Post Looking for Host with in-house coders...

Hello all,

First, Im looking for a hosting provider that comes with ffmpeg and all the codec add-ons pre-installed.

Second, No.. I DO-NOT want a youtube clone. I just want to simply convert all movies that are uploaded to *.flv. Then have them available for download via url.

My main question is.. Are there any hosting providers that support ffmpeg with in-house or on-staff programmers/coders? Im looking for a host that I can also pay for script coding and/or other misc tasks.

Thank you all.

It's likely you could find a few companies that have programmers on their staff, however you might not like the pricing for programming. $45/hour and up is not uncommon.

Having a company which can is knowledgable with programming is not such a bad idea, as they could easily figure out if it was a scripting problem or a server problem.

You'd be better off price-wise finding some Tom, Dick or Harry that will help with coding for a few peanuts a month (hint: look in the advertising forums).
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Thanks for your reply. So are you suggesting to get hosting and find a seperate freelancer?

One of my concerns with that is an incompatibility between freelancer and hosting company. (i.e. rootaccess/no-rootaccess, LAMP/MS, or even language barriers). Should I wait to connect with the right freelancer first, and then purchase hosting? I'm just trying to avoid any possible future conflicts.

I havent chosen which hosting to go with yet, although I am narrowing my search down.

Thank you I will look in the advertising forums

A lot of freelancers have relationships with a particular host. I would suggest starting with the freelancer. www.craigslist.org is a good place to check also.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by trzl View Post
    Thanks for your reply. So are you suggesting to get hosting and find a seperate freelancer?
    If price is an issue, then that would be the optimal choice.

One of my concerns with that is an incompatibility between freelancer and hosting company. (i.e. rootaccess/no-rootaccess, LAMP/MS, or even language barriers).
    Having a host that is competent with programming, will likely solve the issue of the actual freelancer not having root access. For example, if you needed a certain something compiled into PHP, some hosts will go out of there way to install it (as long as the server security and/or functionality is not compromised). A host competent with programming will better understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish, and why you need something custom.

Getting an adaptive host, generally means choosing a smaller host. If you were to call a large hosting outfit (like GoDaddy or 1&1) I doubt they would be willing to install anything custom.

Should I wait to connect with the right freelancer first, and then purchase hosting? I'm just trying to avoid any possible future conflicts.
    That's more of a personal decision, I would personally start the search for both now.

Make sure to ask the host alot of presale questions, so you can find out if they will work for your situation.

Programmers (the one's that lurk around forums and will work for peanuts) are a dime a dozen. It may take a few attempts to find one that works for you. I am sure there are some lurking that have no idea what their worth, and could easily charge the higher prices for their experience.

Another idea is to find a partner (if your launching something that could use one). Perhaps you could get some free work done initially, and split profits from the venture.
    Need a new Web Host?

Quote Originally Posted by everity View Post
    A lot of freelancers have relationships with a particular host. I would suggest starting with the freelancer. www.craigslist.org is a good place to check also.
    That is a great point. Programmers usually do have a preferred host, who they know will support the scripts they write.
    Need a new Web Host?

Thank you all for your replies, I will take into account all of your feedback.

My initial thought was to secure hosting provider with ffmpeg + codec/addons pre-installed first, because my current hosting providers have stated "Try installing it at your own Risk".

I am new to ffmpeg, but I'm under the impression that if I get the ffmpeg software pre-installed w/ codecs, then there should be no need for the ROOT-ACCESS issue. Anyone know this to be true?

The main thing would be to secure a coder that is competent with ffmpeg and server configs (preferably the one I use). In concept, what I need done is simple. Upload, convert, stick in a folder, DONE (preferably php). Im willing to pay a good hourly rate to someone with the knowledge to complete the task correctly. But I don't want an issue between hardware/software and progammer. I thought a hosting provider with on-staff ffmpeg expert would be ideal.(I guess thats too good to be true).

I feel like I'm a lot closer to finding the right solution.

Thank you for your opinions and suggestions. This site is a HUGE help!
    Last edited by trzl; 01-03-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Yeah, your best bet is to first find a host that supports your needs, and then find someone else to do the coding, as most hosts don't offer coding services (can't think of any that do actually, even if they have in-house coders for their own site). You should find a good programmer for $75+ per hour, that's a typical rate.

You can check out elance.com too

trzl, do you have a budget for the script you're looking to have developed? It sounds pretty straightforward - you want to have a video uploaded, converted and stored. Do you only need the script created or do you also have other Web site needs such as building the interface people use to upload the videos, view the videos, Web site design, etc.?
    BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
    Build your own website powered by BannerOS with our DIY service.

It's so easy to do, any person who can code 5 lines in php can do what you need. If you don't want to install php+apache, etc, all you need is to write a script to check the upload folder and convert all new files. No need for a special hosting company.

keepin on

Quote Originally Posted by chenetwork View Post
    trzl, do you have a budget for the script you're looking to have developed? It sounds pretty straightforward - you want to have a video uploaded, converted and stored. Do you only need the script created or do you also have other Web site needs such as building the interface people use to upload the videos, view the videos, Web site design, etc.?
    Yes, I need at least a small script to manipulate video files and a user friendly interface for clients to upload. I would like to open a relationship with whoever does this, because there will be additional upgrades/add-ons possibly a few weeks/months after. This would be a script to simplify our office workflow. I do not expect high traffic volumes. This will only be used for our clients to interface with. URL will not be advertised, but still web accessible. But, definitely high file sizes. (1-2gigs per file). So I need to make sure and find a suitable host.

But, definitely high file sizes. (1-2gigs per file). So I need to make sure and find a suitable host.
    Uploading files through a web interface (php ect...) would not be a very good solution for huge file sizes. I'd think you run into memory and cpu problems fairly quickly on a shared host.
    Need a new Web Host?

Actually, uploading files via a Web interface isn't that CPU intensive. We have customers with scripts we developed for such a task that regularly upload multi hundred megabyte files. The OP didn't specifically mention doing this on a share host anyhow.

If your requirements are 1-2GB per file, how much storage space are you expecting to need? You may find yourself needing a dedicated, semi-dedicated or VPS solution.
    BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.

Quote Originally Posted by HostRefugee-Vince View Post
    Uploading files through a web interface (php ect...) would not be a very good solution for huge file sizes. I'd think you run into memory and cpu problems fairly quickly on a shared host.
    What about uploading by FTP via php script? Using a special ftp account only for this function. I think I can get by using a cron job, but I would still like a user-friendly interface for clients to use.

As far as hosting goes. Im checking out glowhost. They have what I need already pre-installed. I did some searching and havent found a bad review. Anyone have anything to else to say about them?

I will probably start out this a VPS. Somewhere in the $20-$50 a month range. Eventually I will have some small sites on there as well.

After doing some more research on ffmpeg's CPU usage when doing conversions, you may actually need to host your site separate from the server that's doing the conversion. I don't know if you've ever done video conversion, but as you probably know, when converting video, depending on size, quality, etc., it can easily eat up all available system resources. This would make your site all, but in accessible during video conversions, especially on files 1-2GB in size.

Most hosts that have ffmpeg installed is for use by Gallery2 which just makes thumbnails of movie items so it's not that resource intensive.

A VPS solution exclusively for video conversion, plus a shared account for hosting the Web site separately may be your best option.

Thumbs up Good 2 Know

A VPS solution exclusively for video conversion, plus a shared account for hosting the Web site separately may be your best option.
    Thank you chenetwork, that is good info. I will probably take your advice and keep things seperated. I already have a VDS (VPS is = to VDS, right?), and I think I will get another VPS for ffmpeg functions only.

Thanks