Question Need: Dedicated, Managed, cPanel/WHM, $100

I'm currently renting a VPS from SLHost and while I love their support (they're so damned fast at fixing issues), it seems that I am calling upon it every three weeks.

I figured it's time to step up to a dedicated server while maintaining some of the features I'm used to having and I want to ask if there are any top-notch providers that you all can recommend considering my needs/limitations.

Here are my needs:
    - Dedicated
    - HD doesn't have to be anything huge, average is fine
    - Bandwidth will be minimal to average at most
    - WHM/cPanel
    - Some Linux distro (I'm not partial to any one)
    - Fully managed (I can play with WHM & Virtuozzo, but that's as far as my knowledge goes)
    - Respectable turn-around times for support tickets
    - ~ $100 USD per month

My biggest priority is uptime... like I said above, I love SLHost's support... but I don't love using it as often as I have been lately.

So, with my needs and budget, who would you recommend?

Thanks all!

See if one of these packages from iWeb is sufficient for you > http://clearance.iweb.com/

UBHosting has servers as well + a cPanel license added it still comes too < $100.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

I know this is a tad contradictory to my original post up there, but a friend has suggested something else...

What are your thoughts on MediaTemples Dedicated-Virtual Server (dv)? It's very much affordable, I'm well aware of the company, but I've never had a product/service of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by herkalees View Post
    What are your thoughts on MediaTemples Dedicated-Virtual Server (dv)? It's very much affordable, I'm well aware of the company, but I've never had a product/service of theirs.
    I am a little confused as it appeared you were looking to get away from a virtual service and a DVS is really no different than a VPS. Having your own server will provide the needed room to grow without having to upgrade your service as you go. For the price you are listing you can find a dedicated server with some management that will fit in your budget.
    IMO, I would price search and see what system will allow you to grow without paying too much while the business is growing.
    I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck with your search.

While you can get a cpanel server for $100-ish. I really don't see you being able to get a fully managed dedicated cpanel server for that price.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by Sago-Sean View Post
    I am a little confused as it appeared you were looking to get away from a virtual service and a DVS is really no different than a VPS. Having your own server will provide the needed room to grow without having to upgrade your service as you go. For the price you are listing you can find a dedicated server with some management that will fit in your budget.
    IMO, I would price search and see what system will allow you to grow without paying too much while the business is growing.
    I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck with your search.
    Yeah, sorry about the confusion - I'm definitely looking for something better than what I've got (getting quite tired with my current provider). I *think* I need a dedicated box, but I'm very open minded to the suggestions of other experienced people. Hence, my friend who recommended the MediaTemple (dv) service; he's got experience and I trust his opinion.

Regardless of which path I should take, do any of you have experience or second-hand information about the quality of MediaTemple's (dv) service?

...Or should I really stick with a dedicated server? I question whether or not I should if $100 doesn't get me anything 'quality'... you know?

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    While you can get a cpanel server for $100-ish. I really don't see you being able to get a fully managed dedicated cpanel server for that price.

--Tina
    Yeah, I'm begining to realize that too - my reply (right above this one) brings up that same issue: if I can't get a respectable dedicated server for ~$100, then maybe I should go for a well-recommended solution that's almost on the level of a dedicated server. That's why I've been asking about MediaTemple's (dv) service.

try liquidweb or hostgator they have good support on managed dedicated, we might get one box on either of these providers but SL is on our list's top.

i tihnk you should increase your price in to 100-150$ to get good managed server. are you looking for 100mbit or 10mbit?

A $150 budget is a good place to start. You have to remember, the host has to pay their bills too (server, cPanel license, admin time). That's really not realistic on a $100 budget.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

yes i agree with tina, for fully manage host you should consider about better price.

Since starting this topic much of the advice I've been given (both here at WHT and elsewhere) has convinced me that I shouldn't get a dedicated server, at least not until I can afford a budget larger than $100 per month.

I really do appreciate that advice from you all.

Since that is the case, I'm, so far anyway, really looking at MediaTemple's (dv) service [http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/dv/]. I know this is now probably in the wrong section of these forums, but can anyone out there give me some insight to the quality/reliability that MediaTemple might provide?

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    why do you think its better than your current vps?
    Simply because my current VPS provider has a bad track-record (in my opinion). I've had to call on their support for fixes numerous times in the past 6 months - somewhere around 10 times I believe. The VPS account either grinds to a halt, or goes offline altogether.

As for why I'm leaning towards MediaTemple, many people in my 'circle' use them, love them, recommend them, etc.

No thoughts/advice/insight to MediaTemple and their Dedicated-Virtual package?

I appreciate all of the advice given these past few days - I wish someone could've given some thoughts on MediaTemple, but I've decided to go with them anyways.

Thanks for the insights and opinions you've all offered!

If I were u I would check the webhosting offers section they have some servers up for around that price.