Installing a different version of gcc

I am having a problem with a specific program im using and the developers are telling me that there is an mmap bug with the gcc version of centos 5.1 possibly including the libstdc++ libraries.

I have everything updated so my only recourse right now is to try a different compiler.

Is it possible to install a different version of gcc along with the one that comes with the distro?

I remember way back I tried to change gcc versions and all hell broke lose, almost everything was dependent on distro gcc.

Any advice, directions would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, just install it to its own directory (e.g. /usr/local/gcc42). You need to modify your CC/CXX and LD_LIBRARY_PATH envars accordingly before compiling and running the proggie.
    WK Woon
    CTO | http://www.aflexi.net - A flexible Network
    Building the next generation CDN platform - DEMO .... coming soon

afterwards the program will continue running with the libaries/compiler that was used?

The program uses libraries other than libstdc++, libc, will I need to recompile the libraries that it uses?

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito1 View Post
    1. afterwards the program will continue running with the libaries/compiler that was used?

2. The program uses libraries other than libstdc++, libc, will I need to recompile the libraries that it uses?
    1. Yes, but LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to be set to the custom gcc lib directory. I recommend a wrapper script be written to set that envar and run the program.

2. Don't know, sorry.
    WK Woon
    CTO | http://www.aflexi.net - A flexible Network
    Building the next generation CDN platform - DEMO .... coming soon