cart for the first time in over 8 months. First my OSC broke for no identifiable reason (some kind of odd bug), then I redeployed to CRE Loaded which was both buggy as hell and butt-ugly!! Two weeks before Christmas I decided CRE was leaving my life !!! and I started re-deploying to ZenCart. Did it within the past 8 days.

So, I hear ya' on this project... I hope yours goes well.

Bailey

Not sure how big your company is but a hosted system like NetSuite integrates CRM, Accounting, Billing and your ecommerce site all into one.. Nice dashboards as well.. Peachtree (by Sage) is also good for startups.. Good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    By the way, I just "went live" with ZenCart on my own gift shop's site tonight. Finished about 20 minutes ago. I am kind of sitting here basking in the glow of really accomplishing something significant. It is a great feeling. I am finally on a working, functioning, stable, and nice-looking cart for the first time in over 8 months. First my OSC broke for no identifiable reason (some kind of odd bug), then I redeployed to CRE Loaded which was both buggy as hell and butt-ugly!! Two weeks before Christmas I decided CRE was leaving my life !!! and I started re-deploying to ZenCart. Did it within the past 8 days.
    Congratulations on your new site. Would you mind posting URL?
    I am very curious to see real world examples of one of the most recommended carts on WHT.
    :: Mountain Network Systems :: 323-933-9291
    eCommerce solutions since 1995
    http://www.webcart.net/