Thread: whois protect

whois protect

is there a way to hide the Created and Expirated Date of Domain from whois output?

Sort of.

Become an ICANN accreddited registrar, and then you get to output your own whois template to the public (although still be obligated to provide full details when they whois at your site)

Shouldn't cost you much more than about $40,000/year
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Become an ICANN accreddited registrar, and then you get to output your own whois template to the public (although still be obligated to provide full details when they whois at your site)

That doesn't work, the create and expiry dates are displayed in the registry whois which you can't influence.

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech
    Shouldn't cost you much more than about $40,000/year
    Rebel will do it for $2000/month
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by rony View Post
    That doesn't work, the create and expiry dates are displayed in the registry whois which you can't influence.
    It does work - I've been looking code to do it and the ICANN rules for weeks

For example, you do a regular whois on a godaddy reg'd domain you get a very cut-down set of details. You do the same whois at their site you get all the details. Perfectly valid for registries to have different details between open-public, and closed-public whois results - it's only a requirement that the details can be obtained by an interested party...

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    Which oddly enough is the same as the monthly ICANN fee ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Since the code is "customizable" may be registrars can write a code to block certain details, sort of like whois privacy, with a click of a button.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Which oddly enough is the same as the monthly ICANN fee ...
    Where'd you get $2,000 as a monthly ICANN fee??

And, doesn't Rebel charge $2,000 base plus fees incurred?

Quote Originally Posted by Domainitor View Post
    Where'd you get $2,000 as a monthly ICANN fee??
    from taking the annual amount paid to ICANN excluding the individual per-domain "tax" from the accounts package of an accreddited registrar that we may be taking onboard (and excluding direct costs for attending meetings, software licences/coding changes, consultancy etc), but including the cost of the bank-issued liquidity bond and so forth.

You can get *some* of the fees from
    http://www.icann.org/registrars/accr...financials.htm
    and extrapolate from there ...
    2500 application
    4000 annual accreditation
    2000 quarterly membership
    +other invoices as they raise them

Which is by no means a complete list of the figures due ICANN or the other costs involved with meeting the requirements, actively taking part, time/cost in negotiating with individual ccTLD registries and so forth - my current "guestimate" is that the actual cost to the business is likely to be in the $90,000 range year1

It does work - I've been looking code to do it and the ICANN rules for weeks
    It only works in your whois server, but not in the registry one. And you always query first the registry whois server to find the registrar whois server. For all the gTLDs only com and net are thin registries where you get the full output from the registrar, for all other extensions you can query the registry directly and you will get all the details.

According to the ICANN registrar agreement you have to "provide an interactive web page and a port 43 Whois service" (point 3.3) and you have to display the create (3.3.1.4) and expiry date (3.3.1.5).

Godaddy displays all the domain information on the port 43 whois server, only when you send to many queries from the same IP address they start to limit the output.

I don't know why anyone would want to do this in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgm View Post
    I don't know why anyone would want to do this in the first place.
    I'd guess it's to hide the true age of the business. Can't think of any legitimate reason for that off hand, though.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

from taking the annual amount paid to ICANN excluding the individual per-domain "tax" from the accounts package of an accreddited registrar that we may be taking onboard (and excluding direct costs for attending meetings, software licences/coding changes, consultancy etc), but including the cost of the bank-issued liquidity bond and so forth.

You can get *some* of the fees from
    http://www.icann.org/registrars/accr...financials.htm
    and extrapolate from there ...
    2500 application
    4000 annual accreditation
    2000 quarterly membership
    +other invoices as they raise them

Which is by no means a complete list of the figures due ICANN or the other costs involved with meeting the requirements, actively taking part, time/cost in negotiating with individual ccTLD registries and so forth - my current "guestimate" is that the actual cost to the business is likely to be in the $90,000 range year1
    Speaking as a registrar and as a provider of registrar software with intimate knowledge of other registrars' businesses, you're not even close with your $90K number.

The "quarterly membership" you reference is actually the variable fee, which is paid quarterly. And the Application Fee is a one-shot fee; it's not part of the on-going fees. So, in actuality, you're looking at an average $12K per year or $1K per month. And even if you were to factor in registry deposits, your initial and rolling registry/ICANN outgo remains rather small.

Quote Originally Posted by Domainitor
    And, doesn't Rebel charge $2,000 base plus fees incurred?
    Here is the link to the Rebel website.. http://www.myrebel.com It doesn't give you the fees and unfortunately I've deleted the email from them. But from memory it's a flat $2000. I don't recall them mentioning any additional ICANN fees. Your Registry fees are down to you.

Here is the link to the Rebel website.. http://www.myrebel.com It doesn't give you the fees and unfortunately I've deleted the email from them. But from memory it's a flat $2000. I don't recall them mentioning any additional ICANN fees. Your Registry fees are down to you.
    Directly from the site (emphasis added by me):
    Your financial transactions are between you and the registry, plus a reasonable leasing fee determined by the size of your domain portfolio and the types of domains owned.
    I can't imagine that they're going to absorb your ICANN fees. Minimally, they're being built in to the "reasonable leasing fee."

That's the reasonable leasing fee, $2000. That's what I got quoted. I don't recall giving them my number or type of domains. I presume by type, they mean tld, because Rebel only appear to deal in the gtld's.

I'm really only guessing how it works, but I presume it's MyRebel who deals with ICANN and takes care of their fees and the customer gets an account at MyRebel. Those fees would then occur only once. Not for every lease.

I never went any further with my initial inquiry because the price quote (whilst reasonable) was outside my budget.
    Last edited by stub; 01-05-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Last edited by stub; 01-05-2008 at 09:36 PM.