Will i lose my domain name whilst transferring?

I have recently applied to transfer my .com domain to a 1&1 package. Although I did this a couple of days ago the transfer may not go through for another 8 days.

The Problem is that my domain name is due to expire in three days time!

Is there anyway I can renew the domain whilst it is in the process of transferring? If not how can i go about registering it again and will I incur an extra charge?

I tried 1&1 but theu were little use help so please help if you can....thanks....ODMassive, UK

Generally you have a little time between the time the domain expires and the time you have to renew it if you want to keep it. So you should not have a problem. But I am not 100% sure. I have never had a domain expire while being transfered.

I'd renew the domain then move it. You'll get 2 years registration so it's not the end of the world. I think I have had a domain expire part way through, but can't realy remember.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

The site was previously controlled by a small local company my friend brought into set up his website and arrange domains, hosting etc.

Now this company is trying to screw him down for money for no reason. I said I could transfer it for him. As the domain expires this weekend do I then need to go back to the local company and ask them to renew it?

I'm not sure I can renew it until it transfers successfully can I?

Thanks

My domain name has just expired. Can my registrar require me to pay for a renewal before I can transfer to a new registrar?

No. Your new registrar of choice can initiate a transfer request on an expired domain name once they receive the required authorization from you. Expiration or nonrenewal of a domain name is not a valid reason for denial of a transfer request.

Note that if the registrar has already begun the deletion process on the domain name and its status shows it to be within a 30-day Redemption Grace Period, the name must be .restored. by your current registrar before it can be transferred.
    From http://www.icann.org/transfers/dnholder-faq-03nov04.htm

All registrars handle this situation differently. Where is it registered now?
    Signature Under Construction.

Once you renew it, you will not be able to transfer it for another 60 days

Quote Originally Posted by dnki View Post
    Curious where you got that.

ODMassive, you actually can transfer the domain name to another registrar even if it's a few days within its expiration. Just be aware that the losing registrar might have policies handling that, so they're the ones you can talk to.

Of course, make sure the domain name is under your name and control. Otherwise, things could get...ugly.

ODMassive, when you initiate a transfer, the admin email Id get a mail to approve it, so have you approved it?

If you have approved it, then transfer will be successful (if domain was not in lock status).

Now if for any reason transfer fails, you can renew the domain with the existing provider, as you get almost a month of grace period.

Hopefully you must be knowing that the transfer will also add a year of registration. In case of failed transfer and if you have renewed the domain with the existing provider, you can still transfer the domain but that most probably will not give you an additional year of registration, safe period to transfer after renewal is around 60 days.

But since your existing provider is playing games for money, priority should be to safeguard your domain ASAP.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

You will be able to transfer it, but within these 60 days, your new registrar is not obliged to add one year to your domain, although many do, e.g. resellerclub.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the headsup.

P.S You learn something new every day.

If you use two domain names registrars or resellers that allow you having your own control panel, the transfer will be nearly seamless, with no downtimes but sometimes people use the web hosting providers for having domains and this might cause some delays. Just contact them.

Certainly renew then transfer as you dont want to be offline for any period, or for the transfer to fail.

*sometimes* the transfer doesnt add the additional year on when done close to a renewal, or the transfer simply fails (depending on the extension) - different registries have different rules, with many not allowing transfers for upto 60 days after any renewal.

It can take upto 10 days for transfers to complete, but most often now as long as the admin contact quickly follows through on teh auth, has the EPP etc, they're IME taking anything from 5 hours to 3 days.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I thought it was not possible to transfer a domain within the last 6 days prior to its expiration??
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

Quote Originally Posted by sinohosting View Post
    I thought it was not possible to transfer a domain within the last 6 days prior to its expiration??
    No. Even expired domains could be transferred.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    No. Even expired domains could be transferred.
    Some registration companies get around that by not allowing you to unlock a domain or generate an EPP code after expiry, and becuase the registrant agreed to those conditions at signup - because of course they always *read* the T&C's rather than simply getting hypnotised by the flashing graphic of the price - the companies get away with it.

What I dont understand though, is why anyone would risk disruption to their sites/services by not simply renewing it with the existing registrar ! The potential for disaster/downtime cannot be worth those few saved dollars ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    What I dont understand though, is why anyone would risk disruption to their sites/services by not simply renewing it with the existing registrar ! The potential for disaster/downtime cannot be worth those few saved dollars ...
    Most people who transfer away HATE their existing registrars, and are therefore not willing to pay them even a buck. I agree though it's too risky to transfer last minute, esp. when the losing registrar is not exactly friendly.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    the registrant agreed to those conditions at signup - because of course they always *read* the T&C's rather than simply getting hypnotised by the flashing graphic of the price - ...
    That's the best part , good one

Quote Originally Posted by sinohosting View Post
    all registrars treat this situation differently.. its cause of ICANN policy of renewal during transfer.. this collides during expiry with the auto renewals most registrars do during expiry.. so what happens here is if you try to transfer your domain during expiry your loosing registrar will charge you for the renewal he has already placed on your behalf.. and you will be charged at the gaining registrar for the transfer-in/ renewal... (ICANN transfer policy generally takes more than 5 working days.. due to the loosing registrar..blah blah..)

Now your loosing registrar will cancel his renewal and hence your expiry date will only be one year ahead while you will be charged twice for his..

my $.02-- transfer 15 days before expiry, its not that difficult...

I think that 60 day transfer lock is only for new registrations and not renewals...