Page 1 of 12 1234 11 ... LastLast

"Liam - OxyUK" - Our Latest TV Star [merged]

It seems WHT member Liam - OxyUK is going to be our latest TV star.

He's one of the contestants on this years UK Big Brother. This years show has 12 young 'stars' in the house, while being controlled by UK celebs acting as Big Brother.

It seems the fact that Liam started his Web hosting business at the age of eight (now 19) was enough to get him a place on the show and therefore in the run for the 50,000 prize. Do us all a favour and get the word out about Web hosting. Maybe by the end of the show everybody in the UK will finally know what we do and sell for a living.

Congratulations Liam! FYI (if you read this thread before you go in the house, or after you get out), the producers also contacted me to see if I wanted to be on the show as their resident young entrepreneur. You started your business while you were six years younger than me, so I guess your story was better. You bugger!

Meet the Contestants - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7169525.stm (Liam is in photo #7)
    - Jamie Harrop
      0 Not allowed!

This should be interesting...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie View Post
    It seems the fact that Liam started his Web hosting business at the age of eight (now 19) was enough to get him a place on the show and therefore in the run for the 50,000 prize.
    Eight?! Crikey.
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!
      0 Not allowed!

you cant honestly beleive their gunna air the word "web hosting talk"..... they might however if WHT paid them to allow it. their sense it out with some audio of birds or a plane...

i like it when BB is on lets me catch up on the sounds of nature cause their forever blocking audio out. grrr...

im gunna host a show when i win the lottery called BBRL big broghter real life and let it all air out sod it. if people have a problem with it why watch it.

god dam broadcasting rules and regs.
      0 Not allowed!

I wasnt planing on watching BB but I think I will definitly watch a couple of shows now.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    you cant honestly beleive their gunna air the word "web hosting talk"..... they might however if WHT paid them to allow it. their sense it out with some audio of birds or a plane...

i like it when BB is on lets me catch up on the sounds of nature cause their forever blocking audio out. grrr...

im gunna host a show when i win the lottery called BBRL big broghter real life and let it all air out sod it. if people have a problem with it why watch it.

god dam broadcasting rules and regs.
    Somebody woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning.

Nope, he might not say "Web Hosting Talk", but Liam may tell his housemates about the exciting world of a Web host. All that sitting at the desk. All the suspending and fraud detecting. The housemates will be hanging on his every word!
    - Jamie Harrop
      0 Not allowed!

Haha very cool, i'm actually kind of jealous. Maybe Liam will get to hook up with the beauty queen
      0 Not allowed!

SO i got a purple tank..beat that ..pink is always second place..
    lol well hes lucky..im trying to get into tv or movies...acting basically ..no luck yet well because i only send ersumes and never "Follow up"...

maybe sooner or later
    if i do ill promote WHT :O
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?
      0 Not allowed!

maybe it would have been better to give him a WHT T shirt to wear in the house.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Sounds interesting, looks like ill be tuning in again.

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    Haha see what you mean there, they have to block out certain bits on the live show or else they would have nothing to show on the 9Oclock one. Annoying if your watching!
      0 Not allowed!

You know this might be crazy... but this might be the first time I actullay watch BB just to see how he gets on.
      0 Not allowed!

The guy lives in my town (year below me at college) and is a bit full of himself. One of the last times he posted here he was picked apart.

I don't usually watch big brother but this will be entertainment

Good luck to him though if that's what he wants to do. I personally couldn't stand it in there. The last few series have just been full of crazy people.
    Last edited by Kemik; 01-03-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    Sean
      0 Not allowed!

I knew they should have chosen me!

Anyway, I still wish him the best of luck. Having had multiple phone calls with the Big Brother producers, I know just how difficult it was to get on the show (this year they were inviting people, rather than taking applications from anybody who felt the need to apply). The application form alone was somewhere around 20 pages.
    - Jamie Harrop
      0 Not allowed!

I happen to be watching this now and it's making me cringe. :| Big Brother is something I wouldn't usually watch; but I noticed this thread so I decided to watch it. Reading the previous thread the meantioned individual isn't someone I'd naturally support but I'll see how it goes...

This is really making me cringe.
      0 Not allowed!

