A warning to everyone

This is a warning to everyone to keep well away from the BC60xlt-1 handheld scanner by Uniden. This scanner is a load of complete rubbish and just about totally useless to newbie scanners not in the US or Canada and do not have the net. This scanner is also just completely useless to newbies because it's just far far too hard to work..
    Forget this one and go get the BC350A cause that's already programmed but this 60 is just a complete joke and i have never saw anything so bad before in my life.
    Useless junk and i'm not kidding.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

While we're warning about bad products...stay away from Sharp Electronics
    http://www.dropcore.com/sharp

[Edited to show the appropriate amount of displeasure]
    Last edited by sadistikal; 08-09-2002 at 06:33 PM.
    When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at
    you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".
    -- Linus Torvalds

Hopefully you can return it for a refund.

Yeah, and don't run with siccors either.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Thanks for the heads up!

Welll In the US I've had a Uniden Bearcat BC895XLT scanner for about 2 years now and it works great...

Good reception, range, & clarity...

It also has a great trunk tracker system that I used to use quite often.... From my experience it's never failed me...

Holds up to 300 channels in memory and has 50 channel banks for storage and option to include or exlude banks from scans..

Although not a handheld it's a modestly compact unit.
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Originally posted by Studio64
    Welll In the US I've had a Uniden Bearcat BC895XLT scanner for about 2 years now and it works great...

Good reception, range, & clarity...

It also has a great trunk tracker system that I used to use quite often.... From my experience it's never failed me...

Holds up to 300 channels in memory and has 50 channel banks for storage and option to include or exlude banks from scans..

Although not a handheld it's a modestly compact unit.
    Yes a bit like the BC350A but trunk tracker and just maybe a bit larger and with more option as well obviously..
    But the BC60xlt-1 is just junk, i have never saw anything so useless and so crappy and like i said impossible for newbies to operate and even i can't operate it and i'm not exactly a newbie anymore, i think you have to programme frequencies in before you can use it or something well that's what it says on one page of the manual and the other says "ohhh just press scan"..
    God i'm annoyed i even bought it.
    I have another BC350A which should be coming tommorow and i'm never ever buying a handheld again well not off Uniden..
    BC350A is smart though, good price with just enough features and takes seconds to learn how to operate it and a few minutes to learn how to program channels/frequencies..
    The quality of the scanner is as if it was made by ALBA ..

Personally I prefer radios that Transmit as well as receive.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Originally posted by mwatkins
    Personally I prefer radios that Transmit as well as receive.
    Get yourself a Fisher Price walkie talkie .

Here's a story. I was talking to this guy about radio scanning and i went "i what kind of scanner do you prefer" and he went " i use a baby monitor". I was wondering what kind of radio that is and turns out he ment one of these baby radios that mums and dads use in there house .
    Some pro scanner he must have been .

Ned, you can pick up a lot off a baby monitor.
    But of course you are right, a babymonitor listener is not quite a radio scanner.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."

One time in an apartment I lived in my next door neighbor was from India and was working over here as a programmer or web developer. At least that is what info I gained from my baby monitor. One day I'm sitting at my computer listening to a baby breathing and the next thing I know....he is having a problem delivering his project on time. Was semi-amusing.
    Sadistikal
    When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at
    you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".
    -- Linus Torvalds

Actually we do have a Fischer Price monitor, no longer need to use it. But I have a reasonable set of radios that xmit and recv, that I have either built or bought ...

and the odd antenna or three or ten...

Just no moon bounce gear yet.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Originally posted by sadistikal
    One time in an apartment I lived in my next door neighbor was from India and was working over here as a programmer or web developer. At least that is what info I gained from my baby monitor. One day I'm sitting at my computer listening to a baby breathing and the next thing I know....he is having a problem delivering his project on time. Was semi-amusing.
    Sadistikal
    I you can learn allot from scanning.
    I was feeling nasty one morning and was listening to this phone and i even learned that my brothers freind got robbed by a guy with a knife, well he was not robbed, it's a long story.
    I also listening to this phone of this lady i know and i learned that the garage her husband works in got raided and the day after that it got raided again, she also seems to be having a problem with her computer well her modem she says.
    Lots of people using phones in my area seem to dislike the price of plain and train tickets .
    Really interesting scanning is and it can be funny listening to the police in the early morning cause they use strange nicknames you see and just talk as if it was a phone.
    Listening to the coast guard in the morning is good and if you listen at about 7AM you get all the coastguards coming on one after another saying good morning to all the ships , sweet.
    I haven't checked to see if the coastguards are on duty all night, i'll see about that.

