Hosting main site offsite?

Just moved from reseller to VPS. How do you more experienced folks handle having your primary site hosted on a separate server so that if your clients all go down, they are still able to get to your site to open support tickets, email you, etc.

What recommendations do you all have?

We have our main site on it's own dedicated server to improve performance and reliability. If you put your main website on a server with your shared hosting customers your site can go down if someone overloads the server, comes under a DOS attack, etc. Of course these things can happen on a dedicated server as well, but at least you only have the one domain hosted on the server and have more control over the server.

Additionally, we have our support domain hosted in a server in Chicago, while all of our other servers are located in Denver. This way, if we experiece network issued, power loss, natural disaster, etc. our customers can still reach support and we can keep them informed. None of these methods are fault proof, but it helps improve redundancy and can be a big improvement if you have the budget. Even a shared account or VPS can be a pretty affordable option for remotely hosting your support. Just purchase a domain name like YourHostNameSupport.com and host it in a different location than your main operation.
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

If you can afford to have your main site offsite, then do it.

I would get a reseller account or another VPS to host your site at another provider on a completely different network.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppepro View Post
    Just moved from reseller to VPS. How do you more experienced folks handle having your primary site hosted on a separate server so that if your clients all go down, they are still able to get to your site to open support tickets, email you, etc.

What recommendations do you all have?
    I run my main site from a small reseller account through another provider, that way if the server hosting my clients goes down the main site (and contact info) can be reached. I guess you could just use a basic shared account, but with a reseller you get whm and usually can control your domain dns with it.

Another question. Am I able to use my same main domain and still host that off site?

Meaning if I'm www.mysite.com
    and my nameservers are ns1.mysite.com ... and my hostname is host.mysite.com, can I still host www.mysite.com offsite?

Sorry for the seemingly dumb questions. I'm fairly new at this and only got about 60 clients and I'm sick of panicking how people will contact me every time the server goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppepro View Post
    Another question. Am I able to use my same main domain and still host that off site?

Meaning if I'm www.mysite.com
    and my nameservers are ns1.mysite.com ... and my hostname is host.mysite.com, can I still host www.mysite.com offsite?

Sorry for the seemingly dumb questions. I'm fairly new at this and only got about 60 clients and I'm sick of panicking how people will contact me every time the server goes down.
    Yes. Just make sure you create A records if you`re using private nameservers. You`ll probably need to create an A record for the hostname too, if not you may get email problems. These will need to be added to the offsite server (main domain).

Yes definately use an offsite solution for your main site. Also you can setup alternate e-mail address and contact information not dependent on your site to be contacted. We have separate gmail and MSN/AIM/Yahoo IM contacts.

Ive never been a fan on running billing software on a server thats hosting clients either. So a separate dedicated or vps would not be a bad idea for this.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box