I hope the newspapers and people take a liking to him...or else we'll see one unholy character assasination. and skeletons appearing from every hidey hole.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

From http://www.channel4.com/bigbrother/h...ile.jsp?id=210
    The company has been responsible for hosting 2 million websites for clients worldwide and Liam has 12 people working for him with a current turnover of 200,000.
    From his own website http://www.oxyuktechnologies.com/aboutus.html
    Since its launch we have catered our solutions to individuals & SMEs from around the world and manage a network which hosts over 100,000 websites worldwide.
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!
      0 Not allowed!

Jay,

That is what I was thinking when they said "turns over 200,000 a year" and has worked with "250,000" companies world wide. A slight decline from 2,000,000. *rolls eyes*
      0 Not allowed!

I'm guessing either channel 4 inflated the numbers or he incorrectly filled in the application form. I have to say the second one is more likely but surely Channel 4 would research this? This gives me doubts about him starting when he was 8 years old too.

I'm not watching it at the moment, can't stand the show but might watch one day to just check how Liam is doing.
      0 Not allowed!

Maybe he showed them website stats and said "Look I've had 2,000,000 hits ermm... I mean customers since we launched in 2001!" but even that's pretty high.

Hosting 100,000 websites worldwide doesn't make sense if he only pulls in 200,000 in revenue a year. Unless he charges 2 a year for hosting

Maybe he means 100,000 files and they thought "oh u mean websites"?

Oh well. They're only stats. Don't suppose it really matters now. He's on the show
    Sean
      0 Not allowed!

let's be serious for a moment.

the very best of luck to him and i do hope he wins....but starting his hosting business at 8 years old *cough*

still..he would have to bend things a little or a lot as it seems to get on....which by the way will most likely be his downfall when the press start digging as they tend to do with BB...cause they just love to bring people crashing back to earth with an almighty bang.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

He stated he hosted "two million sites" back in this thread (webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=448560). Presumably he used those same "inflated" figures when providing a blurb to Channel 4...
    Owen Rudge
    Zernebok Hosting, Ltd. - high quality shared, reseller and VPS hosting for low prices!
      0 Not allowed!

I might have thought that Channel 4 or the people that look into the potential housemates would verify any claims that have been provided to them by the candidates. I guess we will just have to see what happens.

Best of luck to all housemates, but I'm not entirely sure that the boxer guy with the striped suit was too pleased when John revealed he had been told to lie to them all.
      0 Not allowed!

lol...wouldn't it be a hoot if Jade Goody & her mum came back into the house...anyone's worst nightmare

I'd be over the wall in an instant.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

http://billing.oxyuk.com/

Does ClientExec even scale to this many users within the database?

Hosting business at 8?

I'm surprised Big Brother did not see through these obvious lies.

Best of luck for success on the show and no hard feelings, but all of the details regarding this "business" appear to be fabricated.
      0 Not allowed!

hmm...maybe he meant 100,000 domains...

oxyuktechnologies.com
    IP Addresses: 209.157.71.50
    IP Country: United States
    Reverse IP Lookup: IP hosts 129,679 domains

Hosting Company Name:
    ICANN Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    Creation Date: Jun 22 2006
    Expiry Date: Jun 22 2008

http://whois.webhosting.info/oxyuktechnologies.com

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

If you go to that IP directly in your browser though, you appear to end up on "Homestead Technologies" - so by the look of it, he's hosting his main site (or all his sites?) with another provider anyway!
    Last edited by orudge; 01-03-2008 at 07:10 PM.
    Owen Rudge
    Zernebok Hosting, Ltd. - high quality shared, reseller and VPS hosting for low prices!
      0 Not allowed!

It's too bad that the IP in question doesn't belong to one of OxyUK's servers, but rather homestead. Yes, that's right, they're hosting their website with homstead yet they supposedly host 2 million websites for their customers.

# host oxyuktechnologies.com
    oxyuktechnologies.com has address 209.157.71.50
    oxyuktechnologies.com mail is handled by 10 inbound.homesteadmail.com.

# host 209.157.71.50
    50.71.157.209.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer www.homestead.com.
    50.71.157.209.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer kartoffelsoft.com.
      0 Not allowed!

http://www.oxyuktechnologies.com/dom...ion/index.html

I didn't realise you could run out of domains to sell?
    Sean
      0 Not allowed!

One thing I don't don't understand..

He says 200k revenue (not profit)..

But for his sake, lets assume 200k profit per year.

He has 12 staff members.

200k / 12 = 16.6k per year.

That's a damn low salary..

