Question Quick disconnection.

Hi

I currently have a dedicated server in the Savvis DC from a reseller. I won't name the reseller at this point.

Anyway, i have been with these guys for a few months. Once or twice i have been unable to make the payment on time due to credit card company screw ups.

Ok, so it comes to new year. Banks close, no payments can be made onto my credit card.

The 1st of the month comes along, and the server bill is due. Im unable to make a payment into my CC account for another week and a half due to the bank being closed.

I sent an email to the accounting team of the reseller, and they say " Yeah sure thats fine, give us a yell when the payment has been made ".

Anyway, I receive all these disconnection notices.... Im about to pay the bill tomorrow.

Now I have got a server disconnection notice, I have to pay by midnight tonight or it gets disconnected.

Well isn't this a nice start to the new year?

I can only get into the bank today to get the funds onto my CC card..... Funds are processed and arrive on the account tomorrow.

It just seems a little unfair, Ive told the reseller that I have been unable to put funds into there account(s) due to the banks being closed over the new year.

Still no difference.
    DigitalGoods.info
    FREE Shared, Mega Resellers + Dedicated Servers

Well he can not take the risk that you are lying to him for extra time. I'm not saying that you are lieing, but there are plenty of people that do. He is just a reseller, he will have to pay his datacenter even if he is scammed out of the payment, so he doesn't want to take the risk.

I can't blame them either.

With the holidays people should know to make arrangements before hand. Such as making the payment to your card before its actually needed and not reacting to the charge not going through.

Its not the providers responsibility to make sure you can be charged.

This is why, when it comes to holiday, it is smart to pay in advance to avoid the problem.

Net
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    This is why, when it comes to holiday, it is smart to pay in advance to avoid the problem.

Net
    Yep, we had several customers do exactly that and I applaud them for such foresight.

Here, the issue is that YOU aren't able to pay them, that is your fault. I don't see any issue with the provider demanding you pay for a service you're receiving. Sure, some additional flexibility would be nice, but generally, resellers cannot afford to give you that kind of flexibility. If that is an issue for you, maybe you shouldn't be dealing with resellers?
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

actually we cant blame on them, if they disconnect you on time its little unfair, but in this cannot blame on them for sure

It might be time to find a better bank. I've never run into a bank here in the states that closes for more than a day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganNZ View Post
    Hi

I currently have a dedicated server in the Savvis DC from a reseller. I won't name the reseller at this point.

Anyway, i have been with these guys for a few months. Once or twice i have been unable to make the payment on time due to credit card company screw ups.

Ok, so it comes to new year. Banks close, no payments can be made onto my credit card.

The 1st of the month comes along, and the server bill is due. Im unable to make a payment into my CC account for another week and a half due to the bank being closed.

I sent an email to the accounting team of the reseller, and they say " Yeah sure thats fine, give us a yell when the payment has been made ".

Anyway, I receive all these disconnection notices.... Im about to pay the bill tomorrow.

Now I have got a server disconnection notice, I have to pay by midnight tonight or it gets disconnected.

Well isn't this a nice start to the new year?

I can only get into the bank today to get the funds onto my CC card..... Funds are processed and arrive on the account tomorrow.

It just seems a little unfair, Ive told the reseller that I have been unable to put funds into there account(s) due to the banks being closed over the new year.

Still no difference.

I didn't know that banks closed for a week and half anywhere in the world. Seems a bit odd.

I can't blame the host for saying they would disconnect you. I'm sure everyone here has heard the "I just need a few days to make payment" thing only to never get paid. That's why we have a policy for disconnect if payment isn't made.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

9. It's probably best that you call up whoever is responsible for your account. (1)Sometimes situations are too complicated for text communication.

(1) Case in point -> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=638152
    BP6.Network - Quality Hosting Services
    - Shared Packages, Reseller Packages, Dedicated Servers, Co-lo & More.
    - Specializing in Streaming Media and other large-capacity needs.
    - BP6.Net

companies generally don't do this, unless you have a past history of being short of payments. They almost always give you a warning the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by mhalligan View Post
    It might be time to find a better bank. I've never run into a bank here in the states that closes for more than a day at a time.

Amen to that!! ... although, there are a couple of holidays where banks will be closed two days in a row (Sunday and Columbus Day, or Sunday and Labor Day). However, two days is nowhere near a week and a half! Somehow, something here sounds very fishy...

To the OP: web hosts are not banks. It is not fair to expect your web host to bankroll your server. They rely on you paying your bill on time, so they can pay their bill on your server in time.

Most Savvis/LT resellers have a very, very narrow margin on servers (like, $5-10/month, if that) ... the rest of your fees go straight through to LT. That means that they NEED your money in order to pay the bill, because they are not banking enough profit to be able to arbitrarily "float you" when you didn't think ahead to pre-load your credit card.

I am sorry, but I think this is best described as a lesson in cash management. Live and learn. Your server bill is always due on the 1st -- plan ahead.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.