Originally posted by ned patter
    my brothers freind got robbed by a guy with a knife, well he was not robbed, it's a long story.
    Well WAS he or was he NOT robbed? I need to know! Long story is ok, I have plenty of time to read

I think just about the worst thing I've ever heard was the police dispatcher for my town call out an APB (All Points Bulletien) on a, and this is an exact quote, "A Typical Black Male"....

Now.. I understand I live in Alabama but, comon... That's pretty much borderline racism if I've ever heard it especially from the police...

I'm glad I wasn't born here...
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Ok my freind i will do this just for you .

Ok a guy came up to him with a knife and said "are you 20 year old" and my brothers freind said "i a am" and he just said "alright" and went away..
    Not that long a story .

I think just about the worst thing I've ever heard was the police dispatcher for my town call out an APB (All Points Bulletien) on a, and this is an exact quote, "A Typical Black Male"....

Now.. I understand I live in Alabama but, comon... That's pretty much borderline racism if I've ever heard it especially from the police...

I'm glad I wasn't born here...
    Well these kind of things i hear often to but not racist remarks but well people don't have a problem if someone said " a typical girl".

So far i have heard a few comments but the one that really got me annoyed is this "An officer was attending to youths smashing school windows so this officer attended and said on the radio "nothings happening hear, it seems it was a frigment of the complainers imagination", i'm not sure if frigments the right word, it probadly isn't, i have the recording on some file.
    I can't think of anything else sept from very early in the morning they came across an asylum seeker and the police never had any clue what to do with him, anyway that's more than a comment.

I've got a really old cordless phone (doesn't work now though) that had dip-switches to change the channel.

One day when I was bored I was playing with the switches and came across a few cordless phone conversations. Some of the things people talk about are absolutely hilarious.

One person was complaining to another about her boyfriend, another was talking about an itchy bum, a third was calling the local school to complain, etc.

After my experience I stuck to corded phones exclusively until I get an Ericsson DECT system which uses encryption so it can't be listened into without significant difficulty

As for scanners; we've had significant trouble with some Uniden ones lately - not picking up local frequencies, etc. I don't know the exact model numbers but it seems that sometimes it can be a hit and miss with regards to reception, etc.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

I was listening to the scanner one day and some of the things the police say are just ridiculously stupid.

I live right near a football stadium (so close sometimes people have been rude enough to park in our driveway until we walk out and tell them to move their car).

One day during a match there was a report of people going and looking into cars. The description was "white male wearing football jersey". The response was "Gee, that really narrows it down" in a sarcastic tone. I just laughed - considering there were thousands of people matching that description

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Originally posted by shaunewing

I was listening to the scanner one day and some of the things the police say are just ridiculously stupid.

I live right near a football stadium (so close sometimes people have been rude enough to park in our driveway until we walk out and tell them to move their car).

One day during a match there was a report of people going and looking into cars. The description was "white male wearing football jersey". The response was "Gee, that really narrows it down" in a sarcastic tone. I just laughed - considering there were thousands of people matching that description

--Shaun
    LOL. The daftys the police are .

Here's some things to do with a scanner..
    If you like live in a place, a warm place that is go out and see if there's anyone outside using a cordless phone and if there is go and see if you can tune into it and walk past them with your scanner up full..

2. if you have a car go and record some police stuff and go past youths in your car, i have never tried it cause i don't have a car but i can imagine there faces but remember to shout something at them like "hey you what the **** are you looking at?" cause they think your the police right cause they can hear the radio and they wouldn't expect you to say that and go mad at them and i mean swear loads and then switch the tape off and put some S club 7 on or something then drive away and then they wish they strangled you cause they know your not the police because of the music you just put on so yes just drive away in style.

Ned, your sig should say:
    Hi, i'm mr mcnaughty.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™