Now consider taxes + costs.. It means each employee would be getting around 10k by my guess.

You would get more by working in McDonalds perhaps?
      0 Not allowed!

hmm the plot thickens...

i went to 209.157.71.50 ....then looked through their "Design Gallery"

http://209.157.71.50/~gallery/templa...02A/index.html

a little manipulation with that plate and bingo

http://oxyuktechnologies.com/

oh dear....he'll get toasted on BB

how long does big brother last = about 3 weeks? because on his site it says....Thanks for your interest in our domain registration services, due to high demand over the christmas period we are not currently accepting new orders.

During January we are expanding our network and will relaunch this service on 01/02/08....is he also a one man team and has to shut because he's on big brother lmfao

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 01-03-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

I found a link to cpanel.. http://www.oxyuktechnologies.com/cpanel/

Which then leads to another domain http://www.oxyonline.com/ I assume this is the server with his clients...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    One thing I don't don't understand..

He says 200k revenue (not profit)..

But for his sake, lets assume 200k profit per year.

He has 12 staff members.

200k / 12 = 16.6k per year.

That's a damn low salary..

Now consider taxes + costs.. It means each employee would be getting around 10k by my guess.

You would get more by working in McDonalds perhaps?
    It's more likely 12 people doing oddjobs and design work. And even more likely not full-time employees.
      0 Not allowed!

I think he does have some "staff" but their out of office, probably temp staff from forums. Another email appears on a whois info I saw but I cannot remember the address.

Big brother lasts more than a month as far as I know. Doesn't one person get voted off each week?

His company is registered but not to the address on his site. That's probably a virtual office from a quick google search. I assume VAT number is right so he must be pulling in some cash. I say that because why would anyone get VAT registered for less than 30k a year?
    Sean
      0 Not allowed!

oh...look what we have here

http://whois.webhosting.info/oxyonline.com

oxyonline.com
    IP Addresses: 208.101.63.208
    IP Country: United States
    Reverse IP Lookup: IP hosts 97 domains

Hosting Company Name:
    ICANN Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Creation Date: Jan 14 2005
    Expiry Date: Jan 14 2008 <----hope he's renewed it

Web Server: N/A
    Website Status: N/A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=-=-=-=
    Visit AboutUs.org for more information about oxyonline.com
    AboutUs: oxyonline.com

Domain name: oxyonline.com

Registrant Contact:
    OxyUK Technologies
    Liam Young ()
    +44.8701160823
    Fax: +44.8701160823
    OxyUK HQ
    UK, NA
    GB

LOL.....2,000,000 sites *cough* *cough* more like 100

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 01-03-2008 at 07:30 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Subdomains? Googling oxyonline.com brings up a few but there won't be 99,900
    Sean
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    LOL.....2,000,000 sites *cough* *cough* more like 100
    Boo, wish Jamie got on the show instead.
      0 Not allowed!

208.101.62.90 is the primary IP for that system.

# host 208.101.62.90
    90.62.101.208.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer red.oxyuk.net.62.101.208.in-addr.arpa.

If he's been in the industry since he was 8, one would hope that he knows how to set a PTR record properly by now...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kemik View Post
    I think he does have some "staff" but their out of office, probably temp staff from forums. Another email appears on a whois info I saw but I cannot remember the address.

Big brother lasts more than a month as far as I know. Doesn't one person get voted off each week?

His company is registered but not to the address on his site. That's probably a virtual office from a quick google search. I assume VAT number is right so he must be pulling in some cash. I say that because why would anyone get VAT registered for less than 30k a year?
    He said on TV that he has a "physical office" and has 12 staff working for him..

Either way, his numbers don't add up..

Personality wise he may be a great guy.. but his maths skills are indeed lacking..
      0 Not allowed!

hmm...anyone though of selling this story to "The Sun" or "News Of The World" yet

Might be worth a few quid

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    208.101.62.90 is the primary IP for that system.

# host 208.101.62.90
    90.62.101.208.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer red.oxyuk.net.62.101.208.in-addr.arpa.

If he's been in the industry since he was 8, one would hope that he knows how to set a PTR record properly by now...

straight for the jugular there dude

I wish that Jamie had got on instead....but then again...Jamie will have been totally honest and that's what usually happens. Still...maybe in a few days..he'll be glad he didn't get on.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 01-03-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 12 1234 11 ... LastLast