Quick review of GoDaddy Hosting: 2+ years of service

After almost 3 years of having my sites hosted on GoDaddy, I figured I would make a post. I posted 2 years ago about them and I still have positive things to say (see my old GoDaddy post here).

For starters... right now I have 2 sites hosted with them, both on shared plans ($3.99/month each). The sites are:

www.subnixus.net

www.iwah.org

Uptime: Let me point out the fact that I make my living on-line. All of my money is made through www.subnixus.net and I wouldn't put up with downtime. I have never noticed any downtime in the 2+ years of service. Hard to believe, yes... but it's a fact.

Speed: Check it for yourself. My sites are always very fast.

Support: Personally, I rarely call support. In 2+ years I have maybe called 3 times. On those times I did need support, my call was answered in under 5 minutes and the tech support agent knew enough to answer my question.

The Control Panel: GoDaddy does not use cPanel... they have a custom control panel. It's not as strong as cPanel, but it works. In fact, I've grown to like its simplicity over the years.

Conclusion: It's true that my sites don't use a lot of resources, get a lot of hits, or use a huge database. Which could be the reason why my sites never have problems. However, if you run a simple website, GoDaddy gets the job done nicely.

I've thought about moving to other hosts over the past few years, but I don't want to jinx anything.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Good for you! I've read both positive and negative things about them in the past. But I know they're inexpensive and if they meet your needs, why switch?
    Cpanel Hosting - Fast , Reliable, Stable, Secure - Since 1996
    CPanel/WHM Fantastico RVSkin Dual Quad Core Servers Raid 10 24x7 Toll-Free Phone Support

I use godaddy hosting for 2 years.(3 site)
    everything is ok. But i think godaddy should provide SSH and external database connect.

All I can say is WOW!
    Subigo, let me tell you... subnixus was the first english blog I ever read some years ago (I'm Romanian) and it was one of the first things that inspired and encouraged me to become a web entrepreneur. Thank you for your old posts
    I still remember it, January 2006 I mailed you asking what platform are you using to publish. You told me it's wordpress and I was in love with it ever since. Two weeks later I opened my first wordpress blog and two years later (now) I'm blogger number 30 in country. All I can say is Thank you!

P.S: at the time I'm writing this post your sites aren't loading for me, not even using a US proxy.
    Last edited by Siropel; 01-03-2008 at 03:08 AM.
    Got Fused?

Quote Originally Posted by Siropel View Post
    All I can say is WOW!
    Subigo, let me tell you... subnixus was the first english blog I ever read some 2-3 years ago (I'm Romanian) and it was one of the first things that inspired and encouraged me to become a web entrepreneur. Thank you for your old posts

P.S: at the time I'm writing this post your sites aren't loading.
    lol... really? That's nuts... I actually sold my main blog, subnixus.com last year and allowed the guy that bought it to keep my name up on it. That's awesome that you've come so far... I obviously stopped blogging and opened my own PR firm.

Strange that they don't load for you, I've been uploading stuff to both of them for the past 2 hours.

very useful review. thanks.
    ResellerTemple.Com & CsIdea.US
    Marketing & Design & Programming for Competitive Price!

They started loading after a few minutes. I know you sold it, I stoped reading it at that point. I miss your old articles though.
    Got Fused?

Godaddy rocks and rolls

hi i use Godaddy all hosts shared, virtual dedicated and dedicated more than 5 years. I started with smallest shared firstly and used others by time.
    I am a reseller of godaddy nearly for 3 years too.
    Me or my customers use more than 100+ hosting account with them.
    You are right that they do this job the best in usa .
    I have never been outcharged, mostly they payback when they decrease prices.
    They always tell when they are going to stop service, make changes on server.

Here one story, 2 months ago they send me an email that they are going to make some work on the place where my servers are staying at March 2008. They informed me 5 months before, very enough time for me to take necessary action.

They always give the whole information w/o any tricks.

For shared hosting and virtual dedicated hosting i always use GoDaddy unmanaged servers.

I mostly do not use their dedicated servers, this is because the prices are higher for me. I made only 4 dedicated with them, but this is because i am offering dedicated servers at my office via my 20mbit/sec internet connection. This is more cheaper, and servers are under my control and i can make loadbalance within servers. If i did not have a 20mbit connection i would also prefer godaddy.

For everyone i recommend godaddy, they have automated payment system.

I rarely use other very cheap shared hosters(ie cheap top 10 best hoster junk), but those companies always fail to grab domain name immediately, mosty they register domain name 2-4 days after placing an order.

Here one story
    when i went a cheap hoster for a domain name and hosting for the first time. i placed payment. waited them to register my name, 2 hours passed name was not registered. i wanted to make a play with them and registered my domain name with my godaddy reseller account. 2 days passed, that cheap company did not respond. After 3 days cheap hoster send me a message that the domain name i selected was already registered. They recommended me to select other domain name. I understood that cheap companies register names manually. It is impossible for them to beat godaddy service quality.

When Godaddy starts to offer load balancing i ll buy 4 more servers with them, i love their service.

I always recommend Godaddy to all people. If by any case you do not prefer Godaddy i recommend RackSpace. For me there are only 2 companies that deserve my money in the world within this industry, GoDaddy and RackSpace.

Libertes, can you please provide some domains you are hosting with Godaddy? These reviews almost make me want to signup with them.
    I believe you but I still want to see how they load, mostly the shared ones that also use mysql.
    Got Fused?

I have never noticed any downtime in the 2+ years of service.
    Was there any automated monitoring involved or is that based on your/your staff's hands on experience visiting the site?
    Last edited by ldcdc; 01-03-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Nice review, I have been thinking about going through them but instead I went to 1and1. Just stopped my 1ana1 hosting cause of some problems I'm now thinking of switching to godaddy.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Was there any automated monitoring involved or is that based on your/your staff's hands on experience visiting the site?
    We used Alerta for the first year, but canceled the service during the second year. So it's true that the sites might have been down and we just didn't notice. However, we are actively on the site (subnixus) for about 18 hours a day 7 days a week.

Thank you for the details. Just trying to get a clear picture. Alertra not finding any downtime for a year, is indeed a feat.

I've had bad experiences with godady. This host is one i never recommended to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    For starters... right now I have 2 sites hosted with them, both on shared plans ($3.99/month each).

Uptime: Let me point out the fact that I make my living on-line. All of my money is made through www.subnixus.net and I wouldn't put up with downtime.
    On one hand, if you can make $100,000/yr. off a website costing you $48/yr. to host, why change? On the other hand, your vendor only cares about you as much as you pay them to care about you.

I'm back to make an update to my original post... I guess it's kind of funny that just 2 weeks later I'm making this post to say one thing: I'm no longer with GoDaddy.

A few days ago something came along that required me to put up a few more low bandwidth sites (5 actually). GoDaddy's main downfall in my opinion has always been the lack of addon domains (real addons)... so instead of dishing out the cash for 3 more accounts ($12 more a month), I went looking for a new host.

I ultimately went with A Small Orange at www.asmallorange.com for 2 reasons. First, I've always heard good things about them. Second, they offer unlimited sites for only $5 a month, total.

And the fact that I found a working coupon code that gave me the first month free ($5 off with the code freefive) didn't hurt things either. I didn't even have to give any credit card information.

So, goodbye GoDaddy, you were good but it looks like ASO has my business now...

After all, do you recommend this service?!